Have to play ITM Cup?

Kiwiwomble

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Otago
Here's the question, in the past players had to be signed to a province to be able to play Super Rugby. Is that still tha case? and if so...who is brad throne playing for?

I saw Brad Thorn in either the Otago player stands or on the side of the field back in round 1 or 2. He definitely has some affinity with Otago this season, not sure if it's as a player or coach though, etc.

A player has to be registered, but there's no rule stating a player has to be available to play in the ITM Cup. Possibly, Thorn opted for a deal with Otago or Southland to be registered to them, but not play at the provincial level.

A player has to be registered, but there's no rule stating a player has to be available to play in the ITM Cup. Possibly, Thorn opted for a deal with Otago or Southland to be registered to them, but not play at the provincial level.

Makes sense - the old man's probably saving himself for next year's Super Rugby.

das

Ah, so he's playing in Japan now (Fukuoka Sanix Blues)? Guess it's a little easier on the old man there, eh? ;-)

das

No...I think he started the season there and then went to Highlanders...................if you look at previous season he was in Japan after he left Leinster?

No...I think he started the season there and then went to Highlanders...................if you look at previous season he was in Japan after he left Leinster?

Geez...he's like some sort of old rugby slag, or something - he'll go with anyone. ;-)

das

would love to see him turn out for Otago at some point, close the loop

Latest posts