• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Harris to Fev

S

St Helens RLFC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/7620046.stm

Harris set for Featherstone role

Former dual-code international Iestyn Harris says he is close to agreeing a player-coach position with National League One side Featherstone Rovers.

The 32-year-old is out of contract at Bradford and played his last game for the Bulls in Friday's 30-14 Super League play-off defeat at Wigan.

The ex-Wales and Great Britain cap said he might retire from playing but should now carry on in a dual role at Rovers.

"It's not a done-deal as such but it's pretty close," Harris told BBC Wales.

Harris will join up with former Leeds Rhinos team-mate Daryl Powell at the Chris Moyles Stadium, who has agreed a three-year deal to be Rovers head coach.

"He's been coaching Leeds Tykes (now Leeds Carnegie) for the last five years and he's back in rugby league now," Harris said.

"He's looking to progress his career in rugby league and he's a really good coach.
o.gif

"He's someone who's going to be fantastic to learn from and someone I want to work under for the next two or three years, to progress not just my playing career but my coaching career to take me onto the next level.

"It's something I've wanted to do for a long time, I've got a lot to give to the coaching side of things.

"I feel I've got a good understanding of rugby in both codes and it's something I want to do and fell I'd be very good at."

The news will be a blow to Super League new boys Celtic Crusaders, with the Bridgend-based club having been keen to bring Harris into their set-up.

"I spoke to (Crusaders head coach) John Dixon a couple of times, I got on reasonably well with John but things didn't really progress beyond that," Harris added.

"I don't think you can never say never in the world of rugby and Celtic Crusaders are hopefully going to be around Super League for the next five, 10, 15 years.

"If my coaching career goes well and if I progress as I hope and feel I can then maybe sometime in the future I will link up with the Celtic Crusaders." However, Dixon will continue to work alongside Harris in the Wales set-up as the role with Rovers will not interfere with Harris' appointment to the Wales backroom staff.

Stay well away Cymro - Harris is finished at Super League level.

Didn't make the cut it in RU, went back and couldn't do it there either... not the best way to end one's career.

Gutted he has decided not to join the revolution down south, seen his last few games he played and he weren't great!

Latest posts