• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gareth Thomas Enjoys Switching Codes

O

O'Rothlain

"Gareth Thomas Enjoys Switching Codes" - conversation from the frontpage!

I think Thomas will do well in Super League, he has that playing style that translates well to it although he maybe has made the move a few years to late to be fully effective.

Its best for the Crusaders though now that they have a player that the whole of Wales has heard of and the fact that he is playing for a Welsh side in Super League.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Mar 6 2010, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think Thomas will do well in Super League, he has that playing style that translates well to it although he maybe has made the move a few years to late to be fully effective.

Its best for the Crusaders though now that they have a player that the whole of Wales has heard of and the fact that he is playing for a Welsh side in Super League.[/b]
I agree with you. He's a big Welsh name, playing on a Welsh Team. It will definitely bring media and fan attention to the Club, and only if it's a publicity move for both of them, it will work. Should be fun to see him play.

I don't know how well he'll do,
Would like to think he'd do well, but he's getting on a bit to start playing RL.
Wonder what position he'll play, he doesn't really have the pace to play as a back, but not the strength to be a forward. Could just go to centre like he is in Union.
I hope that they'll give him a proper 'trial' before putting him in the team, and not just kick someone out for him, basing it all on previous performance, as the Crusaders are performing very well atm, and it'd be a shame to ruin all that for the sake of having a big name in the starting XIII.

Just read on wikipedia that he'll be Second-row, Wing, Centre and Fullback.
Can only see him doing well at second row from that list

He's too old and will more then likely have even less of a positive impsct in league then Farrell has in union (which was approximately none).

This move is solely a publicity stunt and most likely a paycheck for Thomas to boot. I hope he does well, although I doubt his performances are of any great consequence to either party. I'm looking forward to the arguements that will follow his failure and claims from League fans that said failure proves how superior rugby lite is. Bring it!!

Thed subject of 'how league is a bazillion times better then yawnion' can and regularly does in the M62 corridoor when you make any non-related comment such as "hello". Those comments in relation to Thomas swithing should just be considered background noise and ignored as such.

Why is Thomas stabbing rugby in the back, the game that has given him so much, to generate plenty of publicity for Welsh mungloball?

rugby-proctologia.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Mar 7 2010, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Why is Thomas stabbing rugby in the back, the game that has given him so much, to generate plenty of publicity for Welsh mungloball?

rugby-proctologia.jpg
[/b]

Do tell, how is he stabbing rugby in the back?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Mar 7 2010, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Mar 7 2010, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

rugby-proctologia.jpg
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

He's stabbing rugby in the back because he's going off to play league for the money, which is only going to generate publicity for the Crusaders.

Just like cokehead Wendell Sailor stabbed league in the back, he said so himself he only went to rugby for the money. Now that he plays league he will say anything negative towards rugby when he gets the chance to.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Mar 7 2010, 01:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Mar 7 2010, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

rugby-proctologia.jpg
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

He's stabbing rugby in the back because he's going off to play league for the money, which is only going to generate publicity for the Crusaders.

Just like cokehead Wendell Sailor stabbed league in the back, he said so himself he only went to rugby for the money. Now that he plays league he will say anything negative towards rugby when he gets the chance to.

[/b][/quote]

Gareth Thomas, despite being a dick, has given enough to rugby union. As a record cap earner and try scorer for Wales and a captain of the British and Irish Lions he's earned the respect of many. At the age of 36, when he can't get into the Cardiff team, it can hardly be considered betrayal to take a payday. And anyway, the growth of rugby league in Wales is unlikely to be at the detrement of Union. The Crusaders seem to be focusing on the Northern part of the country, an area where Union has little or no penitration, they aren't even really represented by a region.

Can't really be compared to Sailor, one left during his prime, the other at the tail end of a very illustrious career.

Also, i doubt he'll be getting much more money at Crusaders, or even as much as he was at Blues, considering Crusaders almost went under last season, so aren't going to be splashing the cash...

Why wouldn't he end in career in rugby and help rugby improve as a sport in Wales, instead of playing spit roast ball?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Mar 7 2010, 01:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Why wouldn't he end in career in rugby and help rugby improve as a sport in Wales, instead of playing spit roast ball?[/b]

He's probably thinking "Hey, I've achieved everything I can in Union and it's not likelyI'm going to get anywhere near the national team so why not try my hand at something new and see if I can't help be a part of something important for Welsh League." Can't blame him really.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Mar 7 2010, 01:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

rugby-proctologia.jpg
[/b]

[/b][/quote]
He isn't; that was just an excuse for Dale to make a rubbish homosexuality joke.

I see him playing centre at league... and I doubt he'll make a very good one. Still, a good oppurtunity for League to boost its profile in Wales and for Gareth Thomas to add another chapter to a fantastic career. Wales & Lions Captain, Magners League, Top 14, Heineken Cup, and now Super League... He'll have experienced a hell of a lot come retirement.

And folks, growth of either code of rugby should be welcomed from all of us. Anything to take the attention off football, or the BBC-encouraged American variety.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 7 2010, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I see him playing centre at league... and I doubt he'll make a very good one. Still, a good oppurtunity for League to boost its profile in Wales and for Gareth Thomas to add another chapter to a fantastic career. Wales & Lions Captain, Magners League, Top 14, Heineken Cup, and now Super League... He'll have experienced a hell of a lot come retirement.

And folks, growth of either code of rugby should be welcomed from all of us. Anything to take the attention off football, or the BBC-encouraged American variety.[/b]

Nope, RL growth involves going into rugby heartland, starting a team no one gives two shits about and promoting it as 'rugby'.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Mar 7 2010, 03:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 7 2010, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And folks, growth of either code of rugby should be welcomed from all of us. Anything to take the attention off football, or the BBC-encouraged American variety.[/b]

Nope, RL growth involves going into rugby heartland, starting a team no one gives two shits about and promoting it as 'rugby'.
[/b][/quote]

Like the Rebels?

It's a shame Dale has all that pent up anger and has to make those unfunny jokes or smart-arse comments, because he's actually got a couple of points there. League won't benefit in profile any more by Thomas' switch then Union did when Farrell changed to Union... All that will happen is the die hard braindeads (from both sides of the fence) will start throwing every insult they can at the other code to whoever will listen. Secondly, super league is pretty much an excuse for northern Englanders to continue the war of the roses, they generally shun outsiders for Lancashire or Yorkshire. Considering Crusaders are a former Union team anyway, they're hardly a popular bunch to begin with.

Thomas can also forget this "wonderful support" he's recived from fans since he uncloseted himself. The large part of RL fans have the same attitude as soccer spectators with no qualms about hurling abuse and threats at other teams fans and players. His life will be a living hell on matchdays, especially away trips.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Mar 7 2010, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's a shame Dale has all that pent up anger and has to make those unfunny jokes or smart-arse comments, because he's actually got a couple of points there. League won't benefit in profile any more by Thomas' switch then Union did when Farrell changed to Union... All that will happen is the die hard braindeads (from both sides of the fence) will start throwing every insult they can at the other code to whoever will listen. Secondly, super league is pretty much an excuse for northern Englanders to continue the war of the roses, they generally shun outsiders for Lancashire or Yorkshire. Considering Crusaders are a former Union team anyway, they're hardly a popular bunch to begin with.

Thomas can also forget this "wonderful support" he's recived from fans since he uncloseted himself. The large part of RL fans have the same attitude as soccer spectators with no qualms about hurling abuse and threats at other teams fans and players. His life will be a living hell on matchdays, especially away trips.[/b]

I know, he going to have to go to Castleford