• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Getofmeland's Review of Rugby Challenge

Thanks for the review.

If you were playing the AI on Easy or a novice human then that might fly, but it isn't a winning strategy against an experienced human opponent and the higher difficulty levels, as fatigue and leaving holes in your line and overlap become more of a factor.

I'd imagine that it's something that'd become more apparent with more play. Perhaps getofmeland didn't play it for long enough on the better levels to see it working in the way described. I'm sure there's strategy there and players will have a lot of trial and error before they know the correct balance of tactics.

I would pre-order RWC 2011 as well if you want a true gameplay experience... they have really built on their success

Yeah, I don't think so.

Dissapointed with that. An all white one resembling a Union jersey as opposed to a league jersey would have suited me down to the ground.

If you don't like it you can change it in the edit mode. If one wished one could change it to the England 7s orange kit I believe.

Interesting review. I've been reading all the other reviews on the Sidhe forum and I haven't seen this interpretation of it. I was getting the impression it was pretty awesome with a few small weakness. Maybe it's nit picking or perhaps it a kind of swings and round about thing. Wouldn't say contrasting review, but different and informative.

Sounds good, I will only be getting RC. Will invest in HB's RWC next time round if they manage to crack better game modes. Im a game mode guy thats all

Sounds good, I will only be getting RC. Will invest in HB's RWC next time round if they manage to crack better game modes. Im a game mode guy thats all

That's fair enough. A lot of people get a lot more fun tinkering with options, game modes, kits and teams than actually playing the games nowadays so it's probably quite possible to while away months doing that on any game with a wide enough features set and decent gameplay.

Some people aren't into games that play brilliantly if they have very little in the way of features, that's just how it is.

That's fair enough. A lot of people get a lot more fun tinkering with options, game modes, kits and teams than actually playing the games nowadays so it's probably quite possible to while away months doing that on any game with a wide enough features set and decent gameplay.

Some people aren't into games that play brilliantly if they have very little in the way of features, that's just how it is.

I think the categorisation of RC gameplay = decent and RWC11 gameply = brilliant is a weeeee bit excessive and premature.

I think the categorisation of RC gameplay = decent and RWC11 gameply = brilliant is a weeeee bit excessive and premature.

I see your point, but to be honest we're getting accused, charged and convicted of such monumental bias, that really I may as well say things like that. Anyhow, it's solely based on the feedback of someone I trust and merely an opinion.

I'll give my own opinion when I get my hands on the games myself. I'm a pretty handy reviewer and absolute obsessive rugby gamer myself, but being where I'm from I'll never get to test anything early sadly.

I see your point, but to be honest we're getting accused, charged and convicted of such monumental bias, that really I may as well say things like that. Anyhow, it's solely based on the feedback of someone I trust and merely an opinion.

I've been pretty open minded, I defended Getofmeland's review on the Sidhe forums. That post kind kind of tweaked your approach from neutral to not so much so. I honestly don't see the TRF people being biased. I think it's more a case of he was used to the RWC type of game (as most of us are from 08) so probably found it comfortable and easy to adapt to. RC is totally different so I'm sure has a bigger learning curve by default.

I've been pretty open minded, I defended Getofmeland's review on the Sidhe forums. That post kind kind of tweaked your approach from neutral to not so much so.

Yeah that's probably so, but I'm more talking about the masses on the Sidhe forums who demand proof for everything I say, whereas someone who's already giving out outrageously over the top praise for RC (despite also never having played it), is completely left alone or agreed with. I see that your trying to be neutral, but that's not the approach of the majority to be honest.

I myself am still completely neutral, I see things I like in both games. I am very impressed by them both, but also disappointed by some aspects of both. That sounds fairly neutral to me.

If I happen to repeat things that Charlie has said or implied, that's because until I play the games myself, I trust his opinion very much. :)

Thanks for the review I am looking forward to both ***les greatly, thanks for the great work Mario and the team at Sidhe, especially making the game available for PC is a plus.

I don't think that gameplay in rugby 08 was anything to write home about to be honest...and by looking at the trailer for RWC2011 I saw little to no difference - they didn't even showcase the supposed improvements. I think it is very premature to say that RWC2011 gameplay is better than RC.

It would almost be worth my while to just update squads and create players on TRF rugby 10 patch seeing as it doesn't look like gameplay is any different - tackles, try scoring dives, passing, running, kicking and the physics in general looked identical to 08... there needs to be massive improvements in the physics engine to improve realism. Either they're trying to save something as a surprise for the demo or they genuinely don't have much more to offer.

I will be buying RC based on the fact they seem to have a more comprehensive and realistic physics engine - this was my impression from the trailers and gameplay footage from RWC2011 and RC.

Food for thought anyway...

cheers

I don't think that gameplay in rugby 08 was anything to write home about to be honest...and by looking at the trailer for RWC2011 I saw little to no difference - they didn't even showcase the supposed improvements. I think it is very premature to say that RWC2011 gameplay is better than RC.

It would almost be worth my while to just update squads and create players on TRF rugby 10 patch seeing as it doesn't look like gameplay is any different - tackles, try scoring dives, passing, running, kicking and the physics in general looked identical to 08... there needs to be massive improvements in the physics engine to improve realism. Either they're trying to save something as a surprise for the demo or they genuinely don't have much more to offer.

I will be buying RC based on the fact they seem to have a more comprehensive and realistic physics engine - this was my impression from the trailers and gameplay footage from RWC2011 and RC.

Food for thought anyway...

cheers

Ahh, how refreshing, someone who holds a different opinion to me, who doesn't get all negative or slinging mud at one game or another. I appreciate your views Stuart :D

As a side note, I am trying to be neutral, I just find it hard to like RWC2011 considering the evident lack of endevour undertaken by HB... prior to the release of trailers I was leaning toward RWC2011 but was bitterly disappointed to be honest.

Ahh, how refreshing, someone who holds a different opinion to me, who doesn't get all negative or slinging mud at one game or another. I appreciate your views Stuart :D

Not slinging mud, just saying it how I see it. I am hoping that we missed something in the trailer for RWC2011 because I will no doubt be forking out the $100 for it, just a shame about licenses but I guess if the gameplay does trump RC I will be more than happy.

cheers

Not slinging mud, just saying it how I see it. I am hoping that we missed something in the trailer for RWC2011 because I will no doubt be forking out the $100 for it, just a shame about licenses but I guess if the gameplay does trump RC I will be more than happy.

cheers

Yeah I was just wishing everyone could be as reasonable about it as you. Although I wouldn't say it was a lack of endeavour by HB studios. I'm aware that Sidhes budget was several million dollars and they had a fairly software producer/publisher behind them from the start. HB started this by themselves and had to pick up the project costs by themselves as EA weren't backing rugby. Eventually they got a good publisher behind them with 505 games. I'd imagine this would mean that HB games had significantly less financial resources at their disposal for this project. With that in mind, I'd say they've done pretty well.

There is some new footage up about RWC 2011 with the TRF staff playing it in another thread, it showcases some pros and some cons, but you may have already seen that by now? :)

Yeah I was just wishing everyone could be as reasonable about it as you. Although I wouldn't say it was a lack of endeavour by HB studios. I'm aware that Sidhes budget was several million dollars and they had a fairly software producer/publisher behind them from the start. HB started this by themselves and had to pick up the project costs by themselves as EA weren't backing rugby. Eventually they got a good publisher behind them with 505 games. I'd imagine this would mean that HB games had significantly less financial resources at their disposal for this project. With that in mind, I'd say they've done pretty well.

There is some new footage up about RWC 2011 with the TRF staff playing it in another thread, it showcases some pros and some cons, but you may have already seen that by now? :)

I am yet to see the footage but will have a look for it.

I am aware that they had differing budgets as well, hence any changes made to the rubgy 08 dynamic would be great - just seems weird that they wouldn't show some footage of the rucking system in the trailer.

I guess it just comes down to when they both come out, that would be the only fair comparison. I hope the positives from each game can be integrated in the future to make an epic game without licensing issues!

cheers

just seems weird that they wouldn't show some footage of the rucking system in the trailer.

Your not alone there. Many of us on the TRF staff believed that the trailer was not what it could've been at all. If it'd been a gameplay trailer or at least had focused on showing new aspects of gameplay much more than close-up action shots, then it wouldn't have received the panning it got. As it stood, it just looked like an enhanced HD version of '08 and it's largely accepted that it should've been so much better.

I hope the positives from each game can be integrated in the future to make an epic game without licensing issues!

cheers

With what both teams have produced and the potential ideas learned from each other, I don't think the future for rugby gaming has looked brighter.

I guess it all comes down to profit and loss for both teams now. :)

Latest posts