• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Getting back into training

Q

QLD

I've just finished school and I want to start training again.
I haven't done proper training for rugby or weights since August/September

I mainly want to gain weight and strength for the next two months, I could run/cardio everyday but I know it wouldn't help me in my task of weight gain and strength.

I don't have a gym.. and I'm not keen on spending hundreds for one. I might be getting a benchpress soon. Whats a good freeweight program that can help in weight gain and strength, with possible benchpress. Is swimming beneficial? If I got one of those 25kg pool salt bags could I use that for exercises

If I find a gym whats the best workout for my goals? cheers for any advice.

Read this ebook:
http://stronglifts.com/
I'd recommend the program in it to anyone, though i'd suggest modifying a little.

The two main things are:
1) In this program it calls for you to start with 0 weight on the bar, but i had (a slight amount of) experience at lifting before, so started with weight on it (not a lot, but enough to feel it at the end of the fifth set

2) Switch the Inverted Rows to "Power Cleans" - Powercleans are a great exercise for rugby as they help with explosive power

You can obviously change it around/add more in if you feel you want to, as this is just a starter program, but it covers all your bases, and theirs alot of compound lifts in there, so they work your whole body.

All the exercises on that can be done at home with just a bar and a bench (ideally squats should be done in a squat rack, just for ease of getting the bar onto your back, but you can build squat stands at home pretty easily)

I didn't believe it when it says you'll pack on weight with that program, but i gained 4-6lbs in a month from doing that, and eating sensibly, and none of it (to my eyes at least, not had a BF% test) is fat.

As for cardio, swimming is great exercise so you could do that. If you're looking to gain weight then ideally you shouldn't be doing alot, but doing a sensible amount isn't going to hurt (when i was doing that program, after each session i'd either: run 2miles, cycle for 30mins or swim for 30mins) i was also doing rugby league training twice a week, and a game every other week, so it shouldn't be too bad.

With regards to the salt bag, you can use it for exercise, i've read on a number of forums about people using sandbags instead of weights, a quick google search threw up this (among many many others) http://www.menshealth.com/men/fitness/musc...0000013281eac/2

The exercises it shows on there are all good ones as well, just put bench pressing it into that and you've got the basics of the strong lifts program shown up top.

Is that the program week 1 ABA week 2 BAB etc?

I was gonna start on that. First off I'd get back into pushups and other free weight exercises for a few weeks before I get into that so I feel ready for it.

Yup,
ABA
BAB
Leaving at least a day of rest in between (then two days between the last of week 1 first of week 2, so monday wednesday friday, or tuesday thursday saturday etc.)

Cool

wish you success buddy

rock%20on%20hand.jpg

Latest posts