• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gasier to Union?

T

The TRUTH

FOX SPORTS.COM.AU
Rugby makes a move on Gasnier
By Brent Read and Stuart Honeysett
March 17, 2006

THE Australian Rugby Union last night confirmed Wallabies coach John Connolly had met Mark Gasnier, fuelling speculation the St George-Illawara centre was poised to receive a massive offer from the rival code.

The meeting sent shockwaves through the Dragons camp, with chief executive Peter Doust sounding out NRL boss David Gallop over ways to help keep the Test centre in rugby league.

ARU chief executive Gary Flowers last night confirmed that Connolly and ARU talent scout Michael O'Connor had already met Gasnier and his manager, George Mimis.

However, Flowers denied an offer had already been tabled amid reports Gasnier could receive an offer which could make him the highest-paid player in either code.

"There was a meeting at Gasnier's instigation," Flowers said last night.

"Both parties have gone away to think about it for a few weeks. There is no offer on the table."

Speculation of talks and a potential offer prompted Doust to seek out Gallop last week to find out whether the game's governing body could help fend off the ARU.

The NRL has helped its clubs retain elite players in the past, most notably in 2004 when it approved third-party agreements with the Nine Network and News Limited (publishers of The Australian) to help keep Newcastle captain and Test halfback Andrew Johns away from rugby union.

"I have talked to the NRL about the fact I was reasonably confident that the ARU were going to make a bid for him," Doust said.

"I wanted to hypothetically discuss with the NRL what their position might be. I certainly don't know anything about any signing."
Doust said he was moved to talk to the NRL after a meeting with Mimis.

"He (Mimis) hadn't heard from them up to that point last week but he believed they were going to come forward with something," Doust said.

"I talked to David in those circumstances. He talked about what the rules allow and won't allow."

Gallop confirmed he had met with Doust and said the NRL was more than happy to help the Dragons out, but only to a point.

The NRL boss reiterated the game's governing body wouldn't make exceptions to its rules to retain Gasnier.

"We had a conversation about if he (Gasnier) got an offer from rugby, what would we do?" Gallop said.

"They're similar avenues to what we explored with Andrew Johns and Braith Anasta or would explore with anyone else who would get an offer from rugby union.

"We want Mark Gasnier to play rugby league but it's not fair on the other clubs and the other players in the competition if we start making exceptions to the rules."

News of the ARU's targeting of Gasnier came a day after reports that the NRL's delay in setting next year's salary cap had left the clubs open to raids from English clubs and rugby union.

Gallop yesterday responded to that criticism, prompted by the start of talks between the NRL and players' union over the game's next Collective Bargaining Agreement.

"There is a clear timetable that the committee which includes four club representatives is working towards," Gallop said yesterday.

"Clubs will be heavily involved in any decision on a cap increase as their ability to afford it is a huge factor.

"We are all conscious of the need to try to get a result by June 30 and at a recent CEO's meeting all clubs were comfortable with that."

The latest developments on Gasnier came on a mixed day for the club.

Gasnier's centre partner, Matt Cooper, was ruled out of Sunday's game against Penrith with a hamstring injury, allowing Daryl Millard to make his first-grade debut.

Dragons utility Shaun Timmins will also miss the match after undergoing knee surgery on Wednesday.

However, Timmins - whose career has been littered with knee problems - has spoken of his relief at being cleared of serious injury.

Club doctor Martin Raftery yesterday confirmed the injury was not the same as that which had threatened Timmins' career.

The former international admitted last night he harboured concerns going into the operation.

"I wasn't too confident," Timmins said.

"It was good to come out and get some good news instead of bad."

Additional reporting by Bret Harris

[/b]

I dont care what team he plays for i just wanna see him playing Union,and eventually for the Wallabies.

Theres talk of him becoming the highest payed player in either code..... if he decides to play real Rugby there saying he could be paid close to $800,000 a season......... not bad work if you can get it.

e should go to union - i always love it when a league player jumps code to union. it gives league a taste of there own medicine
1980's anyone?

I'll be honost with yas if Gasnier continues this type of form throughout his career, he will go down 1 better than Mal Meninga as a centre

Hopefully he goes to Union........the Tahs, and Wallabies........i like the guy but i hate the dragons..........he has earned me a good $500.00 worth of 1st ty scorers

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Mar 16 2006, 05:28 PM
I've heard he may be coming to Saints to replace Lyon...
I've heard that he feels he let Wigan down a couple of years ago and would still like to join.

Originally posted by loratadine@Mar 17 2006, 06:10 AM
e should go to union - i always love it when a league player jumps code to union. it gives league a taste of there own medicine
1980's anyone?
No it doesn't you silly welshman! The reason Union lost so many players in the years before professionalism is purely the fault of its administrators for being pompus private school boys that took more than 100 years to realise that paying its players would be good for the game!

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc+Mar 17 2006, 09:46 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-St Helens RLFC
@Mar 16 2006, 05:28 PM
I've heard that he feels he let Wigan down a couple of years ago and would still like to join. [/b]
i heard he ran over a little girls cat last week and outta guilt he will play in her net ball team next year

he and cooper are the best centre combo in league..when i look at the aussie union team they do not really need midfielders do they?...mortlock,turinui,rodgers,tuquri and heaps of there yungins are all lifting there hands to fill that spot..they dont really need him at this point of time

they need genuine playmakers..barnes was a good snatch but i would love to see andrew johns walk the rugby pitch

800,000 gz?.. :) ..if its money ya want then unions the place

Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101@Mar 17 2006, 02:39 PM

he and cooper are the best centre combo in league..when i look at the aussie union team they do not really need midfielders do they?...mortlock,turinui,rodgers,tuquri and heaps of there yungins are all lifting there hands to fill that spot..they dont really need him at this point of time

Yeah but why wouldn't you want him...... give him a couple of years and he'll be the best centre in union aswell, he's well worth the $$$ if ya ask me.

I think they plan on making him an inside centre

give him a couple of years?...im still waiting on wendall sailor to become great..

and in a couple of years...u must not forget next years world cup where if i was the aussie coach id depend on the players that hold experience in that position and the talent they have been brewing there rather then a rookie centre...in the test scene

Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101@Mar 17 2006, 03:08 PM
give him a couple of years?...im still waiting on wendall sailor to become great..

Dell is a bit old but he's still a very good player.

Tuqiri and Rogers are two of the best players in the World ...... so i cant see Gasnier beeing any different.

I doubt they would consider him for the WC if he switched next year ........although....... the other 3 ex league players had only played a year before the 03 WC and they did alright

I'd rather Gasnier play for the Tah or Wallabies than terrorise my Raiders in the NRL

Go to union Gasnier.........i am sick of ur ability on the wrong team :wall:

Potentially could pip past Big Mal as best centre to ever play in league :(

Yes sir go to union..........NOW :ph34r:

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc+Mar 17 2006, 10:46 AM-->
I've heard that he feels he let Wigan down a couple of years ago and would still like to join. [/b]
Did you hear it from the source that said Justin Marshall would play in the WCC for Leeds when he had said that he wasn't leaving till after the Lions series.

And i'm still personally waiting on "the greatest union player of all time" Henry Paul

Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101+Mar 17 2006, 01:39 PM-->
Originally posted by wigan_rlfc@Mar 17 2006, 09:46 AM

I've heard that he feels he let Wigan down a couple of years ago and would still like to join.
i heard he ran over a little girls cat last week and outta guilt he will play in her net ball team next year

they need genuine playmakers..barnes was a good snatch but i would love to see andrew johns walk the rugby pitch

800,000 gz?.. :) ..if its money ya want then unions the place [/b]
No, i don't think he'll be a centre - he'll by fly-half! Come to the brumbies gaz, we need a replacement for larkham!

Originally posted by The TRUTH!!+Mar 17 2006, 02:32 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-THE CHIROPRACTOR101
@Mar 17 2006, 03:08 PM

Tuqiri and Rogers are two of the best players in the World ...... so i cant see Gasnier beeing any different.

I doubt they would consider him for the WC if he switched next year ........although....... the other 3 ex league players had only played a year before the 03 WC and they did alright [/b]
wendell stinks he'll probably retire after the RWC when he's 30 or 31, but I doubt conno will even give him a run. That was the worst move ARU ever made in buying dell... his worst part is defence and he was coming in just when they were working out how to tackle players of lomu's size so that was a hige disadvantage to him coming in that late - when he was 28 or something.

Originally posted by Jacko@Mar 17 2006, 05:36 PM
wendell stinks he'll probably retire after the RWC when he's 30 or 31, but I doubt conno will even give him a run. That was the worst move ARU ever made in buying dell...
Bullshit..... Dell is one of the most well known Rugby players in OZ, even if he hasn't produced as much on field as they expected, in terms of marketing its been a huge success.

He's been worth the money they payed for him just for the amount of intrest he's created in Australian Rugby.

Originally posted by Ripper@Mar 17 2006, 04:49 AM

And i'm still personally waiting on "the greatest union player of all time" Henry Paul
He's a bit busy playing in the Commonwealth Sevens!

Originally posted by Ripper+Mar 17 2006, 04:49 AM-->
Originally posted by wigan_rlfc@Mar 17 2006, 10:46 AM

Did you hear it from the source that said Justin Marshall would play in the WCC for Leeds when he had said that he wasn't leaving till after the Lions series.

And i'm still personally waiting on "the greatest union player of all time" Henry Paul [/b]
All I said was he was the best fly half England had at that particular time.

Originally posted by Jacko+Mar 17 2006, 05:36 PM-->
Originally posted by The TRUTH!!@Mar 17 2006, 02:32 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-THE CHIROPRACTOR101
@Mar 17 2006, 03:08 PM

I doubt they would consider him for the WC if he switched next year ........although....... the other 3 ex league players had only played a year before the 03 WC and they did alright
wendell stinks he'll probably retire after the RWC when he's 30 or 31, but I doubt conno will even give him a run. That was the worst move ARU ever made in buying dell... his worst part is defence and he was coming in just when they were working out how to tackle players of lomu's size so that was a hige disadvantage to him coming in that late - when he was 28 or something. [/b]
Getting Wendell was the best thing the ARU could have done. Don't you realise the amount of publicity and money he's brought to our code? He's also a handy player - picked up two tries tonight against the Force.

Latest posts