got a 9.0!

damn i need to get sum money....rugby league 2 and Rugby challenge 2006

<

Originally posted by kinkon89@Sep 21 2005, 12:48 AM
thanks!

got a 9.0!

<
RC06 is gonna have to be VERY different in play to WCR for me to even look at it once I have my grubby hands on NRL2! I spoke to a guy who works at my local store who said he's played it and he reckons it makes RL1 look like a PS1 gam in all aspects! The best Rugby game ever made!

Originally posted by sanzar+Sep 21 2005, 03:55 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Sep 21 2005, 03:55 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-kinkon89
@Sep 21 2005, 12:48 AM
thanks!

got a 9.0!

<
RC06 is gonna have to be VERY different in play to WCR for me to even look at it once I have my grubby hands on NRL2! I spoke to a guy who works at my local store who said he's played it and he reckons it makes RL1 look like a PS1 gam in all aspects! The best Rugby game ever made! [/b]
which local Sanzar

i recall you knowing someone at Harvey Norman Moore Park? - is that the one

that is very good info nonetheless

Originally posted by ak47+Sep 21 2005, 04:23 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Sep 21 2005, 04:23 PM)</div>
Originally posted by sanzar@Sep 21 2005, 03:55 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-kinkon89
thanks!

got a 9.0!

<

RC06 is gonna have to be VERY different in play to WCR for me to even look at it once I have my grubby hands on NRL2! I spoke to a guy who works at my local store who said he's played it and he reckons it makes RL1 look like a PS1 gam in all aspects! The best Rugby game ever made!
which local Sanzar

that is very good info nonetheless [/b]
Yeah, he reckons he's been to HES a couple weeks ago with reps of other stores and he got to play it. He was absolutely blown away by it!

Originally posted by sanzar+Sep 21 2005, 05:49 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Sep 21 2005, 05:49 PM)</div>
Originally posted by ak47@Sep 21 2005, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by sanzar@Sep 21 2005, 03:55 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-kinkon89
thanks!

got a 9.0!

<

which local Sanzar

that is very good info nonetheless
Yeah, he reckons he's been to HES a couple weeks ago with reps of other stores and he got to play it. He was absolutely blown away by it! [/b]
even better news

this is the best news of rl2 thus far

A respected friend of a respected TRF member "blown away"

this is bible we are in for a treat...................lovin it

The GP review says it all though I reckon:
Originally posted by GamePro Australia
... However, the biggest thing in Rugby League 2's favour is developer Sidhe Interactive's obvious love for the game. Many of the features, gameplay mechanics and options on offer are far from generic and wonderfully tapered to best excite the sports faithful...

Great review to kick off with
<

Originally posted by kinkon89@Sep 21 2005, 12:48 AM
thanks!

got a 9.0!

<
Yeah, they got a 9 and said the cons were because the controls are complicated and it is a steep but short learning curve.

Now if you ask me..................that isn't a con.

Complicated controls that have a steep learning curve are a disadvantage if the curve is a long one. However it looks like the curve though steep (good - seperates the men from the babies) is actually short which means it is accessible to most if not all proficient players who put effort into it. A bit like FN2.......controls slightly complicated but once you get the hang of it you are thankful that there are that many options on your controller.

We should realise that complicated means "options"

Originally posted by Gay-Guy+Sep 21 2005, 06:28 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Sep 21 2005, 06:28 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-kinkon89
thanks!

got a 9.0!

<
Yeah, they got a 9 and said the cons were because the controls are complicated and it is a steep but short learning curve.

Now if you ask me..................that isn't a con.

Complicated controls that have a steep learning curve are a disadvantage if the curve is a long one. However it looks like the curve though steep (good - seperates the men from the babies) is actually short which means it is accessible to most if not all proficient players who put effort into it. A bit like FN2.......controls slightly complicated but once you get the hang of it you are thankful that there are that many options on your controller.

We should realise that complicated means "options" [/b]
Absolutely! The more complex the controls, the more you can do with them! The detail here just sounds so fantastic! Like being able to "strip" the ball from players in one on one tackles, thats never been in a rugby game before. It just sounds like it's littered with innovation here.

Exactly. League games need to have tons and tons of options with its play to make it successful which I hope Mario and Co have done. Simple pass and kick will not do in a league game as the variety of game set pieces is not as wide as union. Therefore (and I am hoping) a developer of a league game would have needed to focus on more micro than macro intricacies to make the game interesting for gamers.

If they can create detailed and numerous situations for the pre, actual, and post contact situations regarding both attacker and defender/s, then combine this with holistic team patterns and varied options for support players on attack and defence..........well........we might have the new model for footie games for all manufactuers to follow.

.........and I and others may convert to leagueas the game we follow with interest.

Has the presenation for the game improved, by that I mean does it feel like a TV Broadcast? When the Goal Kicker takes a shot at Goal do we see his Kicking stats so far for the game? In Franchise Mode when a Player scores a try do we see a stat overlay come up with his Game and Season totals?

Originally posted by Ripper@Sep 22 2005, 09:47 AM
Has the presenation for the game improved, by that I mean does it feel like a TV Broadcast? When the Goal Kicker takes a shot at Goal do we see his Kicking stats so far for the game? In Franchise Mode when a Player scores a try do we see a stat overlay come up with his Game and Season totals?
Without knowing for sure.............well you would EXPECT it to have improved.

The glaring errors in the first one were to obvious to miss. That side view had blind spots! 4 camera angles which could not be adjusted is not good enough.

With the definite improvement in the player models you would expect something easier like game presentation would have been taken care of as well.

i still reckon sidhe should make a union game, and have all the players like pro evo/blic so we can change them etc. if sidhe made that it would blow ea out of the water
<

damn i am looking forward to this game....

League is looking very good indeed

But i have one gripe that is terrorising my mind

The camera angles

It is imperative to get a good camera angle...especially from the side

Rugby League 1 failed in this BIG TIME

The benchmark angle, and still to this day 15 years later, nobody has adopted the JLR sidecam

Rugby 2005 did ok, but Rugby League 1 failed............u couldnt even see the defense at the play the ball in sidecam

On the FAQ not much at all is mentioned of new angles, apart from a new behind cam..............but what about the side cam???..................if its the same as rugby league 1, this game will not take advantage of the "Greatness" perceived in the reviews

its been a heated discussion for many years, but its black n white in my opinion - JLR sidecam or Cheap seats behind cam.................JLR sidecam the only way to go

Originally posted by woosaah@Sep 22 2005, 10:07 AM
i still reckon sidhe should make a union game, and have all the players like pro evo/blic so we can change them etc. if sidhe made that it would blow ea out of the water
<

damn i am looking forward to this game....
One thing at a time for sidhe.

The developers are league nuts so this RL will be their first choice. If their league game is hugely successful then they will probably make another one after that to consolidate its worth as a continuing series. If it does grow bigger then they will have a bit more resources to expand and add a new ***le like a union game basing it off their league game engine. This decision will probably be made as a result of whether the competition EA and Swordfish have games that are similar or lesser in quality. At the moment it is a big task in itself just to make one ***le for any development team, let alone a small one.

But it would be a real bragging rights point if Sidhe sense they have the goods in the future to cross over and show the union developers how to make a proper union game.
<
Especially considering one of them is EA and have been doing rugby games since World Cup 95 on megadrive.

Originally posted by Gay-Guy@Sep 22 2005, 10:28 AM
But it would be a real bragging rights point if Sidhe sense they have the goods in the future to cross over and show the union developers how to make a proper union game.
<
Especially considering one of them is EA and have been doing rugby games since World Cup 95 on megadrive.
I am one that does believe that Sidhe will be the #1 developer in union/league games

The sports are near identical...u only need the get the engine right

Analogy - this League engine is like an M3 or a Ferrari, whereas EA's Union have the Golf Cart, or victor rideon lawnmowers

Originally posted by ak47@Sep 22 2005, 10:27 AM
its been a heated discussion for many years, but its black n white in my opinion - JLR sidecam or Cheap seats behind cam.................JLR sidecam the only way to go
And with camera editing in lots of soccer games............I mean, how hard can it be?

The typical side cam for most sports games is the trolley one which follows the ball up and down the field. JLR was great because it stopped at the 22 and panned towards the goal line. I mean how hard can this be to recreate?!!!!! (R2005 did it!) With camera editing in most sports games you can even have a "trolley edit" where you determine exactly how far down the line you want the cam to go down before stopping and panning to the tryline. Seriously, it is so common now that there is nothing breaking in technology here so WTH! Just do it.

JLR was also revolutionary because it zoomed in at rucks (WCR also gave this a go) giving you a closer look at the tackle situation. R2005 failed to do this which meant it looked to much like watching a soccer match on tv. League and rugby coverage on tv in real life is absolutely dependent on the need to switch to the close cam at the tackle the ball situaltion. You always know when the broadcasting on tv has a problem when they stay with one cam for too long, especially in league where you need to see the contest at the tackle.

JLR also drifted the camera INFIELD from the sideline when the ball went across to the other side of the field, up to halfway acroos the field to catch the action. This gives the player a sense of being part of all the action, almost like being in the game itself. The first RL instalment was shocking trying to figure out the small details of what was going on across the field. The "trolley" movement across the field could also be adjusted with a cam editor according to what you prefer, whther you like to go a fair way across or just maybe 10 metres in. This coupled with the set height and distance with the zoom that you can adjust (not talking about the zooming in on the tackle situation) and it would be a wow camera!

Also you could have an option called "camera cut" where instead of a zooming in at the tackle situation you had the camera simply cut from the set height and distance cam to the close cam, just like in real life!

Wow, imagine playing a league game where the side cam was done almost like in real life broadcasting.

To this day only JLR's side cam made you feel like you were engaged as a part of the game spectator wise. Just download the JLR demo off the net to play it so you can see.

Originally posted by Gay-Guy+Sep 22 2005, 12:02 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Sep 22 2005, 12:02 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-ak47
@Sep 22 2005, 10:27 AM
And with camera editing in lots of soccer games............I mean, how hard can it be?

The typical side cam for most sports games is the trolley one which follows the ball up and down the field. JLR was great because it stopped at the 22 and panned towards the goal line. I mean how hard can this be to recreate?!!!!! (R2005 did it!) With camera editing in most sports games you can even have a "trolley edit" where you determine exactly how far down the line you want the cam to go down before stopping and panning to the tryline. Seriously, it is so common now that there is nothing breaking in technology here so WTH! Just do it.

JLR was also revolutionary because it zoomed in at rucks (WCR also gave this a go) giving you a closer look at the tackle situation. R2005 failed to do this which meant it looked to much like watching a soccer match on tv. League and rugby coverage on tv in real life is absolutely dependent on the need to switch to the close cam at the tackle the ball situaltion. You always know when the broadcasting on tv has a problem when they stay with one cam for too long, especially in league where you need to see the contest at the tackle.

JLR also drifted the camera INFIELD from the sideline when the ball went across to the other side of the field, up to halfway acroos the field to catch the action. This gives the player a sense of being part of all the action, almost like being in the game itself. The first RL instalment was shocking trying to figure out the small details of what was going on across the field. The "trolley" movement across the field could also be adjusted with a cam editor according to what you prefer, whther you like to go a fair way across or just maybe 10 metres in. This coupled with the set height and distance with the zoom that you can adjust (not talking about the zooming in on the tackle situation) and it would be a wow camera!

Also you could have an option called "camera cut" where instead of a zooming in at the tackle situation you had the camera simply cut from the set height and distance cam to the close cam, just like in real life!

Wow, imagine playing a league game where the side cam was done almost like in real life broadcasting.

To this day only JLR's side cam made you feel like you were engaged as a part of the game spectator wise. Just download the JLR demo off the net to play it so you can see. [/b]
Yeah what GG said

That is spot on, and should adopted by all in the sports gaming development

Take note Mario - Especially for the next version, coz I swear this was an issue with Rugby League 1, where at face value as we know it isnt fixed in the sequel

Originally posted by ak47@Sep 22 2005, 10:27 AM
League is looking very good indeed

But i have one gripe that is terrorising my mind

The camera angles

It is imperative to get a good camera angle...especially from the side

Rugby League 1 failed in this BIG TIME
I wouldn't worry too much, from what I understand RL2 has got more numerous camera angles than any other Rugby game out... apparently they went to great lengths to assure that people would be able to play using a view that best suited them.

Latest posts