• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gareth Thomas Enjoys Switching Codes

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Mar 7 2010, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Mar 7 2010, 08:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a shame Dale has all that pent up anger and has to make those unfunny jokes or smart-arse comments, because he's actually got a couple of points there. League won't benefit in profile any more by Thomas' switch then Union did when Farrell changed to Union... All that will happen is the die hard braindeads (from both sides of the fence) will start throwing every insult they can at the other code to whoever will listen. Secondly, super league is pretty much an excuse for northern Englanders to continue the war of the roses, they generally shun outsiders for Lancashire or Yorkshire. Considering Crusaders are a former Union team anyway, they're hardly a popular bunch to begin with.

Thomas can also forget this "wonderful support" he's recived from fans since he uncloseted himself. The large part of RL fans have the same attitude as soccer spectators with no qualms about hurling abuse and threats at other teams fans and players. His life will be a living hell on matchdays, especially away trips.[/b]

I know, he going to have to go to Castleford
[/b][/quote]
and Hull....twice!

Dale if you don't like league why comment on it?

Gareth Thomas has been a fantastic player, but at 35 he's going to be past his best. I think he'll wind up playing second row personally.

Apparently Crusaders are trying to sign another player before the Catalans game

And that player is rumoured to be.....................ANDY POWELL

Is this Topic abut Rugby or Personal :p Sorry couldn't resist.

Seriously though he'll be more value in league as at this stage of his career he's better suited to it.

But he was a smashing player for Wales and had a great scoring record and well what he achieved in Toulouse was deserved.

To be fair to the guy, he's actually put in some very decent performances for the Blues this season (his cracking try vs Edinburgh comes to mind) so he's not completely out of form. I reckon he'll do alright at the Crusaders, he'd got the necessary basic skill set, and if he gets to grip with the learning curve of a new sport he'll probably do alright for them.
And I doubt he'll let any stupid comments from the crowds get to him, I;m sure he's used to it by now. Good luck to him anyway, great servant to Welsh rugby.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Mar 7 2010, 03:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 7 2010, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see him playing centre at league... and I doubt he'll make a very good one. Still, a good oppurtunity for League to boost its profile in Wales and for Gareth Thomas to add another chapter to a fantastic career. Wales & Lions Captain, Magners League, Top 14, Heineken Cup, and now Super League... He'll have experienced a hell of a lot come retirement.

And folks, growth of either code of rugby should be welcomed from all of us. Anything to take the attention off football, or the BBC-encouraged American variety.[/b]

Nope, RL growth involves going into rugby heartland, starting a team no one gives two shits about and promoting it as 'rugby'.
[/b][/quote]

Since when has Wrexham been 'Rugby Heartland'? All they've had up to now are a poor soccer team.

Hmm i was reading this article in the western mail this morning i think he was quoted as saying he would switch over in a year.His form has been very poor this season and has failed to make the impact he did when he burst onto the scene in the autumn internationals 2 years ago.I wont be losing any sleep over him leaving Wales.

I think he'd suit RL more, as a prop/13
He's good a breaking the line/running with the ball, but then he get's isolated and turned over/concedes a penalty, which he wouldn't have a problem with in League

He s been well figured out to be honest.Hes a one trick pony,head down and take contact is all he does so he makes it easy for the defenders,he never offloads before contact and his workrate is questionable at the breakdown.

at lest if does move hes already done something great, go on a lions tour how many people go on a lions tour and the next year say ok ime off to play another sport.

Latest posts