• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gatland to remain Wales head coach to 2019

Draggs

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Surprised nobody has mentioned this yet.
Thoughts? Hope he freshens up the staff a bit. McBryde and Howley namely.

Surprised nobody has mentioned this yet.
Thoughts? Hope he freshens up the staff a bit. McBryde and Howley namely.

Dreadful decision. Rugby could have changed a lot by then and we'll be stuck with him and his one dimensional tactics. He still has an abysmal record against the SH and appears stuck in progress on that regard, we were as far out this year against Australia and South Africa as previous years. By the time he's finished it will have been 11 years in charge, a whole decade of players would have known nothing other than Gatlandball, I hope he freshens some elements up as you say. Also this long contract brings back memories of Ireland's whopping 5 year deal for Eddie O'Sullivan pre-2007 World Cup. That worked out well.

He might be able to get one more win v Aus by the end, right?
I agree, I think he has taken us as far has he can. Certainly turned us around from where we were in 2007, but time for a change. Who would you like to see as head coach/back room?

I saw this earlier.

It's just dawned on me how long that contract lasts.
Wow.

Should change your management stature every 4 to 5 years regardless of success think this could be bad for Wales.

I wonder if he will adapt his plans at all. Wales could potentially become a very well known quantity if Gatland employs the same tactics. They still work against NH sides but once people learn how to nullify it, Wales could get stuck.

I wonder if he will adapt his plans at all. Wales could potentially become a very well known quantity if Gatland employs the same tactics. They still work against NH sides but once people learn how to nullify it, Wales could get stuck.

You mean they aren't a known quantity?

If any coach hadn't worked out what Gatlandball tactics they aren't fit for their job.

While the length of contract is strange, I'm surprised you would be wanting a change. I think he has done a good job all in all and they will start beating the SH big dogs at some point.

While the length of contract is strange, I'm surprised you would be wanting a change. I think he has done a good job all in all and they will start beating the SH big dogs at some point.

Based on what?

Well they haven't made any progress towards that goal in the past three years. There's nothing to indicate they're going to make that sort of breakthrough under Gatland.

After all his success with Wales you can understand why the WRU are keen to keep him. If it ain't broke etc etc.

There could be problems down the line. It doesn't take much for the mood in camp to change. A bad run of results might make the fans and players lose faith in Gatland. When that happens you know its time for change. With more players being in France these days its going to get harder for Gatland.

But it all comes down to money. The WRU are not short a few bob I hear so they can always just pay him off!

After all his success with Wales you can understand why the WRU are keen to keep him. If it ain't broke etc etc.

There could be problems down the line. It doesn't take much for the mood in camp to change. A bad run of results might make the fans and players lose faith in Gatland. When that happens you know its time for change. With more players being in France these days its going to get harder for Gatland.

But it all comes down to money. The WRU are not short a few bob I hear so they can always just pay him off!

Nearly all would agree Gatland has certainly earned a contract to at least 2015 as establishing Wales as the best in Europe is no mean feat. But 2019 is too long to say whether he will be the right man then.

what Wales actually want to keep Gatland for a long period of time ? nooooooooooooooooo...

Well they haven't made any progress towards that goal in the past three years. There's nothing to indicate they're going to make that sort of breakthrough under Gatland.

Indeed not.

I don't suppose anyone has a list of Wales games with and without Adam Jones? I can't help but feel he's been making a monumental difference and his departure/decline is surely getting incipient...

Wonder who would be the best option if we needed to replace him. White is with the Sharks for three years, while Eddie might not be up to the task these days. Robbie Deans??? Could consider bringing in Gold as a forwards coach, can't be worse than McBryde (could also help to freshen things up).

Obviously there hasn't been any progress in the 'he didn't pick BOD! He's the devil' mentality either.

If you can't see there's been progress then... well I really don't know what to say without being Irished :p

Wonder who would be the best option if we needed to replace him. White is with the Sharks for three years, while Eddie might not be up to the task these days. Robbie Deans??? Could consider bringing in Gold as a forwards coach, can't be worse than McBryde (could also help to freshen things up).

Oh god yes, we need some kind of forward coach who can coach lineout. McBryde was great in the loose, but couldn't hit a cows ass with a banjo in the lineout.

Obviously there hasn't been any progress in the 'he didn't pick BOD! He's the devil' mentality either.

If you can't see there's been progress then... well I really don't know what to say without being Irished :p

Nothing to do with that tbh, wasn't even in my thought process. Look, how many games in a row is it now? The SH teams seems very able to deal with Wales' current game plan. Gatland, on the basis of recent selections, doesn't appear to want to alter this game plan. Therefore it seems unlikely that Wales are going to start winning regularly against South Hemisphere opposition, which seriously damages any hopes Wales are harboring of challenging for the next world cup.

Most Irish people can speak with some experience on the subject too. Giving a big contract to a coach in an ever evolving game is a highly risky move.

Latest posts