• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

GP Semi Final - London Wasps vs Bath Rugby

I keep think I'm watching Sale play, not used to seeing Bath in those colours.
What's the Wasps set up? Van Gisburgen at 10?

<div class='quotemain'> Cipriani off with a suspected broken leg! :c [/b]

Felt bad for the youngster, especially with him screaming in agony. Supposedly dislocated ankle now but not 100% confirmed.

Vid for anyone who missed it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq71TjIEYhk
[/b][/quote]
Fair play to Chris White, good refereeing there. He blew up straight away. You've gotta feel sorry for him, as Greenwood said, it's a huge set-back for him.

Ouch, I didn't see it earlier. If that's the same as what happened to Jon Clarke 2 years ago, he can kiss his international career goodbye... He'll never get his pace back.

Been on tghe pop since 12 so come on wasps!

Great defence. Gutted for Cipriani but he'll come back stronger than ever... trust me.

Now to twat Leicester (again) in the final!

Wasps 21-10 Bath

Wasps (14) 21
Tries: Waters, Flutey, Palmer Cons: Cipriani 2, Van Gisbergen

Bath (7) 10
Tries: Crockett Cons: Barkley Pens: Barkley

By James Standley
999999.gif

_44667155_haskellgetty203.jpg
Wasps flanker James Haskell was the man of the match

Wasps reached the Premiership final with a hard-fought victory against Bath but their win was marred by a serious leg injury to fly-half Danny Cipriani.

The 20-year-old was stretchered off with a suspected dislocated ankle.

Bath opened the scoring with a converted Alex Crockett try but Wasps hit back to lead 14-7 at the break through Fraser Waters and Riki Flutey.

Bath trimmed the gap courtesy of an Olly Barkley penalty but Tom Palmer's converted try saw Wasps home.

The game started, like so many knock-out encounters, in cagey fashion with both sides happy to kick for field position, but the visitors had much the better of the territorial battle initially.

They were awarded two kickable penalties inside the first five minutes but Barkley, who had landed 15 successful kicks in a row leading into the game, hooked both of them.

When a third penalty came their way inside the 22 they opted to kick for the corner, but Wasps repelled the drive and turned over possession. Bath finally took the lead after a superb kick had pinned Wasps back on their own line.

The hosts won the resulting line-out but Adams Park has very small dead ball areas behind the posts.

That meant the Bath defence was right in Cipriani's face and when he passed behind his own tryline to Josh Lewsey to clear, the full-back dropped the ball.

Crockett was on hand to pounce on the fumble and Barkley converted to give Bath a deserved lead with 27 minutes played.

Wasps had yet to mount a threatening attack but the try sparked them into life and they scored twice in six minutes.

_44667152_crocketttry203.jpg

A try from Alex Crockett (right) gave Bath the lead at Adams Park

A drive from man of the match James Haskell finally got them on the front foot and when Wasps whipped it wide Flutey's sublime delayed pass opened a gap for Waters and the outside centre scythed though to score a cracking try by the posts. Cipriani converted and they soon fired the ball down the back line once again.

Cipriani and Paul Sackey were both brought down just short of the line but Flutey followed up to dive over in the corner.

Cipriani slotted the touchline conversion and having not been at the races for the first half hour Wasps had grabbed a 14-7 lead at the break.

As the half had worn on Cipriani, the brightest young star in the English game, had become increasingly influential but eight minutes into the second half he was trapped at the bottom of a ruck and it was immediately apparent he was badly injured.

The medical staff were rapidly by his side and he was carried off with his right leg encased in a full-length support and wearing an oxygen mask.

When Barkley landed a 55th-minute penalty it looked as though Bath might be on the verge of taking control but Wasps steadied themselves and extended their lead with a superb try.

Quick hands put Tom Voyce clear down the blind side and when he was brought down, second row Palmer was on hand to power over from 10m with Cipriani's replacement, Mark van Gisbergen, adding the conversion.

After 64 minutes the hosts bade farewell to captain Lawrence Dallaglio, who was playing his final home game before retirement, and the game went to uncontested scrums after Wasps prop Tim Payne was injured.

The hosts, who by this stage had already used all their replacements, were reduced to 14 men after 69 minutes when Waters was sin-binned.

But despite some desperate late Bath attacks Wasps held out to reach the Premiership final at Twickenham on 31 May.

Wasps director of rugby Ian McGeechan:
"To win a game in which we had so little possession showed that the defensive performance was quite remarkable.

"We took our tries when the opportunities came as clinically as we have all season. But the way we defended was quite extraordinary.

"We have played without a lot of our frontline players at various times in the season so to get to another Premiership final is very satisfying. Every player has played a part in getting us there."

Bath director of rugby Steve Meehan:
"We're disappointed because we didn't play to our best.

"We had opportunities but the passes weren't up to scratch. We were our own worst enemies at times."

On open-side flanker Michael Lipman, forced off in the first half:
"Michael made a tackle and split his lip. He's had about 10 stitches.

"He had difficulty breathing so we couldn't get him back on the pitch but he'll be okay for next Sunday (the European Challenge Cup final against Worcester)."

Wasps: Lewsey; Sackey, Waters, Flutey, Voyce; Cipriani, Reddan; Payne, Ward, Barnard, Shaw, Palmer, Haskell, Rees, Dallaglio.
Replacements: Buckland, French, Birkett, Worsley, McMillan, van Gisbergen, Hart.

Bath: Maddock; Higgins, Crockett, Barkley, Banahan; James, Claassens; Barnes, Dixon, Stevens, Borthwick, Grewcock, Faamatuainu, Lipman, Browne.
Replacements: Hawkins, Bell, Short, Goodman, Walshe, Berne, Abendanon.

Referee: C Wright (RFU)

<div class='quotemain'>As Wasps are the best non-international side in the world now and will be the eventual champions, my money is on them. [/b]

I think the Crusaders might have something to say about that!
[/b][/quote]
Thank God the lesser teams have a consolation in playing the HEC final next week. But nothing compared to the almighty premiership.

Wasps business as usual, although not quite as clinical (cynical?) as last year. I reckon they'll take Leicester after a blizzard of yellow cards reduces the final to 7 a side.

Bath disappointing like they were last week - plenty grunt, norra lorra wit.

As Wasps are the best non-international side in the world now and will be the eventual champions, my money is on them. [/b]

Don't forget Saracens are the 4th best! We'd beat the 1990s cartoon football team/New Zealand S14 franchise the Hurricanes easily!

Then I'd wake up in bed realising that Saracens are really playing Gran Parma in the ECC.

*sobs*

A pity for Cipriani, to be honest a broken leg would have been better for him..if thats any consolation?

Bath disappointing like they were last week - plenty grunt, norra lorra wit.
[/b]

All too true sadly, it was a performance reminiscent of the one against Gloucester. The offloading game wasn't quite up to snuff today.
Felt pretty sorry for Cipriani though, it was a nasty injury.

<div class='quotemain'> As Wasps are the best non-international side in the world now and will be the eventual champions, my money is on them. [/b]

Don't forget Saracens are the 4th best! We'd beat the 1990s cartoon football team/New Zealand S14 franchise the Hurricanes easily!

Then I'd wake up in bed realising that Saracens are really playing Gran Parma in the ECC.

*sobs*

A pity for Cipriani, to be honest a broken leg would have been better for him..if thats any consolation?

[/b][/quote]

Yep a break would have been a 4-6 week lay off!!!

He is now facing a 2-3 + months off!!! Hes dislocated the ankle which is bad enough but now he has ruptured his ligaments also so he is facing a massive rehab ahead of him.

If its any consolation hes lucky he had blood circulating around his ankle otherwise he faced amputation!

Bath had one hope, the off loading off Mears & Stevens in the tackle ensuring quick ball. Mears didn't start, end off.

Thought Haskell out did Lipman, luckily for Haskell he wont be up against Qera next week.

Hope Wasps win now, my dislike for Leicester is so great.

Pity Bath failed here because they have played the most attractive rugby this season!

Latest posts