• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gonna start rugby, what position/ training?

improvise09

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
Hey im new to these forums
so im gonna start playing rugby for at my college next fall semester and just had a few questions

Im quite athletic, been staying fit and eating healthy for a while now. I lift weights, and do interval running/training and some long distance running.
Im 5'10'' to 5'11''. 177-180 cm and my weight is around 150 lbss, 68 kg.
First off i figure ill be playing a back and not a forward off. Im curious if im a bit small for back even, and should consider putting on some weight before starting

And Just wondering about the training a bit. Im doing 2 days a week of lifting (only free weights and big lifts (squat , DL etc). For running i do some long distance cardio once a week and then i do two other days im gonna do interval training with sprints. and bodyweight circuits. Is this a fair training program?

Anything else I should expect? or do for conditioning?

Thanks

Seems good, you may want to do weights a third day during the week and try to pick up a kg every 18 days.

Sound like a scrumhalf or a winger at the minute mate , try put on a bit of weight and push for centre or flanker perhaps ..one of the best flankers I know is only 63 kg so really in my opinion until you get to a reasonably high level of the game its all about your mindset (how hard you will hit people) and how hard you are going to work when you get on the pitch.

Latest posts