• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Guess what arrived on my doorstep this morn?

Originally posted by loslover the 2nd coming+Jan 29 2006, 09:48 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (loslover the 2nd coming @ Jan 29 2006, 09:48 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Air Ben
@Jan 29 2006, 10:37 PM
I would like to see Jonah lomu rugby 2! Basically same game but:

*3D
*Updated teams/kits/licenses
*Guinness Prem, Super 12 et...

You get my picture...
<

Trev, if you make it I will love you for ever...
<

<

<

<
begs the question...why didn't they? [/b]

It's got to the stage that even the graphics would only have to be fractionally improved and have the new licences and I would pay full price for it!

Originally posted by loslover the 2nd coming+Jan 29 2006, 09:48 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (loslover the 2nd coming @ Jan 29 2006, 09:48 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Air Ben
@Jan 29 2006, 10:37 PM
I would like to see Jonah lomu rugby 2! Basically same game but:

*3D
*Updated teams/kits/licenses
*Guinness Prem, Super 12 et...

You get my picture...
<

Trev, if you make it I will love you for ever...
<

<

<

<
begs the question...why didn't they? [/b]
They sort of did...

The thing is (and this is just my theory) that with the arrival of our current gen of consoles, there was a huge gap between 1997 JLR (which didn't look too good at the time as well) and 2003 WCR, meaning that with the new 3d engine they had, there was far less they could get away with in terms of animation... In JLR the graphics were shitty... Honestly, they were/are crappola... With WCR you actually had arms that moved, which are really a requirement these days for sports games... It is a hell of a lot more complex, and involves a hell of a lot more... In WCR the controllabilty was great, the passing was slick, and the kicking was the best system yet, they had the very basics right... However, things got lost away with the complexity of the game engine. They couldn't just walk through people anymore. In JLR players went from crouching for a tackle to lying on the ground in just one frame...

Basically, not making any excuses (well, I am...), but there was just too much... Rugby 2005, Rugby 2001, Rugby League etc. etc. apparantly hasn't lived up to JLR... They're all in the era of 3d, 60FPS **** as well...

...Not even Top Spin beats Pong...

.:kaftka:.

You nailed it. Great post, summed the whole "why isn't that game as good as JLR" argument perfectly.

Originally posted by ZoMbIeAsRtOnAuT@Jan 30 2006, 11:21 AM
.:kaftka:.

You nailed it. Great post, summed the whole "why isn't that game as good as JLR" argument perfectly.
huh?

it's a great hypothetical for sure....

but what about the alternatives -

1. Maddens started out 2d and ****...now it is gaming nirvana...and frankly the money goes mostly on licensing etc...those guys can just make and understand games....like the WCR crew apparently knew rugby and should have made a much better game.

2. They may have sacked the main guy who kicked arse in the programming of JLR and with out him they lost their mojo - with him the game may indeed have been made instead of WCR and god knows what we would be getting with its sequel in terms of the highest quality.

3. the attitude is wrong - gameplay over graphics in situations where their implementation is superfluous - i.e. we will have cool jerseys and involve the premiership etc....but we will not bother with jump and we will keep the spped bar.....!!!???
<
<
....come on guys - that is just stupid. Honestly now - that is straight out fact for any gamer or game lover surely? What decision would you have made?

4. They could have just worked longer on the game.....it would have been better....thus word of mouth would have provided much more sales...thus more money....thus a better game. They didn't...they took the low road (yes, its great to have feedback in forums and their participation, but their job(s) are to make a good game - spend your time doung that) and we all missed out.

5. They could get it right, like they should have already, with the nest one - buit they opted to not do another. Bah Humbug.......a good first game and a devent sequel would have set you on your way and fulfilled our dreams.

they could have simply used the same engine base of jlr and then upgraded it with licenses and additional things (like pop balls that actually DON'T work), but either they or your own vivid imaginations have made you believe this isn't possible..........of course it is.
But they got either arrogant or forgetful or something and they put out a game with no jumping and speed bars to name a thousand annoyances....how is that justifiable in relation to stepping up from one bit to another etc....

I finished off the street fighter 2 emulation on ps2 before and, let's face it, there are no technical limitations on remaking and, if one chooses, upgrading a game.

this error had more to do with egos than electrics IMO.

Ask yourself this - is it the game you would have made or endeavoured to make? answer: NO. It's not that WCR and WCR2 should be as good as JLR.....

they should be MUCH, MUCH BETTER.

after all, EA don't care anywhere near as much apparently (and likely too) as Swordfish....yet, they are making greater strides....how can this be? They are two games into using the new engine, and rugby 06 looks mean as...sworfish's labour of love is flawed from the get go for inexplicable reasons....why?

ego - their fault
budget - unfortunate and arguably not their fault, but then remember the earlier point = If they had made a better fist of the first they would have made more money....

repeating serious flaws in a final sequel is inexcusable.....well it is, but it doesn't warrant buying....where the hell is the $ going anyway? everyone's paid and they are not making a sequel....bugger that! lol.

Originally posted by esoj@Jan 29 2006, 08:40 AM
more quality posting there from doovepop. Game developers must be really bored in your fantasy world doovepop only being able to play their own games and none of the comeptition.
yep i agree, i do post quality posts and i wonder where you got the word "fantasy world" from.
<

Originally posted by Trev@Swordfish+Jan 29 2006, 03:33 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Trev@Swordfish @ Jan 29 2006, 03:33 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-doovepop
@Jan 29 2006, 01:13 AM

oh, you let slip that you will be playing a game that is a competing product to your game, not very "professional", would'nt you say Trev?
<

<

<

Sorry ... I'm confused. I play all of the competing products ... for days. We write analysis reports on all of them - in great depth. And I would expect our competitors to do the same with ours.

Why is that not professional?
<

It would be unprofessional of me to comment on their games openly but I'm not sure it's a huge surprise that I play them all. Hey, I love rugby - why wouldn't I. [/b]
Jokes Trev, geez you need to lighten up a bit m8.
<
<

also Trev don't you answer you pm's anymore, come on don't be like Mario.
<

what are you realy busy? is that why you can't answer you pm's?

Thanks m8

Los, I only read your first point...I admit it...So I will only reply to your first point...

1. That's hardly an alternative is it? That has been a yearly game for god knows how long, they have added bit by bit by bit for ages... JLR was released in 1997, it's "sequel" was released in 2004 (?). That one point doesn't counteract my original at all... I can't think of another example unrelated to rugby, so just think about it...

Anyway, my opinion was just one of the many many possibilities that at least one other person shares...

Hey ZoMbIe, wanna come out and get ******?

Originally posted by doovepop+Jan 30 2006, 10:46 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (doovepop @ Jan 30 2006, 10:46 PM)</div>
Originally posted by Trev@Swordfish@Jan 29 2006, 03:33 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-doovepop

oh, you let slip that you will be playing a game that is a competing product to your game, not very "professional", would'nt you say Trev?
<

<

<

Sorry ... I'm confused. I play all of the competing products ... for days. We write analysis reports on all of them - in great depth. And I would expect our competitors to do the same with ours.

<

It would be unprofessional of me to comment on their games openly but I'm not sure it's a huge surprise that I play them all. Hey, I love rugby - why wouldn't I.
<
<

<

Thanks m8 [/b]
Doovepop, who let you back in the house?

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.+Jan 31 2006, 12:16 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (.:kaftka:. @ Jan 31 2006, 12:16 AM)</div>
Originally posted by doovepop@Jan 30 2006, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Trev@Swordfish@Jan 29 2006, 03:33 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-doovepop

<

<

<

<

It would be unprofessional of me to comment on their games openly but I'm not sure it's a huge surprise that I play them all. Hey, I love rugby - why wouldn't I.

<
<

<

Thanks m8
Doovepop, who let you back in the house? [/b]
twas raining outside..........dont be slack
<

lol. doovepop is moving in it seems. He couldn't pay the rent at sidhe so he is now residing here. Trev's pm box will never be the same again I think. expect more quality post such as this from doovepop

Los be careful what you say knowsleyroader and st helens might have heart attacks.

los you are dead right the speed bar thing shouldn't be in there at all. everyone is complaining about it and wondering why it's back in. also people have been saying you have to button mash/bash why?

this game was hyped on this forum just as much as people said rl 2 was if not more. this game has failed to live up to this hype without a doubt.

swordfish have been bough by vivendi so swordfish have to do what they say, which sadly means no more sports games for them and no rugby challenge 2007. I am sure the guys at swordfish would love to do another game but vivendi seem to have other plans for their talent and skill.

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Jan 31 2006, 01:15 AM
Los, I only read your first point...I admit it...So I will only reply to your first point...

1. That's hardly an alternative is it? That has been a yearly game for god knows how long, they have added bit by bit by bit for ages... JLR was released in 1997, it's "sequel" was released in 2004 (?). That one point doesn't counteract my original at all... I can't think of another example unrelated to rugby, so just think about it...

Anyway, my opinion was just one of the many many possibilities that at least one other person shares...

read my whole post and comment..

or don't comment at all.

thanks
<
<

Originally posted by loslover the 2nd coming+Jan 31 2006, 01:38 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (loslover the 2nd coming @ Jan 31 2006, 01:38 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-.:kaftka:.
@Jan 31 2006, 01:15 AM

or don't comment at all.

thanks
<
<
[/b]
...No.

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.+Jan 31 2006, 03:31 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (.:kaftka:. @ Jan 31 2006, 03:31 PM)</div>
Originally posted by loslover the 2nd coming@Jan 31 2006, 01:38 PM

or don't comment at all.

thanks
<
<
...No. [/b]
thanks - it''s gd to admit you are losing focus as you have been and avoiding solid argument. You are vindicated by choosing to not mke inane comments this time.

<
<
<
<

cher cuz

Originally posted by loslover the 2nd coming+Jan 31 2006, 02:34 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (loslover the 2nd coming @ Jan 31 2006, 02:34 PM)</div>
Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Jan 31 2006, 03:31 PM

or don't comment at all.

thanks
<
<

...No.
thanks - it''s gd to admit you are losing focus as you have been and avoiding solid argument. You are vindicated by choosing to not mke inane comments this time.

<
<
<
<

cher cuz [/b]
Go f*** yourself
<
<

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.+Jan 31 2006, 03:35 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (.:kaftka:. @ Jan 31 2006, 03:35 PM)</div>
Originally posted by loslover the 2nd coming@Jan 31 2006, 02:34 PM

or don't comment at all.

thanks
<
<

...No.

<
<
<
<

cher cuz
Go f*** yourself
<
<
[/b]
<
<
<

<

what! huh.....kaftka's losing focus and his arguments are becoming porous and lame? what's new - let me sleep damn it! cher...

<
<
<
<
<
<

Originally posted by loslover the 2nd coming+Jan 31 2006, 02:38 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (loslover the 2nd coming @ Jan 31 2006, 02:38 PM)</div>
Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Jan 31 2006, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by loslover the 2nd coming@Jan 31 2006, 02:34 PM

or don't comment at all.

thanks
<
<

...No.

<
<
<
<

cher cuz

Go f*** yourself
<
<
<
<
<

<

what! huh.....kaftka's losing focus and his arguments are becoming porous and lame? what's new - let me sleep damn it! cher...

<
<
<
<
<
<
[/b]
<

Sorry, I was being IRNOIC...

It was a joke.

<
<

riiiiight - so - rry then.
<

Mmmmmmmmmm

bit hard to pick

it could have been the 'go f*** yourself' part or your preceding badgering leading up tp the comment - but I think it is undrstandable I didn't pick that one.

my apologies anyhow of that was really the case (even if in retrospective hindsight - lol!!)

I should have picked it as irnoic....er....ironic.
<

sweet az and no worriez....
<

No worries, I was being a smartarse to your "choosing not to make inane comments this time" remark...

See, we can get along, right?

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Jan 31 2006, 04:53 PM
No worries, I was being a smartarse to your "choosing not to make inane comments this time" remark...

See, we can get along, right?
<

Latest posts