• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

GET IN THERE!!!

Hmmmm not so enthusiastic over this, as it will kill rural pubs!!!

and is yet another pointless law brought in by this Government, if they were to concentrate on getting Education and the NHS sorted they may be more popular, rather than just pleasing the people they wanna get votes for... This Country is becoming a Nanny State....

Also another thing is if Smoking is such a risk to our health, then why not ban it all together!!! also they are not banning the sell of tobacco in pubs either, and its yet another un-policable law...

My personal feelings is to go back to how it used to be in pubs and actually have a smoking room, which has the proper ventalation to clear the air, rather than a complete ban, cos you are then not stopping the civil liberties of smokers...

It is certainly something that shouldnt be celebrated...

f***ing lefties.

Luckily I don't drink in pubs any more, so there's not so much of a problem there now.

charlie man, its not going to kill local pubs

people dont go to pubs to smoke, they go there to drink.. it wont kill them

infact im quite glad about it here, getting rid of the smoking in restaraunts people like to think they are at home in their lounge smoking a cigarette, but rather they are in a restaurant where people are eating smoking one. That smoke does travel and it is awful.. we just recently passed the same law here in Ohio.

it is going to kill the small pub and has certainly done so here, the pubs here have gone down the tubes with the intoduction of the smoking ban but that is only part of the problem when you're being charged â'¬4+ for a pint that doesn't help, people are drinking a lot more at home since there's more of a crackdown on drinking and driving. You go into a lot of pubs and expect them to be heaving but it's more like a Tuesday afternoon than a Friday/Saturday or Sunday night.

One downside as well is the increase in body odours, no longer the cloud of smokes masks that most deadly of weapons, the sly passive fart.

Banning smoking has f*** all to do with impinging on civil liberties, they're still entitled to smoke but people must remember a pub is a workplace for the staff and they have the rights to work in a clean air environment, not much they can do about the b/o and farting though.

Banning smoking has f*** all to do with impinging on civil liberties, they're still entitled to smoke but people must remember a pub is a workplace for the staff and they have the rights to work in a clean air environment, not much they can do about the b/o and farting though.[/b]

I am not saying that the staff arent entitled, I was saying the ruling should have been thought about and that they should have designated rooms for smoking which should have the sufficant ventilation...

charlie man, its not going to kill local pubs

people dont go to pubs to smoke, they go there to drink.. it wont kill them

infact im quite glad about it here, getting rid of the smoking in restaraunts people like to think they are at home in their lounge smoking a cigarette, but rather they are in a restaurant where people are eating smoking one. That smoke does travel and it is awful.. we just recently passed the same law here in Ohio.[/b]

DC mate, I totally agree with No Smoking in Restaurants, but when you talk about local pubs, I am on about Village Pubs and the set up is totally different over here to what it is there... People go to pubs over here to have a cigarette or cigar with a pint, alot only smoke with a drink, and they dont drink at home... Smoking is part of the culture going into a local pub... The pub I drink in on a Friday night is a little village pub which has about 35 to 40 people in there on average on a Friday night, and the over 75% are smoking, now you take those 60% of those 40 people not going into the pub that pub is not going to make money, so will have to shut and yet another village ammenity being loss...

Rural England is dying thanks to Blairs Government!!!

Pubs tried to have designated smoking areas before the ban where smokers could sit but the staff still had to use the room. Unfortunately with our law being a ban on smoking in the work place, with the exception of hotel rooms and residential care rooms, that segregating the pub doesn't work. A lot of pubs will try and turn their yards into smoking areas and store their kegs elsewhere.

Does everyone know 1 bar in the whole of England is excempt from the smoking ban?... That would be the MP's bar in westminister.

Bloody Wrong if Smoking is Banned in Private Clubs and Bars they should all be banned from selling and there should be no exceptions, but I forget this Government and Politicians are above the law... ITS A DISGRACE!!!

I still can't believe people defend smoking, and use all that emotional blackmail **** about closing pubs. So people who endanger your health have rule? Rubbish.

I am definatley for banning smoking, but that would be never possible. The need is to make it socially unacceptable, by heightening the age of purchase to 18 or 21. Banning smoking in areas etc....

BM

that truly is taking the **** big time, trivial issues like that are what the conservatives should jump on if they want to get rid of this labour govt come May 09

I still can't believe people defend smoking, and use all that emotional blackmail **** about closing pubs. So people who endanger your health have rule? Rubbish.

I am definatley for banning smoking, but that would be never possible. The need is to make it socially unacceptable, by heightening the age of purchase to 18 or 21. Banning smoking in areas etc....

BM [/b]

I dont smoke, but I havent got a problem with going into a pub and people smoking however like I have previously said round food is wrong and should be banned where food is being served...

On the point of shutting down pubs, you obviously dont understand the fragile Rural Life, in our Village we have recently lost our Village shop, because it was under used, and now its shut there has been uproar about it... by the people who never used it... The majority of Villagers are people who have moved down here or bought the place as a country cottage, so are City Slickers/Townies/Londoners... They make the house to expensive to get on the property ladder in the village or in the towns... I skittle in my Grandad local pub, and this place has recently re-opened because a family from the village have decided to run it, but it was closed for 6 months at one point because there is little money to be made... and the ban on smoking is not going to help the small rural pubs and anyone who says otherwise should seriously consider looking at there way of life...

So essentially, a place is being kept open because of product known to kill those who use it and those affected around?

That is a terrible reason to keep smoking, if pubs are only for smokers they may as well be closed.

BM

[/b]

I hate to be condescending purely because of age, but until you are old enough to go into a lot of places such as pubs and clubs it's very difficult to comment properly.

Before I was regularly in bars etc, I had a very similar attitude to yours. In restaurants I think an outright ban is fair enough, I don't particularly want to be able to smell smoke while I'm eating. When going out for a drink though it doesn't overly bother me. A lot of people go outside to smoke anyway and a lot of places I go have specifically segregated areas for smoking.

I don't smoke myself but have friends who do - it is very unsociable when you have to cut off a conversation while they have to go outside.

Bascially, if you don't like the atmosphere in a place, don't go there.

So essentially, a place is being kept open because of product known to kill those who use it and those affected around?

That is a terrible reason to keep smoking, if pubs are only for smokers they may as well be closed.

BM [/b]

So your basically saying that if you live in rural england you shouldnt have a pub then... f*** off you townie... Majority of people dont give two shits about smoking in pubs, just seem this government is going to try and attract the young voters who dont smoke.... This f***ing Government is too busy telling us whats good for us and whats not good for us, if they were to get on with their job and get education and the service provided by the NHS sorted rather than f***ing around with things that dont really concern them, things that they aim to gain popularity and votes on, this country would be a bigger country... and the reason they wont give smoking a full ban is because they get all their revenue from the smoking industry, in taxes and a like... This country is in it worse state ever and because of the knobheads in power, giving out money to people who dont deserve it, letting in the scum who shouldnt be in the country then giving them money as well, as a Hard Working Tax payer it ****** me off to see the state of this country... we are the worst in europe and most of the modern world for Underage pregnancy and they decide to bring in the whole "CAFE CULTURE" thats just increased underage drinking, we are bringing up a nation of Chavs... and there is one blame and that is the ease for people to get money of the state... And you have people like my Grandad and some of his friends strugling to live on the pensions they are on, it ****** me off... they have fought in wars to save this country for f***sake... surely they deserve some respect...

BTW... Well Said Webby....

Why not this instead, if somone wants to smoke, let them smoke. If someone doesn't want to, don't force them. If somone doesn't like the smell of smoke, they shouldn't go near the smoke. They shouldn't go crying like little *****es complaining their civil liberties are being impeaded "bercause it makes my clothes smell".

What about my f***ing rights to enjoy a smoke with my beer, eh? Most of the anti-smoking lobby don't use pubs and in reality never will (the "oh, we'll pop in for 1 pint and some lunch every other month" arguement doesn't count). However, because "they don't want smokers in bars on the odd occasion they use them, I have to stop. It's ********.

And as for the health of the staff, they took a job there in the first place. They knew what to expect. And if they think it's a risk to their health that bad, they should go find a new job. There are a f*** load of other jobs out there. No doubt most oif them are happy to sit in a smokey pub anyway.

Typical left wing, nanny state bullshit and another example of how this country is going to the dogs.

Well, you can stick to inhaling 50% carbon monoxide in your pub. However I would like to drink without inhaling it, and so how does that make it any different.

And yes you are being condesending, I may not be every club and pub in the town. However that doesn't stop me being affected by the smokers who frequent them. They don't just smoke in the pub, they smoke in the street, your park, your village centre and your travel system.

Why should I have to wash my clothes, cover my mouth in some cases because some weak willed person is being selfish.

Where is St Helens? It is obvious that Southerners don't appreciate clean air, pollution etc....

What about my f***ing rights to enjoy a smoke with my beer, eh?[/b]

That is such a one eyed view, what about my rights to drink without you smoking in my face. So are pubs now run by a minority, you can't solicite about hating minorities TeH Mite like you do, because you are in one. You hold the view that if I don't like smoke I shouldn't be there, but what If I already sit somewhere, should I have to leave because you or one of chimney buddies has just sparked up? No, I shouldn't. So soon I hope the view is that you shouldn't come to a pub because you know you can't smoke.

So all this about young voters is true, I will be voting in the next election and my views count. So why should an older weaker willed person control air quality etc... As I will have to pay your f***ing cancer bill when you lose a lung.

BM

So you're saying now you don't wash a t-shirt after wearing it all day? What f***ing difference does it make? Of course, your still a kid and won't listen to what we all know is fact.

I seem to recall this discussion happening 6 months ago also.

Why not this instead, if somone wants to smoke, let them smoke. If someone doesn't want to, don't force them. If somone doesn't like the smell of smoke, they shouldn't go near the smoke. They shouldn't go crying like little *****es complaining their civil liberties are being impeaded "bercause it makes my clothes smell".[/b]

I've nothing against people smoking, just not in my presence. I don't like the smell of smoke but I don't feel why that should stop me enjoying a drink in a pub, you can't properly segregate smoking rooms, there's always going to be that lingering smell, smoke isn't going to think, oh **** better stay out of that area, that's the non smoking section.

What about my f***ing rights to enjoy a smoke with my beer, eh?[/b]

What about my f***ing rights to enjoy a pint without some moron blowing smoke in my direction and making my hangover worse

And as for the health of the staff, they took a job there in the first place. They knew what to expect. And if they think it's a risk to their health that bad, they should go find a new job. There are a f*** load of other jobs out there. No doubt most oif them are happy to sit in a smokey pub anyway.[/b]

yeah because everyone working in a pub is a well educated, middle class with plenty of job opportunities open to them. That's a pile of shite as well, a lot of people working in a pub are usually immigrants who can't get a decent job.

Typical left wing, nanny state bullshit and another example of how this country is going to the dogs.[/b]

got to love the blame culture, it's always someone elses fault, there's no possibility that your smoking is killing someone, no reason to take responsability for that, just blame Tony Blair

Thank god, for you An tarbh. The smoky crowd can't dismiss the view of someone above 18.

Seriously Teh mite, read what you write because usually there is two sides to an arguement. Not just yours. While that may be slightly hypocritical. I and other non-smokers obviously hold the moral high ground because we aren't killing ourselves and the people and children around us.

So if smoking is so good Mite, why does it mutate children in the womb. And kill so many a year?

BM

Latest posts