• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hec 2005/2006

Originally posted by loratadine@Jan 21 2006, 12:44 AM
stephen jones looked very good behind a beaten side - he looked really lively and always seemed to be looking for work - good omens for wales.
Definitively better than all his nationals playing for Ospreys. I didn't expect this side te be so much dominated.

Yeah but Stade Français were playing for their European survival so it's hardly surprising they put in such a dominant display, that and the fact that the Ospreys team this season is nowhere near as good as the team that won the Celtic League, yes they've been ravaged by injuries and suspensions but in both games with Leicester it was there for the winning and they couldn't step up to the plate.

the scarlets are the team this year in wales - its a pity the blues was given the group theyve got as ifit was the scarlets they would have qualified by now

match over now

finnished 42-49 to tolouse

really entertaining game with the welsh boys looking deadly - dwayne peel and m.j watkins had really good games

All over in Pool 4 as well with Biarritx heading the way after their 43-13 win over Saracens. Biarritz have also managed to secure a home quarter final as well, only Bath, Sale/Munster and Toulouse can finish ahead of them and their try difference is superiour to Leicester's.

Jesus they left it late to top the Pool but have topped the pool, not sure if it'll be enough to get the home draw in the quarter finals, depends on the Bath Leinster result and the Perpignan Treviso match. They could still regret not finishing off the Dragons in those 2 pool games.

If Leinster win and Perpignan fail to win by 7 clear tries against Calvisano Munster will have a home draw, so it's a long shot at the moment, most likely fixture is away to Leicester or a repeat of last year's game in San Sebastien against Biarritz.

Was one hell of a performance from Munster today... fair enough Sale knew they had qualified, but the were made to look distinctly ordinary today by a very mobile (as mobile as Bull Hayes gets!) Munster pack

O'gara had a good game too, bar some minor mishaps towards the end of the 2nd half with a few scuffed kicks...

Hopefully these type of performances from the Irish provinces (pending Leinster tomorrow) will give some confidence back to the Ireland squad for the 6N - the type of confidence that was there for the triple crown season

Originally posted by raziel_eire@Jan 21 2006, 11:10 PM
Hopefully these type of performances from the Irish provinces (pending Leinster tomorrow) will give some confidence back to the Ireland squad for the 6N - the type of confidence that was there for the triple crown season
I wouldn't hold out too much hope. Eddie is remarkably adept at sucking the confidence out of these guys and limiting their play.

very true - everyone knows the irish guys have talent in abundance but eddie doesnt allow them the freedom to express themselves.

Leinster were superb today for about 60 mins and BOD was awesome. When the performance of Munster yesterday and Leinster today are considered alongside the good performances of Ulster at times this season I think that Ireland could do really really well this year in the 6N. Good luck.

i dont - they would if they had a good manager - but they play a totally different gameplan in the national side.

Screw the national team today this weekend is all about the provinces, excellent performances and BOD back to his best as well, Munster getting the home quarter final, Leinster setting up a mouthwatering tie with Toulouse, can't wait for that one.

Right so down to the quarter finals now, to be played the weekend after the 6 Nations finishes up, so off on hiatus for a while.

Stade Toulousain v Leinster
Biarritz Olympique v Sale Sharks
Leicester Tigers v Bath
Munster v Perpignan

Some interesting stats from the qualified teams and their seedings

Stade Toulousain - 25 points, 22 tries
Biarritz Olympique - 24 points, 24 tries
Leicester Tigers - 24 points, 19 tries
Munster - 23 points, 22 tries
Perpignan - 23 points, 20 tries
Bath - 23 points, 18 tries
Sale - 23 points, 17 tries
Leinster - 22 points, 28 tries

Shows really how close the top teams really are, only 3 points separating Toulouse and Leinster, definitely the tie of the round that one, should be a cracking encounter, suppose a lot will depend on how the players survive the 6 Nations, will be a massive match for Trev coming up against his old team.

Munster will not play their quarter final in Thomond Park, instead they'll play in Lansdowne Rd, apparently an agreement was made pre-season that if any Irish province qualify for the knockout stages of the HEC with home draws then their matches would be played at Lansdowne.

I know people will think Munster are forfeiting their advantage, but it makes financial sense, and I don't care what people say Wasps would have beaten Munster in that semi-final even if it was played in Thomond Park. Plus there's the fact that Munster got over their Lansdowne hoodoo last year, wasn't much of one anyway losing to Leinster in the CL final of 2001 and Wasps in the SF of the HEC 2004, when they beat Leinster and Llanelli in the SF and Final of the Celtic Cup.

When it comes to the HEC Munster won't get complacent, they'll know what Perpignan are capable, they know they have a decent away record in the knockout stages, so they'll take the task that bit more seriously.

Semi Final draw was made in Cardiff with the winners of Biarritz and Sale facing Leicester or Bath

In the other half a home draw will be the reward for the victor between Stade Toulousain and Leinster with Munster or Perpignan awaiting them.

I'd predict a S-F line-up of...

Leicester - Sale
Toulouse - Munster
Think the hardest match to call is Biarritz against Sale, I'm just hoping for an English side to make the final.

Latest posts