• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Greatest rivalries, Team vs Team and Player vs Player

Probably Australia to be honest. We're all quite baffled in this modern age with various peoples of the home nations and their obsession with beating us. Well..er..what makes you happy I guess!
[/b]

Yep... I'd say the Aussies as well, although it's always nice to beat the Irish and the Scots as well :D

Well it used to b Scots but they dont put up much of a fight anymore, its like beating up old women, thou it can be fun, there is only gonna b one winner :) jokes! Australia/France are the biggest i reckon, French possibly just edge it

To think the so called 'convicts' could leave such a dent on the British psyche.....is it perhaps we are in fact a great nation?

Stop making excuses. Whats done is done. :)

The Australia and NZ/England rivalry is a big one to me.

As for players...All front rowers.

When NZ lost it was SH vs NH for me [/b]

lol i know what you mean

in terms of teams for me hate loosing to england, feel great if we beat nz, also sa

For the English:

Scotland is historically the big rivals, but in the modern era it has been France that the sporting rivalry developed with most as since i have been watching rugby England and France have dominated the 6N most years, with so many Grand slam deciders between the two. The sporting rivalry with Aus is great too though as it is in other sports too and has had some great matches in the world cups.

At club level, Bath were the team to beat for so long, with Tigers v Bath being the rivalry between the top 2 sides (remember a certain cup final) and the game v Bath is still the big rivalry for many club sides (especially Glos and Bristol). Northampton v Tigers is also a great local derby, but in the past few years i think the big rivalry to emerge has been Wasps v Leicester, especially sine we only seem to lose to them in knockout competitions.

Players wise i always thought the Dawson-Healey rivalry was hilarious.

For Scotland its a no brainer - England always have been and always will be our biggest rivals.

And as for "hats the obsession" : I think I enjoy it so much cause you can **** yersel laughing at the TV coverage for days! :D That and because of the history between the sides.

I really liked the NPC rivalry between Jonah Lomu on the left wing for Auckland and Jeff Wilson for Otago on the right wing.

Jeff nearly always cleaned him up and I have a picture of him dragging Jonah with him over the try line and scoring. I'll always cherish that memory as Jonah had a firm grip, but Jeff was still young, had his top speed up, somewhat shook him off and then momentum did the rest.

At least all these rivalries are healthy compared to the Soccer ones oops I mean football. You Football fans are crazy mofos

France VS England is the real greatest rivalries.
For example, the semi-final of world cup 2007

[/b]

That's hardly a game you can call upon to give example of the "greatest rivalry".

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

That's hardly a game you can call upon to give example of the "greatest rivalry". [/b][/quote]

Maybe he meant the 1991 semi: that was part of a great rivalry. France v England was especially good in the early 90s and proffesional era from a 6N perspective. Since 1991 i think only 2 6N champs have not been eith England or France.

Wales and Scotland vs England because they're the big country next door so there's always a bit of David v Goliath about it, and the Celts and Anglo-Saxons have been fighting since around 500AD.

Ireland v England because of rather more recent grievances...

If only Germany had a decent rugby team, them aainst England would be a good rivalry. I'd imagine Germany would be one of the best at rugby if they played it properly.

Probably Australia to be honest. We're all quite baffled in this modern age with various peoples of the home nations and their obsession with beating us. Well..er..what makes you happy I guess! [/b]

Very happy ... repeatedly.

For Wales and Scotland the England victory still makes their season, but for Ireland these days is has to be France, and we're just not stepping up. We have to content ourselves with Argentina, and not stepping up there either. In fact, that one has gotten a bit nasty.

For France, I think it's been the ABs for the last ten years - Le Try from the End of the World and all that. Not sure what AB supporters think of that one, and France looked like losing their standing in that rivalry until ...

England-Aus will always be a laugh to outsiders, because of the mutual contempt.

The big one should be SA-ABs, given the ***anic history, but SA are either stodgy or have their minds on "bigger things".

Yeah, NZ - France has taken form into a big rivalry these days. It probably started in 1987 with the RWC final and ever since, both teams (especially France) have played some their best Rugby in their history.

But to NZ, it is always SA on historical grounds, Australia on pure happiness/**** satisfying joy, and England for the same reason as the Aussies.

So 1. SA, 2. AUS, 3. FRA, 4. ENG to the All Blacks IMHO.

I still think SA vs NZ is the ultimate game.

There is just that feeling when these 2 play. I think the Springboks are the only team that really intimidate the All Blacks. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Latest posts