• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Georgian Rugby

I support Italy but this is getting a little farcical. A closed shop has no place in a sport with ambition to grow internationally. I am happy to see this issue continue to get some coverage.

T1 executives and some fans on forums are constantly saying it's not their job to grow t2. When they hold all the power and finances in world rugby though as well as the scheduling is that really a true statement? Does t1 not hold some responsibility to not always think about the short term bottom line? For example actively blockading t2 test matches in the June and November windows as well as the RC and 6N. This mentality is exactly why the sport stayed amateur as long as it did and hasn't grown as much it could have since going pro.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information and thoughts gents.
In my opinion, there should be one place added to the six nations so this goes to the winner of the REC (most likely Georgia) and then there should be a relegation match between the team that finishes top of the six nations and the team that finishes top of the REC.

7 just isn't a very good number to build a format for.

It will morph into 8 teams in some format, with automatic relegation. Not necessarily all 8 from Europe - I can see Japan joining and making it a NH TRC. (Japan is right on the border of the REC)

How about Georgia, Japan, USA, Canada and a couple others form a tournament of their own? Higher quality opposition each week for each side. The only thing that would be an issue is the cost for a side like Georgia (actually saying that I just remembered they're backed by a billionaire)

How about Georgia, Japan, USA, Canada and a couple others form a tournament of their own? Higher quality opposition each week for each side. The only thing that would be an issue is the cost for a side like Georgia (actually saying that I just remembered they're backed by a billionaire)

That is basically the status quo. Georgia has toured the pacific islands, at least 2 years out of 4 there is an expanded Pacific Nations Cup in a 6N format including Fiji/Japan/Tonga/Samoa/USA/Canada, and every international window these days has games between Georgia and Japan/Fiji. (The other years Japan has to settle for Hong Kong and Korea as competition, comparable rankings-point-differential wise to if England only had Georgia and Russia, or if South Africa only had Namibia and Kenya outside of the AI's and June tours)

Last edited:
Could be something like:

Pacific Cup: Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Japan
Atlantic Cup: Canada, USA, Georgia, Romania

after final standing, match between each correspondent place.

very straining logistically and impossible to sustain in the long run.

I almost very much for Georgia joining the six nations so I would be happy to see Wales pushed all the way in this one. Big big game for the Georgians to show what they've got

Does anyone know why Mamuka Gorgodze isn't in the Georgian squad for the REC? I thought he was the star man

They don't need him to beat Belgium, Germany and Spain. Georgia will only call their best men to play against Russia and Romania.

They played without most of the first choice players. Props Nariashvili & Kubriashvili (both Montpellier), Chilachava (Toulon), Asieshvili (Brive), Kakovin (Toulouse), Peikrishvili (Cardiff Blues); hookers Bregvadze (Worcester) & Mamukashvili (Montpellier), lock Mikautadze (Montpellier), backrowers Kolelishvili (Clermont), Gorgodze (Toulon) & Sutiashvili (ProD2); scrumhalf Lobzhanidze (Brive), centre Kacharava (Enisei-STM) and winger Mchedlidze (Agen) are all missing. Georgia played with a lot of youths, playing the first two games with 17 players born from 1993 to 1998 and captained by Sharikadze who is set to be the second younger player to reach 50 caps (already 49 caps at 23) behind George North.

Here are highlights from the last game, against Germany. 4 of the 8 tries were scored by #13 Koshadze and #8 Gorgadze, both played U20 World Championship few months ago

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought I'd start a fresh debate about Georgian rugby. Where does everyone see Georgian rugby in 5 years time and then 5 years after that?
Personally I think they will be in the top 10 within 10 years and in the six nations in some form. Of course the World Cup is in 2027 (10 years time) so hopefully we can see them progressing beyond their group and getting into the knockout stages.
Thought people?

Hopefully they'll have a professional club team in an expanded Pro 12 or in place of one of the Italian sides. Their national team should be guaranteed 3 home and 3 away games during June and November against tier 1 opposition to get them to a level whereby they can compete strongly in the 6/7 Nations. They'll remain in the Rugby Europe Championship until they demonstrate they can beat teams already taking part in the 6 Nations. Once they do that, a solution will need to be found to make it economically viable for them to be bumped up to the top tier.

Have a buddy working as S&C for their national team. Was talking to him yesterday and they're mad for tougher competition they're strolling through the Nations Cup again. He actually said too their Top 10 league is a good standard too

Latest posts