ORothlain

Official Plastic Paddy
TRF Legend
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
Ulster
00089f67-960.jpg
Grip Mitts were huge for a while, with all the big names wearing them. Then they went out of vogue. However, they are still sold.
What's the deal? I never really caught any news about pros or cons, why they were fashionable once, then quickly non-fashionable.
Any insight, gents?

They don't do anything.
I dunno if you've ever worn them by they don't really add any grip and they don't keep your hands warm - they are essentially a fashion accessory.

They would probably be more popular if they were as grippy as NFL gloves, but I'm pretty sure that those are illegal because they can cause friction burns (they have absolutely ridiculous grips - like wearing glue on your hands).

Useful for handling the ball in wet, cold conditions. But useless at keeping hands warm. Also I notice undershirts seem to have gone out of fashion as well a bit.

Useful for handling the ball in wet, cold conditions. But useless at keeping hands warm. Also I notice undershirts seem to have gone out of fashion as well a bit.

They don't make much of a difference because most people catch the ball with their fingers so the grip part doesn't really come into play that much, even in wet weather most people worth their salt catch with a cupping "breadbasket" motion so again they don't make much of an impact.

Not sure on the compressions shirts, i'm under the impression a base layer is still a staple of most pro players kits, you only really see the long sleeves in bad weather, but i think it's pretty common to have a base layer covering thighs to biceps.

Yeah, I've worn them once and didn't find they made any difference whatsoever.

They don't make much of a difference because most people catch the ball with their fingers so the grip part doesn't really come into play that much, even in wet weather most people worth their salt catch with a cupping "breadbasket" motion so again they don't make much of an impact.

Not sure on the compressions shirts, i'm under the impression a base layer is still a staple of most pro players kits, you only really see the long sleeves in bad weather, but i think it's pretty common to have a base layer covering thighs to biceps.

They made to handling difference in freezing wet conditions. Never wore them outside of that, but they make the ball less slippery when it's soaking. Also your fingers point is a really odd one, the grip covered all of the hand barring the fingertips, nobody should be catching with fingertips.

optimum-sticky-grip.jpg