• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Head taping or Scrum Cap

lynam1104

First XV
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Yesterday during my game I found my ears getting all mashed up in the scrums I don't want to get cauliflower ear so what do you guys recommend a scrum cap or head taping? (I play second row BTW)

Thanks for any advice :)

I recommend head taping. It makes you look hard and old school. Scrum caps look a little girly. Plus I find I can't hear a bloody thing in a scrum cap.

I also play second row and use a head guard, when they start pulling it I swap into tap (old skool) but that doesn't happen that often. Sometime sI just play without anything on my head. :)

I don't play with anything but that's just because I never get around to taping. I find scrum cap's limit my hearing and make me overheat.

Try both though, I'm sure someone on your team will be able to lend you a scrum cap for a game or two. It really just comes down to personal preference.

I went without either. Didn't like scrumcaps and found tape ineffective. Its how either feel on the user though

Tried a scrum cap once, didn't like it very much (mainly because it causes me to overheat, plus I can't hear anything). Will try taping when I play 2nd row next (I play prop 95% of the time)

I always used tape, and my ears wound up looking more or less human. Some might say I hit less rucks than I might have though...

I normally wear a scrum-cap, they're fine once you get used to them but they get reaaaaly warm and I sometimes end up just taking it off at half time

I used to wear a scrum hat... and then in beautiful displays of theatrics when the game got down to the hard nitty gritty tight situations I would rip that **** off and be like.

tumblr_m46g6m6lGB1qm39m8o1_400.jpg

But now I think Head taping looks alpha as ****

Just thought I'd update you guys and say taping is great keeps my ears human looking and makes me look like a badass.

Where do you get your tape from? I wear s scrum hat but only becasue i can never find cheap tape that stays on and covers my ears! I used to think it made me over heat but when playing without i realised i just sweat like a b!tch all the time lol

Well I get the medical non sticky tape from a chemist the sports tape I get from elverys or a chemist depending but it's best from elverys, the black tape i get from a hardware store it's all pretty cheap should be able to get it all for around 10-15 pounds.

I used to use headgear but I found I didn't play as well with it (got too hot, which is the worst thing for me when ever I do any exercise). Now I just hope like hell I don't get it.

Tape all the way. Buy some decent adhesive strapping then either black electrical tape or plaster a couple of times round it. I have a marginally cauliflowered right ear but not badly. I hate scrumcaps, they're hot, I cant hear a bloody thing and some joker always thinks it's funny to pull it over your eyes at the bottom of a ruck.

Pah, just cover your ears in Vaseline. I always find people wearing scrum caps look a bit 'soft' so if you need to use something, wear tape.

Tape over scrum caps, scrum caps are a pain in the arse because you can't hear a thing in the scrum and cause you to overheat. I usually don't bother using anything when I play second row however.

Latest posts