• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Greatest rivalries, Team vs Team and Player vs Player

<div class='quotemain'> Probably Australia to be honest. We're all quite baffled in this modern age with various peoples of the home nations and their obsession with beating us. Well..er..what makes you happy I guess! [/b]

Very happy ... repeatedly.

For Wales and Scotland the England victory still makes their season, but for Ireland these days is has to be France, and we're just not stepping up. We have to content ourselves with Argentina, and not stepping up there either. In fact, that one has gotten a bit nasty. [/b][/quote]

*stares blankly* :mellow:

Y'know the history thingy? Does it annoy you guys when you find that the English have no clue what you are you are talking about and stare blankly before changing the conversation to puppies, fuel tax, moving to Australia and Manchester United vs Arsenal?

I know it ****** off the Scots more than anything, especially when an Englishman (quite innocently) says
"William Wallace? Was he in Highlander?" :huh: [/b]

Even if the French enjoy themselves defeating the All-Blacks or the Springboks the auld enemy remains England. To make it soft French players want to anihilate their English counterparts, and to rape their wives and eat their children after the match. I think it will be like this forever at as long as Joan d'Arc ashes are not returned to France.

Probably Australia to be honest. We're all quite baffled in this modern age with various peoples of the home nations and their obsession with beating us. Well..er..what makes you happy I guess!
[/b]
Generally because of stuff like this...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtm...1/srwale311.xml
Try reading a few of the comments for a few more reasons why.
(Just in case anyone is wondering, it is not Martin Johnson the player but a silly butter Saes Journo of the same name.)

<div class='quotemain'>
Probably Australia to be honest. We're all quite baffled in this modern age with various peoples of the home nations and their obsession with beating us. Well..er..what makes you happy I guess!
[/b]
Generally because of stuff like this...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtm...1/srwale311.xml
Try reading a few of the comments for a few more reasons why.
(Just in case anyone is wondering, it is not Martin Johnson the player but a silly butter Saes Journo of the same name.) [/b][/quote]

you should learn a lesson from English rugby fans: ignore the English media, they always spout rubbish!!!! On the other hand if it makes playing/beating England more satisfying then believe every word.

England Vs France ! I never saw so many angry people after the match this week-end, at the Stade de France!

It seems there are 2 types of rivalries. There's the local (in the loosest use of the term local) rivalries be it Leicester v Saints, Brumbies v Waratahs, Scotland v England or whatever and then there's the rivalries forged by playing at similar levels in the competition. E.g. in the 6 nations the England France rivalry stemmed heavily from being the top 2 teams in the 6N for a number of years. Similarly the Scotland-Italy rivalry at the other end of the table, or Wasps-Leicester at club level.

NSW v Queensland... always seems to have a lot of hate.

Player by playere I'd say Justin Marshall and George Gregan had one of the best rivalries when they were both in their prime.

England and France. that was major beef in the early 90s. Leading up to RWC both of us were AWESOME teams. Because of England's success in that period, people forget quite how good France were. This rivalry is 1000 years old.

All Celtic teams hate England, I don't think it's reciprocated with such venom.

Leicester vs Stade Francais.

At lower level, Richmond youth vs Rosslyn Park youth...!

Biggest rivalry is

Scarlets v Ospreys

Never seen hatred like it, especially in the last 2 years.

Gloucester Vs Bath is the big game for Gloucester fans. Having been regularly hammered by Bath during their golden era its good that it is now a more level playing field. Still cant beat the posh ******** at the wreck!! :wall:

NPC:

Auckland vs Canterbury

Auckland vs North Harbour (Battle of the Bridge)

Otago vs Southland

Wellington vs Taranaki

Super 14:

Blues vs Chiefs

Blues vs Crusaders

Waratahs vs Reds

Stormers vs Bulls

The greatest team vs team rivalry is obviously South Africa vs Australia/New Zealand

Latest posts