• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Guess what arrived on my doorstep this morn?

The more I play it, the more I like it. I liked it a lot after the initial few hours I had with it, but playing it at decent length yesterday really proves to me that we've got a game on our hands. It will take some time to master Intensive Care level. I'd been playing it all afternoon, played one game in the Six Nations and got absolutely creamed by Ireland. I like my learning curves steep.

What would you say about the depth of tactical options? Obviously this is geared as a fast paced arcade-esque game, but can you successfully use your forwards to dominate a team with a lesser pack?

Originally posted by toup@Jan 26 2006, 10:12 PM
What would you say about the depth of tactical options? Obviously this is geared as a fast paced arcade-esque game, but can you successfully use your forwards to dominate a team with a lesser pack?
Yes.

I played as Italy against England and my pack got absolutey destroyed. Your players get flattened if you try to shoulder charge, although of course some Italians are bigger than the English player they were running at.

It's great if you run with a forward at a back and see their shoulder charge go spectacularly wrong as you nudge them aside.

Originally posted by toup@Jan 26 2006, 10:12 PM
my guess...in the swordfish game - no way bro.

<

not to any realistic degree you are thinking, not from what I have heard and read.

KR and locksley really like it though, they may know for sure whether this is possible......although like free bakery food or when the McDonald's driveway tells you you can have the rest of the burgers becos they are closing......you are always more easily satisfied....

<
<

Originally posted by wow!aframeup!+Jan 26 2006, 10:15 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wow!aframeup! @ Jan 26 2006, 10:15 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-toup
@Jan 26 2006, 10:12 PM

<

not to any realistic degree you are thinking, not from what I have heard and read.

KR and locksley really like it though, they may know for sure whether this is possible......although like free bakery food or when the McDonald's driveway tells you you can have the rest of the burgers becos they are closing......you are always more easily satisfied....

<
<
[/b]
<
Its funny how you always manage to deteriorate talking about the game into having a sly swipe at someone.

You get boring awfully quick sir.

Originally posted by wow!aframeup!+Jan 26 2006, 10:15 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wow!aframeup! @ Jan 26 2006, 10:15 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-toup

<

<
<
[/b]
<
You do love stirring don't you... I realise that this is never going to be a simulation, but I was wondering if it is at least possible to play different styles - not always end up scoring the same tries. So an answer from one of the guys who has it would be appreciated as I am sure that the freebie hasn't clouded their judgement too much... a free dog turd would still smell...

Originally posted by toup+Jan 26 2006, 10:22 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (toup @ Jan 26 2006, 10:22 PM)</div>
Originally posted by wow!aframeup!@Jan 26 2006, 10:15 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-toup

<

<
<
<
You do love stirring don't you... I realise that this is never going to be a simulation, but I was wondering if it is at least possible to play different styles - not always end up scoring the same tries. So an answer from one of the guys who has it would be appreciated as I am sure that the freebie hasn't clouded their judgement too much... a free dog turd would still smell... [/b]
From what I have played so far, you can play to your own / teams strengths so with a bigger pack, you will have more impact playing up the middle with the forwards should you choose to do so.

FWIW, I also got a free copy of RL2. You can see how the freebies really win me over cant you
<

toup - on easy, the answer is to run crossfield and miss out men, giving your winger an easy try.

I haven't got the answers to normal yet, most of my tries to come down the wings but I have scored some lovely tries, crashing through people, offloading for 45 yard run ins, catching a ball in my own 22 with my full back, throwing one dummy and romping under the sticks.

As for intensive care, ouch.... I didn't manage a thingy dingy.

There are always different ways to score tries. Just a question of whether you want to use them or not.

Cheers guys, that's good to know. Sounds like both new games could be worth buying as they seem to offer very different things.

Originally posted by toup@Jan 26 2006, 10:32 PM
Cheers guys, that's good to know. Sounds like both new games could be worth buying as they seem to offer very different things.
Absolutely.

Just found out that my Frenchie copy has come through the letterbox...

Wonder if i would get away with pulling a sickie from work!!
If not, i'll just have a game hangover tomorrow...

Well look at all of you lucky b*stards with the game! Another question, what are the ways of beating men (interpret that how you like) in the game? Do dummies, fends, sidesteps all work how they should? Can you smash straight through weak tackles with big forwards? And how useful are offloads once you've had a bit of practice?

Originally posted by toup@Jan 27 2006, 12:06 AM
Well look at all of you lucky b*stards with the game! Another question, what are the ways of beating men (interpret that how you like) in the game?
<

Brilliant.

...Oh, and is manual jumping included? I know this has been answered in the past, and I have the feeling I already know the answer, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is.... Maybe wow!aframeup! can help me out?

Originally posted by toup@Jan 27 2006, 12:06 AM
Well look at all of you lucky b*stards with the game! Another question, what are the ways of beating men (interpret that how you like) in the game? Do dummies, fends, sidesteps all work how they should? Can you smash straight through weak tackles with big forwards? And how useful are offloads once you've had a bit of practice?
There are a few ways.

I haven't yet found a sidestep button, but there must be one in there somewhere. If your winger is quick, you can just, as Ripper would say, "smoke" someone with sheer pace. You can dummy your way past people (I sat someone down with it yesterday), and of course, you can hand them off (size of opponent naturally pending).

(turning into Cathy)

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Jan 27 2006, 12:39 AM
Is this because I call you Len?
You do? Errr.... I only call you Cathy because Eric started doing it?

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC+Jan 27 2006, 12:43 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Jan 27 2006, 12:43 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-.:kaftka:.
@Jan 27 2006, 12:39 AM
Is this because I call you Len?
You do? Errr.... I only call you Cathy because Eric started doing it? [/b]
If Eric started taking performance enhancing drugs would you? No. It'll shrink your genitals. Come on, you're better than that. You're the Bishop of this place...

I mean, seriously, couldn't you have called me kaffer or something...

Latest posts