• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Getting Built For Rugby

M

madmick96

I'm 14, around 189cm tall, 72kg, slender build and I have a record of around 7 for the beep test. I want to be physically stronger to play better rugby. Like strong shoulders and big muscles. At the moment one of my hardest shoulder's into a guy around my build just makes him stop dead in his tracks and almost fall over. I want to make him to smashed to the floor. I've tried a little weight training with my 20kg dumbell set. Any tips?

Well firstly, you shouldn't start weights training til you're 15.

Secondly, only do weights training every second day while your body is still developing because your muscle fibres tear whilst doing weights and they need 48 hours to recover sufficiently in order to build muscle.

If possible go to a decent gym and get a trainer to write you up a program.

Familiarize yourself with the articles on http://www.bodybuilding.com and http://www.t-nation.com

I know they focus on bodybuilding but it gives you a great insight into weight lifting.

And you don't have to be 15 to start weight lifting, there's only a small chance of stunting your growth if you do your 1 rep max on things like squats which puts stress on the back. Still, you won't be able to lift heavy enough stuff to do this!

I recommend a program such as Rippetoes, search it on bb.com. It focuses around compound lifts; like the squat, deadlift, barbell row, bench press, military press etc. Don't fall into the trap of doing loads of isolation exercises such as bicep curls!

I'm 14, around 189cm tall, 72kg, slender build and I have a record of around 7 for the beep test. I want to be physically stronger to play better rugby. Like strong shoulders and big muscles. At the moment one of my hardest shoulder's into a guy around my build just makes him stop dead in his tracks and almost fall over. I want to make him to smashed to the floor. I've tried a little weight training with my 20kg dumbell set. Any tips? [/b]
Firstly, give yourself some time...your 14.
The type of strength your looking for is Explosive Strength. Right now, at your age, I'd focus on plyometric exercises.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyometrics

Eat heaps of taro if you can find any it has a natural steroid in it thats what alot of the islanders eat thats why they're so big.

Eat heaps of taro if you can find any it has a natural steroid in it thats what alot of the islanders eat thats why they're so big.

[/b]

surely KFC is key ingredient, and they even deliver to your door in NZ, so you don't even have to get off the couch ay bro :)

One word: Steroids. [/b]

:lol:

Roid_rage.gif

<div class='quotemain'>
One word: Steroids.
[/b]

wait a bit till ur 16. dont do weight training. just machinw workouts [/b][/quote]

I can't stand machines! The only reason you should use them is if you are disabled or have a vagina.

I'm 14, around 189cm tall, 72kg, slender build and I have a record of around 7 for the beep test. I want to be physically stronger to play better rugby. Like strong shoulders and big muscles. At the moment one of my hardest shoulder's into a guy around my build just makes him stop dead in his tracks and almost fall over. I want to make him to smashed to the floor. I've tried a little weight training with my 20kg dumbell set. Any tips? [/b]

7 on the beep test is below average for a 14 year old 72kg person...You should be up around 10.5 to 12.5 interval mark for your age and weight. I did 12.8 interval at the age of 13 so theres a comparison. Quick solution to your problem if you want mass, join a gym and hit the roads...

On a short side note for the beep test... "In 1998 Eric rush ran the beep tape all the way to the end at the NZ 7s training camp in Palmy"

I'm the tallest in my family, my friends are around my height but they're like 15.

Somehow I don't believe there are a whole group of friends that are 15 and around 189cm tall... But anything is possible I guess.

An endurance running test, you have to run back and forth between 2 points (usually walls or lines) before each beep sounds. If you miss it then you're out and you get your score. The beeps get faster and faster. A 'good' score for a 14 yr old rugby player should really be 12 or higher.

eeeeek... the beep test..I hate that thing...my best ever was an 8. probably a 6 or 7 now.

My best ever was a 13.9 when I was 15. It is a hideous test. Haven't done it since thank god.

Gregan has beaten it twice now I think.

If anyone wants it, I'm sure i'll be able to get it to you somehow.

Latest posts