• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Greatest Rugby Moment

T

timmyhoran

For me as an Australian the greatest moment in rugby was in the 1991 RWC semi final between Aus and NZ. Lynagh chipped over the top, Campo regathers, jinks once, jinks twice, over the shoulder pass to Horan who touches down.

Also liked 1995 RWC QF between NZ and ENG when Jonah trampled Mike Catt (very appropriate name) and they had to remove his frail, pale English body from the Newlands turf with a shovel.

Worst Moment thats easy. RWC Final 2003. Losing a Final is bad. Losing to a POM is unforgiveable.

my best was 99 semi against NZ ... dominici ....
worst was probabliy the match after against Aus ... so as 2003 semi. i agree with you, loosing against ROAST BEEFS is never agreable, specially for french :)

i agree with you, loosing against ROAST BEEFS is never agreable, specially for french :) [/b]

I'm sure you're used to it by now though, we're undefeated since 1066. ;)

????????????? zidane portugal 2004 90' free kick, 92' penalty kick !!!! :) seems you have short memory :)

i know and i was joking too mate !!!

do you seriously think that i would have learned english if i hated English ... :)

1066 to 2007 includes 1914-18 and 1939-45 ... i'm not so silly

anyway this has nothing to do with rugby ... 99 will remain the french best match ever till next october when we will have wom the WC :) beating NZ with Lomu is quite huge don't you think ?

In order to get to, what was for me at least, the greatest highlight as a rugby fan, you first need to get back to the low-light.

The undoubted low-light for me was the entire Springbok tour to New Zealand in 1981, culminating in the Auckland flour bomb test. Even though I was only a wee 6-year-old lad back then, I definately understood all about the great Springbok-All Black rivalry already. And I also recognised that the Kiwi`s were as passionate, if not more so, about their rugby as us Saffas.

So to see the way that a passionate rugby-mad country like New Zealand was divided over the Bok tour, was definately extremely painful for me as an individual. But it also caused me to start thinking about the reasons for the protests, and I must admit, I was ashamed of being a South African at that stage.

So imagine my delight when it all came full circle, against the traditional rivals, the old enemies, at Ellis Park on a glorious, sunny June afternoon in 1995.

About the RWC final of 1995 there have been volumes written already. I`m not going to dwell on that. But to see the great man himself, Nelson Mandela, the legendary Madiba, all dressed up in Francois Pienaar`s Bok no.6 jersey, presenting the trophy, Pienaar`s "we had 43 million South Africans supporting us" victory speech, well I must admit that I had tears in my eyes. I`ve never felt more proud of being a South African, and never more proud of the Boks, my beloved Boks, finally representing a united SA.

The tremendous strides made in healing the wounds of the past on that glorious day had much more to do with the birth of the new South Africa than 1 million words spoken by any politician before, or since.

1: England winning RWC 2003 ... i still remember exactly where I was and what everyone said ... awesome

2: From recent memory, Wilkinson's comeback against Scotland

1066 to 2007 includes 1914-18 and 1939-45 ... i'm not so silly

anyway this has nothing to do with rugby ... 99 will remain the french best match ever till next october when we will have wom the WC :) beating NZ with Lomu is quite huge don't you think ? [/b]

Uuuuh ... I think you both lost rather badly in those two wars (although England still stumbles after America on a veeery long victory lap).

I look forward to France beating the ABs in the 1/4 finals - Allez les Bs!

I look forward to France beating the ABs in the 1/4 finals - Allez les Bs!

will i still be alive for this moment?

but on topic mine as an englishmen is 2003 as a year for england but especially that drop goal

as a bristol fan though bristol's season this year after starting as one of the favourites for the drops ;)

but truthfully the first english bit :D

wallabies beating new zealand in the 2003 semi final and watching them in the final, unfortunately not getting up in the end but i was still proud to see them there.

Worst Moment thats easy. RWC Final 2003. Losing a Final is bad. Losing to a POM is unforgiveable.

[/b]

Yeah but you can console yourself with the fact that England were head & shoulders above every other team in the tournament.

I can take defeat when it's deserved, the ones where you've been robbed are the real killers.

This is the best rugby moment ever :

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4tA3MBgBaA0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4tA3MBgBaA0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Nothing tops that

Haha i remember that. He must have been happier than anyone else when the final whistle blew and Irish won :D

Haha i remember that. He must have been happier than anyone else when the final whistle blew and Irish won :D [/b]

I bet he's never, ever allowed to forget it though.

the greatest moment that i have seen was the try that the bar bars scored against the all blacks by edwards what an amazing try the way rugby should be played

the greatest moment that i have seen was the try that the bar bars scored against the all blacks by edwards what an amazing try the way rugby should be played [/b]

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q_GEDBekZuU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q_GEDBekZuU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I prefer JPR Williams' effort from the same game myself;

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sW1cWJzO01Q"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sW1cWJzO01Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Latest posts