• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

GET IN THERE!!!

I dunno what the pubs you drink in are like Tarbh, but in England things are a bit differtent than Dublin; There is plenty of work and we don't have Kosovans who can't speak English in every bar.

And BM, don't talk to me about a moral high ground mate, there is nothing immoral aboiut enjoying a cigarette. It's my free choice, it's legal & because of my "disgusting habit" I put a lot of money into the economy through taxes. I work f***ing hard every day of the week, I HAVE A f***ING RIGHT TO HAVE A PINT AND A SMOKE AFTER WORK. The onbly reasons this law is being passed is because Labour are falling in the polls and want a "Oh look how wonderful we are" bit of publicity so they can improve in the polls before the next election. It's nothing at all to do with any health risks at all.

If you believe they genuinely care about you and your health, consider why they have not spent any of the NHS tax money effectively, which smokers stump up the majority of any they themselves only use a small percentage (normally for things non smoking related), conciquently turning the NHS into the worlds laughing stock.

Thanks to the hard work and dedication of countless organisations, politicians, health advocates and the support of the hospitality trade, the days of smoke-clogged rooms and stinging eyes are almost over.

[/quote]

This Government did the same with the Fox Hunting Laws, to say well look we achieved that goal, only by using a back door ruling which shouldnt even exist, and in theory passing laws illegally... Have there been more police to police it NO!!! has other Crime been affected by it... YES!!! as Violent Crime has risen, recently our neighbours got their house broken into and it took 4 DAYS for a policeman to come and look and then they said oh sorry its too late, as you have moved things so we cant do anything about it... but in those 4 days they spent a day watching a group of protesters at the local Hunt...

Thank god, for you An tarbh. The smoky crowd can't dismiss the view of someone above 18.
[/b]

Um...I would just like to point out that I don't smoke. However that doesn't stop me defending the rights of people who do.

You're pulling out several health issues:

- Firstly, yes smoking isn't good for you. Neither is drinking alcohol though, but you seem to have no objection to going and doing that.

- Secondly, you would defend this position by saying that drinking doesn't effect people other than you. Very
true. No doubt you have or will be considering driving a car at some point in the near future though. The amount of **** they give out also effects other people. Are you going to go totally green and back up you're point by refusing to drive at any time?

- Thirdly, you talk about having the smell on your clothes. Clearly you don't go in many pub, bars or clubs if smoke is your major concern there. I'm usually more worried about the pillock ready to spill his drink all over my sleeve/jacket/feet. The smell of smoke at the end of a night is no worse than the smell of stale beer. The only way to alleviate the problem is to ban both, surely?

I will have to pay your f***ing cancer bill when you lose a lung.[/b]

Thats a load of crap.... Yeah it has been proven smoking increases your chances of getting cancer... but I have recently lost a family friend who lived their life religously, never smoked, never drank, ate all the right foods, no history of cancer in the family and they got diagnosed with Lung Cancer... so what was the cause of that eh... I dont think you can use smoking as an excuse for every single case of cancer which is what you are doing.... You are very small minded and being very discriminating...

Firstly, yes smoking isn't good for you. Neither is drinking alcohol though, but you seem to have no objection to going and doing that.[/b]

Drinking alcohol isn't bad for you if drank with some regard for how much you drink?

Secondly, you would defend this position by saying that drinking doesn't effect people other than you. Very
true. No doubt you have or will be considering driving a car at some point in the near future though. The amount of **** they give out also effects other people. Are you going to go totally green and back up you're point by refusing to drive at any time?[/b]

I don't proclaim to be a saint, but I give up on being green, there is absolutely no point. China uses the worlds energy just to power it's own country. Industry revolves around travel, it doesn't revolve around sticking a cancer stick in your mouth.

Thirdly, you talk about having the smell on your clothes. Clearly you don't go in many pub, bars or clubs if smoke is your major concern there. I'm usually more worried about the pillock ready to spill his drink all over my sleeve/jacket/feet. The smell of smoke at the end of a night is no worse than the smell of stale beer. The only way to alleviate the problem is to ban both, surely?[/b]

Yes, but washing the beer out is easy. Getting the Carbon Monoxide out of your lungs and body isn't.

Also on your point Charlie, Your friend has been unlucky, but why have more cases like that through pointless actions.

BM

Thats a load of crap.... Yeah it has been proven smoking increases your chances of getting cancer... but I have recently lost a family friend who lived their life religously, never smoked, never drank, ate all the right foods, no history of cancer in the family and they got diagnosed with Lung Cancer... so what was the cause of that eh... I dont think you can use smoking as an excuse for every single case of cancer which is what you are doing.... You are very small minded and being very discriminating...
[/b]

I'm sorry about your friend but that doesn't take away from the fact that 20% of all deaths in the UK are caused by a smoking related disease, with 25% of that number being cancer related. Now I know there's drawbacks for smallers pubs in this ban but those figures justify it for me.

You will actually do more harm to your health drinking than smoking... you are making that personal choice like a smoker makes a personal choice and basically discriminating against a smoker, telling they have made the wrong personal choice... Because if you do that makes you a person who will discriminate against someone, very much like a racist... We Live in what is made out to be a "Free" Country, but it is far from it... we are not allowed to do a sport which has been done for hundreds of years, we are soon not allowed to smoke in a public area which has been done for hundred of years... soon we wont have a monachy... we are being constantly told what to eat, whats good for us and whats bad for us... its ridiculous... We are heading into the state where we might as well of been a dictatorship, as the propaganda we hear day in day out on the news, about Iraq and the War on Terror... do you believe everything you read in the media???

So BM would you be willing to pay an increase in taxes to cover the cost of what will be lost in revenue from the taxes on Tobacco

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

I'm sorry about your friend but that doesn't take away from the fact that 20% of all deaths in the UK are caused by a smoking related disease, with 25% of that number being cancer related. Now I know there's drawbacks for smallers pubs in this ban but those figures justify it for me. [/b][/quote]

But these are facts that we are hearing from a media, who only tell us what they want to hear... and also this is why I feel my idea of a Smoking Room within a pub would be the best idea... if you read my reaction Post earlier the Government have set this date, without considering the effects that it is going to have on pubs and setting out the guidelines to what is accepted, they are also going to cause problems with noise especially in small villages if you have 10 blokes outside having a drink and a smoke the noise level is going to increase... and with later opening hours this is more likely to create a problems for the police with the whole cafe culture thing... and when they are told they are not allowed outside after a certain time for a cigarette some will turn violent...

So 20% of deaths are smoking related? That's 1 out of every 5 people. High percentage considering 1 in 5 people don't smoke.

Damn those cigarettes are killers...

A lot of valid points there, the Fox Hunting ban is moronic, that purely was a vote getter.

Alcohol related deaths are no doubt a problem but nowhere near the levels of smoking related deaths.

With drinking you're making a choice that only damages you, whereas smoking does damage others, fact, so it is an entirely different choice.

What is worrying though is the degree to which freedoms are being eroded in Britain under this Labour govt and no doubt that trend won't change under the Conservatives but banning smoking isn't the most worrying aspect of this.

The loss in tax revenue will be offset by the savings made through a reduction in smoking related illnesses.

The loss in tax revenue will be offset by the savings made through a reduction in smoking related illnesses. [/b]

But surely the damage would of already been done!!! so while you will have the loss in revenue the actual medical care required will continue to grow, so outweighing any savings being made...

yeah but you also have more people still alive, continuing to pay other taxes.

A lot of valid points there, the Fox Hunting ban is moronic, that purely was a vote getter.

Alcohol related deaths are no doubt a problem but nowhere near the levels of smoking related deaths.

With drinking you're making a choice that only damages you, whereas smoking does damage others, fact, so it is an entirely different choice.[/b]

Oh really.

So Bob goes and drinks in the pub. He's a normal guy, has a wife and 2 kids. He has 3 pints of beer and drives home from the pub. Unfortunately because of his delayed reaction times he knocks down an old lady/5 year old kid/wickle puppy. It's dead. His drinking only affected him.

Then there's Gary. He and his mates like to watch football. Every Saturday he and 30 mates meet up with some other lads who like football and end up having a scrap. After this they watch the game and have a few drinks. A few lads drink too much and go on a bit of a rampage. Unfortunately a couple go too far and beat up somone whos walking past them in the street later that night because they thought he was looking at them. He never walked again. Alcohol only affeted them.

Or then there's mary. Her liver packed up. Her kids mother died when they were only 6. Alcohol only affected her.

f*** off and take your double standards with you. If you want one thing banned, call for the rest of them. If not, keep your mouth shut.

<div class='quotemain'> A lot of valid points there, the Fox Hunting ban is moronic, that purely was a vote getter.

With drinking you're making a choice that only damages you, whereas smoking does damage others, fact, so it is an entirely different choice.[/b]

Oh really.

So Bob goes and drinks in the pub. He's a normal guy, has a wife and 2 kids. He has 3 pints of beer and drives home from the pub. Unfortunately because of his delayed reaction times he knocks down an old lady/5 year old kid/wickle puppy. It's dead. His drinking only affected him.

Then there's Gary. He and his mates like to watch football. Every Saturday he and 30 mates meet up with some other lads who like football and end up having a scrap. After this they watch the game and have a few drinks. A few lads drink too much and go on a bit of a rampage. Unfortunately a couple go too far and beat up somone whos walking past them in the street later that night because they thought he was looking at them. He never walked again. Alcohol only affeted them.

Or then there's mary. Her liver packed up. Her kids mother died when they were only 6. Alcohol only affected her.

f*** off and take your double standards with you. If you want one thing banned, call for the rest of them. If not, keep your mouth shut.
[/b][/quote]

drinking and driving is an entirely different issue you ********, when you drink to excess you phsyically damage your liver, driving afterwards is just moronic and not done because they have alcohol system, it's done cause they're idiots, when you smoke it is passively inhaled by those around you. You're being seriously thick if you think that by calling for a smoking ban that I should also call for a ban on drinking just to not show double standards. They are completely different issues.

Drinking 3 pints doesn't force Bob to get into his car and drive, being retarded does that.

As for Gary that's just a story about thuggery, but of course you can believe that those lovely people only became scumbags because they had a few drinks.

And that Mary story makes no sense at all.

The point is, you're all giving it the big "smoking is evil and should be banned" arguement but then condoning drinking as harmless. Those are OTT, exagerated examples of what booze does, which is exactly what you lot do when you say "smoking WILL give you cancer", blah, blah, blah.

Why is it necessarily smoking that causes an overweight drinker to get heart desease? Because it's easy to blame. Or maybe when a smoker gets prostate cancer, people instantly assume it's smoking that causes. Because a lot op people smoke through their ass.

A bit of education about the real risks oif smoking are required rather than the same media sensationalism and scare tatics that also have got the entire world thinking that any form of unprotected sex will gatantee you get aids (when the real risk is only around 1 in 2000 chance even if the other person is a carrier).

Oh and if your going to start calling me names because you don't have a decent arguement, stay out the f***ing thread.

Surely it should be up to the landlord to decide this. The atmosphere of some pubs would be ruined and I think my local would struggle if smoking was banned. The smokers seem to be the heaviest drinkers. I personally cannot see this ban being enforced and the government would have to rely on interfeering do-gooder ***** to help them police this ban.

Surely it should be up to the landlord to decide this. The atmosphere of some pubs would be ruined and I think my local would struggle if smoking was banned. The smokers seem to be the heaviest drinkers. I personally cannot see this ban being enforced and the government would have to rely on interfeering do-gooder ***** to help them police this ban.
[/b]

well the same thing was being said here, that people would flout the ban left, right and centre but it just didn't happen and it'll more likely be the same in the UK

Personally, i would much rather be in a room full of people who are drinking alcohol rather than in a room full of people smoking.
It's uncomfortable and it's not good to keep inhaling all that smoke.
I see smoking (from a 2nd hand perspective) as a far more prevalent threat than i do from drinking (from a 1st hand perspective).

I hate our bloody government it is ruining the countryside this law will wreck most of the pubs around where i live.

btw getofmeland if you should happen to read this, where do you live? because i live pretty close to yeovil myself

I hate our bloody government it is ruining the countryside this law will wreck most of the pubs around where i live.

btw getofmeland if you should happen to read this, where do you live? because i live pretty close to yeovil myself [/b]

I live in a village near Sherborne actually... where do u live??

, I HAVE A f***ING RIGHT TO HAVE A PINT AND A SMOKE AFTER WORK. [/b]

On the flip side though Teh Mite, I have a right to go to the pub and not have someone giving me cancer from second hand smoke.

Latest posts