• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Greatest rivalries, Team vs Team and Player vs Player

J

Jer1cho

I know there are a lot of great rivalries in the rugby world, so i thought it would be interesting to see everyones take on the biggest rivalries in the game. Both locally and internationally.

I remember watching the 2005 Tri Nations "final" between SA and NZ, when their new haka was performed for the first time. It was absolutely brilliant to watch!!!

So, do the All black fans prefer the games against SA or AUS???
Do the Australian fans prefer NZ or SA or England????
Who do the French consider as their Nemesis????

Then there are the various local ones too. I always love the Bulls vs Blues. And the Brumbies vs Crusaders. Then the Chiefs vs Stormers game is always a cracker.

I think we should also maybe include some player vs player rivalries you guys think could be like a "clash of the ***ans"

What are your thoughts

The Springboks and the All Blacks have a rivalry which is mostly based on mutual respect and the fact for 80 years they are the only team who can claim to have been our equals.

But on the other hand we probably get as much, if not more satisfaction from beating the Wannabes for the simple reason they are pricks.

England vs Scotland; Wales; Ireland; France.

All steeped in not only sporting history, but constant clashes over the last xyz number of years. That's why everyone tells themselves they love to beat us - they seem to have visions that England is still the nation you need to fight if you want to be the top dog. Forgetting of course that we stopped starting wars with each other some time ago.

Yeah, we are the same. We dont mind losing to the All Blacks as much as we hate losing to the wallabies.

Hey, why is your profile pic of a Springbok?

Anyway, Some good showdowns of players in the SA vs NZ tests.

Richie Macaw vs Juan Smith
Collins vs Burger
Habana vs Rockokoko

In SA vs AUS i think the most interesting will be Matt Giteou vs Francois Steyn

Probably Scotland vs England. Its the oldest rivalry in rugby history, although im not so sure England would consider Scotland their immediate rivals. They might look to France etc..

Heres What i would Have thought as the greatest NH and SH rivalries:

South Africa VS New Zealand
France VS England

And maybe Australia VS EVERYONE!!!!

I hold the SA - NZ games as the biggest, simply because of our history playing each other.

"Up until the start of the professional era, the Springboks had won 21 tests to the All Blacks 18, In the 29 matches since the start of the professional era, the All Blacks have won 20 tests to the Springboks' eight. "

Courtesy of Wikipedia.

The best team to ever leave NZ, the 1937 Springbok side, I have all the respect in the world for our biggest rivals.

Most of my country men would be against me on this, but I'd rather us lose to AUS than SA.

I don't know why, I just can't stand us losing to the Springboks. I have the greatest respect for them, but I just don't like losing to them more than any other country. I think it's since 1995 which is as early I can remember watching Rugby, and us losing to them in the final in the WC.

So yeah, the big 3 though are definitely SA, AUS and ENG.

Provincial wise here in NZ, it is definitely Canterbury vs Auckland.

In terms of players, the greatest rivalry I've seen on the pitch was between Justin Marshall and George Gregan. They just seemed to despise each other, and both being runty little halfbacks it was a great showdown.

Tell that to the huge amount of Saffas who live over here in Perth [/b]

I just mean that there are tough rivalries, but whenever we play Australia, it hurts that much more to lose, and feels that much better to win.

Beating NZ is the ultimate for SA, but its soooooooooooo satisfying beating Australia!!!

As far as the NH goes, i think the Frenchies are always a danger, whenever we play them, we never know what to expect. The style of play the Boks have, and the style the French have are so different. So there is always that uncertainty when playing France.

Tell that to the huge amount of Saffas who live over here in Perth [/b]

I just mean that there are tough rivalries, but whenever we play Australia, it hurts that much more to lose, and feels that much better to win.

Beating NZ is the ultimate for SA, but its soooooooooooo satisfying beating Australia!!!
[/b]
Hehe, now you know how we feel when we lose to England, beating NZ is an achievement but despite Englands fluctuations of form a loss to them hurts for months...just look at the pain after the quarters of the WC...I still feel dead inside :p

Hehe, now you know how we feel when we lose to England, beating NZ is an achievement but despite Englands fluctuations of form a loss to them hurts for months...just look at the pain after the quarters of the WC...I still feel dead inside

[/b]

I think thats how the New Zealanders must feel when they lose to France.

I think the Brett "the hitman" heart vs Shawn Micheals feud was the greatest..

In terms of players, the greatest rivalry I've seen on the pitch was between Justin Marshall and George Gregan. They just seemed to despise each other, and both being runty little halfbacks it was a great showdown.[/b]

Good call!!!

[/b]

The Texas Rattlesnake, Stone Cold Steve Austin vs Vincent Kennedy McMahon was the greatest IMO

I think we like beating AUS so much is because they sore losers (not ALL the time of course) and they're not very graceful when they win. Kinda blow their own trumpet too much. The English fall in that category as well.
NZ are always professional, on and off the field.

On provincial terms I love when we beat the Bulls and WP

I think we like beating AUS so much is because they sore losers (not ALL the time of course) and they're not very graceful when they win. Kinda blow their own trumpet too much. The English fall in that category as well.
NZ are always professional, on and off the field.

On provincial terms I love when we beat the Bulls and WP

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

The Texas Rattlesnake, Stone Cold Steve Austin vs Vincent Kennedy McMahon was the greatest IMO [/b][/quote]

BULLCRAP! BRING! IT! AWWWWWWNNN! :rahh:

Since most teams seem to consider England as one of their biggest rivals, who do the English think themselves, my thoughts would be the French and the Aussies but would that be the overall consensus or is the Scotland rivalry still up there?

Probably Australia to be honest. We're all quite baffled in this modern age with various peoples of the home nations and their obsession with beating us. Well..er..what makes you happy I guess!

Latest posts