• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

GET IN THERE!!!

<div class='quotemain'>
but i must say banning smoking all together isn't the right way to go.
[/b]

They aren't banning it...they are just banning from all places where it's likely to give employees and innocent bystanders cancer.

People are free to do it as long as it isn't affecting anyone else.

Simple

SB
[/b][/quote]

Well if they don't like it they shouldn't stand there.

It's like a Muslim demanding Christanity is banned in England.

Why? How muslims have had their health harmed simply by standing next to a Christian?

Well if they don't like it they shouldn't stand there.

It's like a Muslim demanding Christanity is banned in England.
[/b]

Your metaphor only holds water if I went to your house and told you to not smoke...no it's more like a person who is harming the health and causing discomfort to those around being asked to not harm the health and cause discomfort to those around.

Why is it that the self-righteous smoking minority see pubs as purely their domain? When did they take ownership? In the past it's been the norm but then again driving when you'd had a few or without a seat belt used to be the norm.

Smokers are the slowest suicide bombers in history. ;)

SB

If it's a public domain, why then are we now being excluded.

We never caid you couldn't come in if you wanted, it's only the do-gooder lefties who kicked up a fuss because it wasn't exactly what they wanted. "waaaa... I don't like the smell of that so I'mg going to have him banned when I never use the place anyway".

f***ing communists.

again with the generalising, wanting smoking banned in public places certainly doesn't make me a communist, and again this ban has nothing to do with the smell, despite it being disgusting and the fact that this ban gets rid of that is welcome imo, but it's not what this ban is about.

It really is a communist attitude to want to reduce the number of smoking related deaths!

If it's a public domain, why then are we now being excluded.

We never caid you couldn't come in if you wanted, it's only the do-gooder lefties who kicked up a fuss because it wasn't exactly what they wanted. "waaaa... I don't like the smell of that so I'mg going to have him banned when I never use the place anyway".

f***ing communists.
[/b]

Nonsense.

That's like drunk drivers saying that they are being excluded from the road.

It's ridiculous to get all bolshy 'cause the government are forced to bring in legislation to protect the majority of people from your filthy, destructive, cancerous, carcinogenic hobby.

It's pathetic that they need laws to stop people like you from harming the people who are unfortunate enough to be near you.

SB

This is what I don't get, Smokers think it is a right to be able to stand there killing themselves, and those around them.

If that works true, is suicide bombing okay teh mite?

BM

It's pathetic that they need laws to stop people like you from harming the people who are unfortunate enough to be near you.
[/b]

I'm not too keen on that statement personally.

You make it sound as though anyone who smokes is evil, or are somehow seperate from the rest of society.

I have friends and a couple of family member who smoke. It doesn't make me like them any less or segregate them from me in any way. You can't generalise so much, otherwise you are doing exactly the same as those in favour of smoking have been accused of doing.

Yeah lets keep this civil guys, getting a bit narrow minded and sweeping here, though I understand it's an emotive subject.

They aren't banning it...they are just banning from all places where it's likely to give employees and innocent bystanders cancer.

[/b]

I wouldn't say that standing near smokers is likely to give you cancer.

IMO the omissions from heavy traffic is the same principle

so if someone doesnt smoke and gets lung cancer

who is the scientist that draws a fat line and says 20% from cars, 80% from nearby smokers

i agree that people should have clean air in pubs
what i hate is that the smoking area is the size of a sardine can.

if cigarettes are legal to purchase and smoke........then we should have equal right to the space inside to smoke....but our space is a cubicle.

Stand in that corner, and be a good smoker, and we watch you freak shows

meanwhile the non-smokers whom priase the new laws, have one drink too many and come over and ask politely - got any spares, i am drunk!!

like it matters anyway its the pubs taken a hit in the pocket.......the whole place is empty, except the smoking shoe box in the corner, where 80% of the patrons are.

I would. As would scientific evidence.
[/b]

I've yet to see this evidence which states that it is likely that you'll get cancer from being near smokers.

I'm not too keen on that statement personally.

You make it sound as though anyone who smokes is evil, or are somehow seperate from the rest of society.

[/b]

Yeah it does read a bit harsher then I'd intended but then again I daresay it probably wasn't referring to you...I have a feeling Teh Mite is on a wind up but it's those smokers who seem to think that smoking wherever they please is their inalienable right and the rest of us are vile oppressors for not just standing meekly in their cloud of toxins.

I'd say the drink driving comparison is a pretty decent one albeit taken to the nth degree. Okay, you might think it's great to get hammered then jump in a car and drive home but it's been shown to harm you and anyone unfortunate enough to get in your way so the government is forced to make it illegal because a voluntary scheme would just be ignored.

Wigan Rob you're fighting a fight you'll never win. Smoking causes cancer. Fact. Second hand smoke causes cancer. Fact.

FACT!!! A study published in the British Medical Journal appears to show that in non-smokers regularly exposed to smoke via their spouses were not at significant risk of cancer or heart disease.

Hey guys, look on the bright side!

I was studying in Aberdeen when they voted in the Smoking ban, they gave all Scottish bars and clubs 9 months to prepare and basically within 2 months, every bar and club in Aberdeen had really nice and plesant outdoor areas with outdoor heating, covering to protect from the rain and loads of comfortable leather seating.

One excellent place to spend a Friday night relaxing is at Revolution overlooking Union Terrace, its really nice.

Best thing is, as its open air, even though you are surrounded by smokers, you don't stink of smoke!

So to all those naysaying smokers: shut up! I want my nice, heated, outdoor breakout areas!!!!

Hey guys, look on the bright side!

I was studying in Aberdeen when they voted in the Smoking ban, they gave all Scottish bars and clubs 9 months to prepare and basically within 2 months, every bar and club in Aberdeen had really nice and plesant outdoor areas with outdoor heating, covering to protect from the rain and loads of comfortable leather seating.

One excellent place to spend a Friday night relaxing is at Revolution overlooking Union Terrace, its really nice.

Best thing is, as its open air, even though you are surrounded by smokers, you don't stink of smoke!

So to all those naysaying smokers: shut up! I want my nice, heated, outdoor breakout areas!!!! [/b]

Mine is the Arguement of Little Village Ammenities being shut down, because of stupid law...

<div class='quotemain'>
FACT!!! A study published in the British Medical Journal appears to show that in non-smokers regularly exposed to smoke via their spouses were not at significant risk of cancer or heart disease.
[/b]

http://www.who.int/inf-pr-1998/en/pr98-29.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/taysid...ral/6037035.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4837608.stm

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=53945
[/b][/quote]

The Problem being there is little truth in any of these reports, they are made so biased to their cause... so at the end of the day NO-ONE will know the true effects of Passive Smoking!!! Cos there will never be an Unbiased opinion!!!

The Smoking Ban will work in Towns and Cities but not Villages!!!