• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

GET IN THERE!!!

Sit in a non smoking area then, they all have them.

In fact, the pub I used until recently turned half of itself into a non smoking area. It was litterally empty for that whole section during the Man Utd v Liverpool game.... Half a pub which is always busy during a football match. Empty.

Tell me how that doesn't have an adverse effect on the business side of things?

Nobody's denying it doesn't have an adverse affect on business but that's not the point of the ban.

But a "No Smoking Area" is generally useless because smoke hangs in the air and drifts. There aren't any airtight areas, that I'm aware of.

You'll find a lot of pubs have no smoking rooms instead of areas and are well ventilated.

Nobody's denying it doesn't have an adverse affect on business but that's not the point of the ban. [/b]

We all already know the point, to get the f***ing jock more votes in the next election.

A pub should have a good ventalation system, therefore the smoke doesnt hang... I went out last night and I was actually suprised as I came back and my clothes were still fresh smelling, that was in a wetherspoons and a bar full of people smoking, but both had good ventalation...

The ventilation argument was being used here when we were having our debate but they countered it by saying that ventilation merely reduces the smell but doesn't remove the carcinogenic elements of the smoke.

In that case, standing outside near the door won't make any difference either,so if it were really for health reasons there'd be a total ban. Of course, when the Tax income off the sale of cigarettes is worth £4billion, that'll NEVER happen.

So, yet more proof that the law has come in purely as a vote grabber with an election coming up soon.

it will actually, the carcinogenic elements of the smoke are lingering in an enclosed space, that's not the case outdoors.

Surely that would still occour in a tent or marquee which are supposedly fine to keep.

I smoke and have seen evidence of the new smoking laws in australia

the good ole local pub - gone!

finito.........banished.......nobody showed up, coz they couldnt smoke and drink...........

the money making machine pubs that can afford to renovate and have an outside area for the smokers - now have all the patrons from the good ole locals - coz they can cater for the smokers

call it what u will but smoking and drinking is like salt on chips - you'll find a good % over 50 that people love to smoke and drink.....some poeple dont smoke BUT DO ONLY WHEN THEY ARE DRINKING.

The thing that bugs me is this so called 2nd hand smoke......the cars on the road never contribute to that...no no no its all clean air......ban the **** coming out of cars, and you rip into the govt's pocket.

in australia - 20,000 deaths per year on tobacco related deaths (open to debate for 2nd hand smoke issues - see above with pollution)

if they really want to get serious ban cigarettes FULL STOP....but no no no another govt income that cant be touched.

ITS AN ABSOLUTE FARCE....A FARACIAL OF MASSIVLEY MAMMOTH PROPORTIONS

DEBACLE!!!!!!!

Well I thought I'd through my two cents in from the perspective of an 18year old smoker who has only been on the one side of this law. I have only been to the pubs in NZ from when they banned smoking here so yes my opinion is a little limited, however I completely agree with the ban.

It may seem ironic coming from a smoker, but I hate the smell of cigarettes. I hate being in an enclosed room where people are smoking. It stinges the nostrils and is just frankly not pleasent. Smoking outside however is I think really great. Its social, relaxing and you don't have to be a smoker to enjoy it.

Yes, it will harm bars and pubs but on the flip side it will probably make life easier for the more nightclubby venues. Many venues will adapt to the new law anyhow.

So 20% of deaths are smoking related? That's 1 out of every 5 people. High percentage considering 1 in 5 people don't smoke.

Damn those cigarettes are killers...
[/b]

That means the deaths are caused by second hand smoke from being in enclosed places with loads and loads of smokers and cigarettes. That is what the ban is aimed at, cutting down on the event of second hand smoke in these types of places.. and that will help prevent and lower that 20%

<div class='quotemain'>
So 20% of deaths are smoking related? That's 1 out of every 5 people. High percentage considering 1 in 5 people don't smoke.

Damn those cigarettes are killers...
[/b]

That means the deaths are caused by second hand smoke from being in enclosed places with loads and loads of smokers and cigarettes. That is what the ban is aimed at, cutting down on the event of second hand smoke in these types of places.. and that will help prevent and lower that 20%
[/b][/quote]

yeah but you'll consume the same from cars in the walk down to the pub - the non smoking pub.

what the doctors medical people can never ever pinpoint in black n white - is that of these 2nd hand smoke related deaths, are contributed:

a. soley by cigarattes
b. general polluted air
c. direct omissions from cars
d. all of the above

its is all of the above............but do cigarettes do more than cars, we will never never know.

Not too mention lung cancer has been around before cigarettes were invented.......so potentially people will contract lung cancer from their family genes (u know what i mean: if its in family it is higher risk)...if these people whom are going to cop the cancer anyway, in some form are exposed to 2nd hand smoke during their lives.....they blame the cigarettes.

people get skin cancer without even being exposed to massive UV raise.........its just a matter of life that sucks, but come on, to blame 2nd hand smoking for 95% of lung related deaths is just a cop out.

i dont mind the clean air pubs now...........in fact i reckon its good, but sometimes some joints dont have any catering for it, and i'll be dammed if i am going outside to spark up and get done for public drunkeness.

another thing........90% of smoking in pubs in OZ in now in the poker machine room...the gambling room.

So the govt remove one problem, and throw us in the face of another....aussies biggest problem - GAMBLING

DID I NOT MENTION DEBACLE, SHAMBLES, FARACIAS, SHOCKER, PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER!!!!

So let's ignore all the research (including private studies by the Tobbaco Companies themselves) and blame it all on cars... I suppose by general pollution you blame those evil Money Making Corporations which you so hate (Ignoring the fact that is the whole point of a business - to make as high a profit as possible)

You know what Ripper.... the apprentice is now better than the master. You're now officially a better debater than me.

Lung cancer is a horrific way to die...pray you never see it.

Anything that reduces that is a no-brainer.

Anyone is who is given evidence that their hobby can increase an innocent bystander's chances of going through that and STILL maintains they have a right to indulge themselves realy wants to get a grip of themselves.

SB

yeah but you'll consume the same from cars in the walk down to the pub - the non smoking pub.
[/b]

But wouldn't it be nice to take one of those out of the equation? It's much easier to ban smoking in public place than it is to ban automobiles. No offense, it's a nasty habit. I live in a two level duplex. By this I mean I have neighbors that live below me. They smoke. We don't. Everytime I open a closet, or Cupbard, I get a refreshing breeze ala camel light.

I live in a two level duplex. By this I mean I have neighbors that live below me. They smoke. We don't. Everytime I open a closet, or Cupbard, I get a refreshing breeze ala camel light.
[/b]

Ew, couldn't handle that...especially not if it was going on my clothes before I put them on.

Can't you get underlay or linoleum down.

Fecking vile, filthy habit...the only thing worse than people smoking is smokers making out they are some sort of noble, oppressed, persecuted minority.

If they want the 'nanny state' to lay off them then the rest of us should have leave to sue them for abh.

SB

<div class='quotemain'> I hate our bloody government it is ruining the countryside this law will wreck most of the pubs around where i live.

btw getofmeland if you should happen to read this, where do you live? because i live pretty close to yeovil myself [/b]

I live in a village near Sherborne actually... where do u live??
[/b][/quote]

i live about 20 mins from sherborne, near wincanton...

going back on topic... i don't have a problem with people smoking around me, i don't smoke but if people like it then let them. if i didn't like it then i would quite happily bugger off to some place where there arent smokers. thats the main problem with our country, every thinks THEY should have the right to do whatever they want whilst ******** all over everyone else's personal choice.
i think they should change the law so that every pub has a smoking area/room which is well ventilated and have big signs saying 'if you don't like it then F**K off' (well maybe just the first bit then :p) but that will never happen because our government is too narrow minded to come up with a good idea and just do what they are told by the rich and powerful in this country.

I doubt very much that the rich and powerful have told them to ban smoking.

Latest posts