TRF Legend
Heineken%20Cup.png

Ospreys.png
Versus%20H-Cup.png
Toulouse%20alternate.png

Liberty Stadium - 15/12/2012 - 13:35

Teams are:

Ospreys:
15 Richard Fussell, 14 Ross Jones, 13 Andrew Bishop, 12 Ashley Beck, 11 Eli Walker, 10 Dan Biggar, 9 Kahn Fotuali'i (c), 8 Joe Bearman, 7 Justin Tipuric, 6 Ryan Jones, 5 James King, 4 Ian Gough, 3 Campbell Johnstone, 2 Richard Hibbard, 1 Ryan Bevington.
Replacements: 16 Scott Baldwin, 17 Duncan Jones, 18 Adam Jones, 19 Lloyd Peers, 20 George Stowers, 21 Rhys Webb, 22 Matthew Morgan, 23 Tom Isaacs.

Toulouse:
15 Maxime Médard, 14 Vincent Clerc, 13 Yann David, 12 Gael Fickou, 11 Yoann Huget, 10 Jean-Marc Doussain, 9 Luke Burgess, 8 Louis Picamoles, 7 Thierry Dusautoir (c), 6 Jean Bouilhou, 5 Patricio Albacete, 4 Yoann Maestri, 3 Cencus Johnston, 2 Gary Botha, 1 Vasil Kakovin.
Replacements: 16 Jean-Baptiste Poux, 17 Yohan Montes, 18 Roman Millo-Chluski, 19 Yannick Nyanga, 20 Gregory Lamboley, 21 Sébastian Bézy, 22 Yannick Jauzion, 23 Christopher Tolofua.

http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,9989_8331139,00.html

I think Ospreys may stand a chance especially with McAllister out as I dont believe that Doussain is that reliable a kicker.

Last edited:
The big man returns! That Ospreys backline looks essentially first choice.

I think Ospreys may stand a chance especially with McAllister out as I dont believe that Doussain is that reliable a kicker.

McCallister is now like Donald....an AB who was not wanted there and cannnot hack it in the NH! To imply he is consistent by saying that Doussain is less so is, I have to say, stretching it a bit and also Doussain does not do the silly things that McCallister/Donald does!!

Doussain is the future.....McCallister the past and I for one do not expect to see him there or, at the very least No 1 selction at 10 next season......Toulouse are known to be in the market for a new 10 and, as said before, rumour has it they are after our very own Barraque who had to play 12 to Doussain's 10 at the Under 20 level only two years ago..................Toulouse to win this one again!

McCallister is now like Donald....an AB who was not wanted there and cannnot hack it in the NH! To imply he is consistent by saying that Doussain is less so is, I have to say, stretching it a bit and also Doussain does not do the silly things that McCallister/Donald does!!

Doussain is the future.....McCallister the past and I for one do not expect to see him there or, at the very least No 1 selction at 10 next season......Toulouse are known to be in the market for a new 10 and, as said before, rumour has it they are after our very own Barraque who had to play 12 to Doussain's 10 at the Under 20 level only two years ago..................Toulouse to win this one again!

No, McAlister is much better than Donald and has done well at Toulouse actually. I think most Sale fans would say he did well there as well, so he can certainly "hack it" in the NH, and is a quality player, if he wasn't then Toulouse wouldn't be selecting him.

McAlister is probably the best playmaking fly half in the Top 14, and was named as one of the top signings by Midi Olympique last season. His only issue is some inconsistent goal kicking, but his creativity arguably cancels this out he is also a rock in defence, if Toulouse had Elissalde playing still that would be a perfect combination with McAlister as Elissalde could goal kick. He is still a better goal kicker than Doussain though, who isn't the best goal kicker at all.

Lionel Beauxis is the worst fly half at Toulouse, and from a neutrals perspective I'm glad he's injured as with him in their side all their matches are guaranteed to be a bore to watch, wish they hadn't signed him.

No idea why Toulouse would want Barraque, he can't even knock Peyrelongue out the Biarritz side which doesn't say much for his abilities. I assume Barraque would just be bench fodder at best at Toulouse.

Lionel Beauxis is the worst fly half at Toulouse, and from a neutrals perspective I'm glad he's injured as with him in their side all their matches are guaranteed to be a bore to watch, wish they hadn't signed him.

No idea why Toulouse would want Barraque, he can't even knock Peyrelongue out the Biarritz side which doesn't say much for his abilities. I assume Barraque would just be bench fodder at best at Toulouse.

Agree to disagree about McCallister as he is THIS season not last season or before, especially at Sale where he was OK.

Agree about Beauxis and am happy that he did not make it here as was rumoured before his move to ST, being a close friend of Marconnet.

Barraque.....I just do not know what he is capable of! He was very good alongside Dussain and has shown little bits in the first team. However, he has been in and out of the team with no logic to the decision. I watched the inter action between him and Issacs when they warmed up at Brive and thought then that there was little communication between them. Furthermore, he has not played consistently with Yach to bring him into the game, I do not believe Traille has helped him on the field and has had **** backline to have work with. I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt and see him play under different management......whether that should be ST I am not sure but he is a better player than we have seen from him and, certainly, better than Perylongue......who's continued retention is only part of the Biarritz problem!

The IRB need to look at going off their feet at the breakdown and really be more clear in what they tell the officials. Clancy is inconsistent leaving some go and penalising others.

Agree and he is not the only one! Mind you he was going to give a penalty to ospreys at a breakdown for over the top but change his mind as they went with the ball and knocked on almost immediately!!

Ospreys playing clever rugby, whilst getting beat in the scrums, they are pounding the back three of ST who have not made a clean catch between them! If they can continue as they are then they are in with a good chance expecially now with Albacete gone for 10!

The IRB need to look at going off their feet at the breakdown and really be more clear in what they tell the officials. Clancy is inconsistent leaving some go and penalising others.

With seemingly the best players around, or certainly the "key" players in the game at the moment being back rowers the ruck are is fast becoming the most difficult aspect of the game to ref. At every breakdown it seems there could be 3 or 4 players penalised from both sides.

You are right though, I've seen a few instances not just today but this season of where this "sealing off" rule could be applied and it hasnt. It's a naturally chaotic part of the game and its being reffed chaotically.

On the game front, its been good so far from the Ospreys, matching them physically. Not looking like scoring tries though and this could bite them an hour or so into the game.

With seemingly the best players around, or certainly the "key" players in the game at the moment being back rowers the ruck are is fast becoming the most difficult aspect of the game to ref. At every breakdown it seems there could be 3 or 4 players penalised from both sides.

You are right though, I've seen a few instances not just today but this season of where this "sealing off" rule could be applied and it hasnt. It's a naturally chaotic part of the game and its being reffed chaotically.

On the game front, its been good so far from the Ospreys, matching them physically. Not looking like scoring tries though and this could bite them an hour or so into the game.

Not sure what can be done about it really. With a knock on or offside, it is relatively straightforward but at breakdowns and, indeed, scrums there are inevitably so many offences being committed at once that the game would never have any rythm if everyone was penalised.

I suppose the only way is for the refs to indicate clearly what they want, to be consistent and to use their yellow cards much quicker when there is persistent offences.

Being old fashioned, I would not mind goimg back to allowing the scrums to fold in and do away with the hit and allow a Beaumontesq type breakdown where they grapple for it on the floor......totally agaiinst the wishes of those who like only touch or running rugby and the elimination of the forwards!!

Last edited:
The players need to shoulder the blame aswell, the massive competitiveness they show, whilst great to watch is putting ref's in a situation where they can't win. Whoever they do penalise the other team will feel aggrieved. I agree with the card point, too many refs give sides too many "final warnings"

Last edited:
Just noticed this is last weeks match thread.

The players need to shoulder the blame aswell, the massive competitiveness they show, whilst great to watch is putting ref's in a situation where they can't win. Whoever they do penalise the other team will feel aggrieved. I agree with the card point, too many refs give sides too many "final warnings"

Oh really?

Jones about to come on rather early......looks like time for Johnstone to be off to the pub!! Many think he went to Wales to find some Brains!!

Brains? In Swansea?

*that joke brought to you by the Turks

Yelllow card for catching the guy on the shoulder? Incidentally, there was no card for that Osprey jerk who came out from the dug out to stop the quick throw in whereas, for exactly the same offence, it was red at Bath last month!!

Good deserved try but yellow contributory?

Been mightly impressed by Walker not just today but the last few weeks. Exciting runner. And that was a top try that the Ospreys fully deserved Although what a pathetic attempt at a tackle from Huget

Latest posts