• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

gavin henson

C

Caledfwlch

i've been catching the ospreys games of late. and i've noticed that although gavin henson has undeniable talent, he seems to be a very laid back player right now. missing easy conversions and penalties. i feel that he is resting on his laurels. whats ur take on this, guys

Spending all his time Rucking and Mauling this:
charlotte-church-02-thumb.jpg

I'd be tired too!

Its a massive debate at the moment where is he best at?

For myself he is best at fullback and when he has played there for the Ospreys he has brought a different game to them. He is a good runner, tackler etc and he is best suited to full back. However others will disagree with me! Some say he is better at 10 or even at 12. But at 10 he seems to laid back, at 12 he sometimes look's out of place.

Any other views on it guys?

at 10 i think he lacks that sense of urgency, he's just strolling around.

I have never liked Gavin Henson at Fly Half.
Either 12 or full back are his positions, but he has to be given the chance to gain some consistency at any of these positions.
He's been msessed around in regards to positions for a while and its reflecting in the way he plays.
He's playing at 10 right now and i think it's showing that he doesn't have the brain for the position. He struggles with the game, thinks over things too much and in the time he's trying to make decisions he'll simply drift across the field reducing space for his players and usually kicks aimlessly or passes to a static player, leaving the aim of making the gain line a very difficult prospect.
When he does gets his spouts of genius, when he does create absolute awesome moves it's usually in the role of an inside centre.
Why play him at 10 for Ospreys when he can't settle there and then if he does get picked for wales will either go 12 or 15?

He needs to stop pissin about with aimless little chips, and has to be more direct when running. I think he trying too hard cos he feels he has to prove himself. This could be due to him being seen as a celeb as opposed to a rugby player.

He needs to stop pissin about with aimless little chips, and has to be more direct when running. I think he trying too hard cos he feels he has to prove himself. This could be due to him being seen as a celeb as opposed to a rugby player.
[/b]

It's pretty easy to slip into that superstar comfort zone...you see it time and time again with the big name footy players.

You can't keep a good dog down though...form is temporary, class lasts

but what i meant was that he doesnt like being seen as just a celeb, and is now doubling his efforts to be seen as great rugby player instead

but what i meant was that he doesnt like being seen as just a celeb, and is now doubling his efforts to be seen as great rugby player instead
[/b]

I agree. At the beginning he wanted nothing more than to have the fame that comes with being a celebrated Welsh rugby player. But he's seen there's a backlash to it (especially when your season goes awry) and he's really knuckling down on becoming that rugby player he's been hyped up to be, and trying to stay out of the lime light as often as possible.
Very rarely do i see him in the papers any more.

...well except for his driving ban he recieved today. :lol:
Serves you right for driving so fast, you bloody idiot.

I know, can you believe that's the excuse they gave as to why the judge couldn't give anything BUT a minimum sentence!
"But i get banned from driving for too long, then it'll affect my charitable work with children."

Whatever!
:lol:

i think gareth thomas is the netter or best fullback...

WHY THE HELL DID THEY ALLOW HENSON TO PLAY 12 FOR THE AUTUMN INTLS?!?!!?

Need i remind that Gareth Thomas wwas a very good center, thats where he shuld play and Henson at fullback

have never seen the guy playing anythig but 12 for the lions and wales. is he fast enough to be a fullback?

Henson's got the speed, size, strength and kicking ability to a great full back.
Lyn Jones (Ospreys coach) believes that Henson's strongest position is at Full Back. Why he doesn't play him there on a regular basis, you ask? Coz Ospreys have no No.10 so Gav has to cover.
And if you've seen Gav at fly half...he plays exactly the same game as he would at inside centre.
He can't think like a fly half...it's not his position.

But in essence he's got quite a bit of experience at full back at club level, and a small amount at international level.

he sounds pretty good, might try to watch a few of his club games. did he get to play against australia?

No, because he is starting at 12 on Saturday. It would be a big risk if he played in last night game.

Latest posts