• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

George Gregan Discussion

Originally posted by The TRUTH+Jul 31 2006, 11:56 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-SaintsFan_Webby
@Jul 31 2006, 06:32 PM
And everyone missed my point completely.

Have a think about it...
Who cares

YES or NO? [/b]
How stupid of me to try and defend my point.

I agree with Big-Ten, with the exception of Lomu, I think players should have retired from the game before being inducted into the HOF.

That's a NO at the moment just in case you didn't pick up on it.

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby+Jul 31 2006, 07:57 PM-->
Originally posted by The TRUTH@Jul 31 2006, 11:56 AM

Have a think about it...

Who cares

YES or NO?

I agree with Big-Ten, with the exception of Lomu, I think players should have retired from the game before being inducted into the HOF.

That's a NO at the moment just in case you didn't pick up on it. [/b]
Chiro thinks that Gregan is the best halfback ever and i'm sure that alot of people feel the same..... it's his opinion and he's more than entitled to it. Why start this pointless Gregan v Edwards debate again? the game has evolved so much in the time since edwards has retired that it's impossible to compare eras.

You vote NO :lol: surprise surprise :rolleyes:

So why are Lomu and Mehrtens the exceptions??? is it because they're not Australian?..... or is it because Gregan is older than both of them but still playing world class rugby? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by The TRUTH+Jul 31 2006, 02:00 PM-->
Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Jul 31 2006, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by The TRUTH@Jul 31 2006, 11:56 AM

Have a think about it...

Who cares

YES or NO?

That's a NO at the moment just in case you didn't pick up on it.
Chiro thinks that Gregan is the best halfback ever and i'm sure that alot of people feel the same..... it's his opinion and he's more than entitled to it. Why start this pointless Gregan v Edwards debate again? the game has evolved so much in the time since edwards has retired that it's impossible to compare eras.

You vote NO :lol: surprise surprise :rolleyes:

So why are Lomu and Mehrtens the exceptions??? is it because they're not Australian?..... or is it because Gregan is older than both of them but still playing world class rugby? :rolleyes: [/b]
1. I didn't start the Edwards-Gregan debate, I merely contributed to it.

2. I don't think Merhtens should be in, but Lomu is an exception because of his circumstances. He was the most devastasting runner the game has ever seen.

Am I not allowed to hold the opinion that Gregan is not the best half back to have played the game and shouldn't go in yet?

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Jul 31 2006, 09:03 PM
Am I not allowed to hold the opinion that Gregan is not the best half back to have played the game
No thats your opinion and your entitled to it.

But your reason for Gregan not being inducted is as weak as ****.

Originally posted by The TRUTH+Jul 31 2006, 02:09 PM-->
But your reason for Gregan not being inducted is as weak as ****. [/b]

I agreed with this point of view:

<!--QuoteBegin-Big-Ten

Even though George Gregan obviously deserves to be nominated for the Hall of Fame I think that we should wait until he retires from playing rugby before we do.

It is unlikely but GG could do something to disgrace himself on the rugby pitch that would make induction look silly - i.e. he could headbutt someones chest, fail a drug test for caffeine, or actually run with the ball.

It is my belief that players should not be inducted until after they have retired from international rugby.

What's wrong with it then?

to be honest i think gareth edwards is extremely overrated

he played in a time when guys didnt use anything to boost their performance.. i.e. weights, protein, other enhancers (hormone etc..)

and most of the guys were a lot smaller, slower, than they are now.. back then the best off season training was beer and lots of it.. not the same nowadays

i really doubt he was that good, sure he had the try, but still i'd love to see what he could do today

Originally posted by DC13@Jul 31 2006, 03:08 PM
to be honest i think gareth edwards is extremely overrated

he played in a time when guys didnt use anything to boost their performance.. i.e. weights, protein, other enhancers (hormone etc..)

and most of the guys were a lot smaller, slower, than they are now.. back then the best off season training was beer and lots of it.. not the same nowadays

i really doubt he was that good, sure he had the try, but still i'd love to see what he could do today
Have you actually watched any rugby from the period when he played?

To say guys were smaller and slower is totally wrong for starters. As for using stimulants, surely if he could put in the level of performance he did without needing to enhance his body then that shows just what a good player he was?

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby+Jul 31 2006, 10:07 PM-->
Originally posted by The TRUTH@Jul 31 2006, 02:09 PM
But your reason for Gregan not being inducted is as weak as ****.

I agreed with this point of view:

<!--QuoteBegin-Big-Ten
Even though George Gregan obviously deserves to be nominated for the Hall of Fame I think that we should wait until he retires from playing rugby before we do.

It is unlikely but GG could do something to disgrace himself on the rugby pitch that would make induction look silly - i.e. he could headbutt someones chest, fail a drug test for caffeine, or actually run with the ball.

It is my belief that players should not be inducted until after they have retired from international rugby.

What's wrong with it then? [/b]
Gregan has one of the best disciplinary records in the game and it would be almost impossible for him to do anything to overshadow his fantastic career.

Theres more chance of Lomu doing something stupid than Gregan, so if you want to stand by that rule then maybe Lomu should be taken out of the TRF H.O.F until his career is over........ although i don't think our fellow members would be to happy with that ;) .

this welsh front row from edwards time sure do look fit :rolleyes:

PRICE_Graha_1975_GH_L.jpg

im not sayin edwards wasnt good

i just have my doubts to wether he was the greatest ever or not..

That would be the front row regarded as one of the greatest ever would it?

You seem to think that because they weren't professional players, these guys didn't keep themselves fit or know how to train.

not only that but

today guys run 4.4 40 meters, back then i have my high doubts that guys would run that fast

age progresses, techniques get better, rugby players get better
its a fact.

But you also have to consider the conditions which the players used to play in, the rugby fields that the likes of Edwards played on were plowed fields, sometimes not level, you look at the pitches nowadays and they are perfectly laid pitches... Also we forget that these players were playing games which were far more demanding on the body, with less regulations and such as there are now, so they had to be able to take more... also the players didnt have the technology of isotonic drinks at half time, they would be lucky enough to have half an orange at half time...

Its like comparing footballers, the likes of Pele and Maradona, didnt play on perfect surfaces and have the technology which are in the balls and boots of the players, like ronaldinho... I would personally rate the likes of George Best, Emelyn Hughes above certain players, we have to admit that times are changing and that work rate patterns and technology that is used in both games... also the pressures are on the players to be bigger and stronger, but then they have more regulations that they have to obey to...

My Personal Opinion is that George Gregan does deserve to be in the Hall Of Fame, but I think it should be left until he retires, which will be after the 2007 Rugby World Cup, I would of guessed, he has done enough to enter it tho, but he could achieve something better or shame himself, although I think that is highly unlikely as he is a true professional

End of the line for Gregan?

gregan_burst.jpg

George Gregan's international future is in the balance after Australia coach John Connolly reportedly asked the scrum-half to consider sitting out Australia's end of season tour to Europe in November.

The 33-year-old Gregan is the most capped player in international rugby history but Connolly is keen to introduce fresh blood ahead of the 2007 World Cup in France.

Wallabies spokesperson Michael Earsman said Connolly had asked the veteran number nine to think about standing aside for the tour.

Earsman told ABC Sport: "He had one conversation with George regarding that, to gauge his thoughts on resting. It is at a very preliminary stage."

Earsman added Gregan had been asked to "go away and provide some feedback".

Gregan was part of the Wallabies side that lifted the Webb Ellis Trophy in 1999 and equalled John Eales' 55-match record for the most number of games as captain of Australia in the Tri-Nations defeat by New Zealand last Saturday.[/b]

The real story...

Gregan to consider missing European tour

Australian rugby union coach John Connolly says captain George Gregan may sit out the Wallabies' tour of Europe in November so as to freshen up for next year's World Cup.

Gregan has started all but one of the Wallabies' Tests so far this year, despite speculation at the beginning of the season his place in the starting line-up was under threat.

The only Test he has missed was against England in Melbourne in June, when Sam Cordingley started in the number nine jersey as part of Connolly's rotational policy prior to the Tri-Nations.

Gregan made the suggestion of missing the European tour to Connolly, as a way of giving the 33-year-old an opportunity to rest ahead of the 2007 World Cup to be hosted by France.

Connolly said the decision would be left to Gregan.

"He has spoken to me about whether he didn't tour at the end of the year to freshen himself up for the World Cup next year," he said.

"We've had one discussion and somehow it's got out, but it'll be George's call."

Gregan has previously missed a Wallabies tour of Europe when injury forced him out of the 2000 edition.

[/b]

Nice try though

Originally posted by The TRUTH@Jul 31 2006, 09:05 PM
The real story...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Gregan to consider missing European tour

Australian rugby union coach John Connolly says captain George Gregan may sit out the Wallabies' tour of Europe in November so as to freshen up for next year's World Cup.

Gregan has started all but one of the Wallabies' Tests so far this year, despite speculation at the beginning of the season his place in the starting line-up was under threat.

The only Test he has missed was against England in Melbourne in June, when Sam Cordingley started in the number nine jersey as part of Connolly's rotational policy prior to the Tri-Nations.

Gregan made the suggestion of missing the European tour to Connolly, as a way of giving the 33-year-old an opportunity to rest ahead of the 2007 World Cup to be hosted by France.

"He has spoken to me about whether he didn't tour at the end of the year to freshen himself up for the World Cup next year," he said.

"We've had one discussion and somehow it's got out, but it'll be George's call."

Gregan has previously missed a Wallabies tour of Europe when injury forced him out of the 2000 edition.

Nice try though [/b][/quote]
http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=40...line+for+Gregan?

What exactly does "nice try" mean, eh?

Originally posted by Teh Mite+Aug 1 2006, 04:21 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-The TRUTH
@Jul 31 2006, 09:05 PM
The real story...

<div class='quotemain'>Gregan to consider missing European tour

Nice try though [/b][/quote]

What exactly does "nice try" mean, eh? [/b][/quote]
Nice try by the media to put a spin on the truth.

Yep.................. plus sky sports???

I'm pretty sure that truth's news came from the aru site (or something of similar status). I don't trust anything such as above until a statement has been officially released byt the organistation in question on their website or something of of similar nature.

But hey, you never know!

Originally posted by The TRUTH+Aug 1 2006, 08:32 AM-->
Originally posted by Teh Mite@Aug 1 2006, 04:21 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-The TRUTH
@Jul 31 2006, 09:05 PM
The real story...

<div class='quotemain'>Gregan to consider missing European tour

Nice try though

What exactly does "nice try" mean, eh? [/b][/quote]
Nice try by the media to put a spin on the truth. [/b][/quote]
Teh_Mite pwnt joo!!

Latest posts