• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Champions Cup 22/23 - Rd 4

There's the bracket. Happy that we can't meet a South African side until the semi final provided we make it that far. Most likely route to winning the thing is Ulster > Tigers > Toulouse > La Rochelle which is almost identical to last year only swapping Ulster for Connacht.

We're 11/10 with the bookies which is insane given the teams left in the comp. Favourites is fair given we won't play outside of Dublin but near evens against the field is horrendous value.

So Harlequins for us. Looks a pretty strong outfit, especially beating a loaded Sharks side by 10. But I'll back us at home despite the amount of travelling our boys are putting in but somewhere I expect its going to catch us up.
It's a nice one for us to get. I similarly think it should be competitive but think we should be able to get the edge in that one. Then I think we could drop out fairly easily in our following fixtures. Either Montpellier away or Montpellier away will be tough.

Quite happy with the win against Clermont, the first half was pretty tight and their defense held up well, but then floodgates opened with that yellow card, and I don't think we would have gotten up to a BP without it.

There's the bracket. Happy that we can't meet a South African side until the semi final provided we make it that far. Most likely route to winning the thing is Ulster > Tigers > Toulouse > La Rochelle which is almost identical to last year only swapping Ulster for Connacht.

We're 11/10 with the bookies which is insane given the teams left in the comp. Favourites is fair given we won't play outside of Dublin but near evens against the field is horrendous value.

Will you stop. More like 4 friendlies for ye. No requirement to even put out a fully loaded team. Ireland lads can be used sparingly with RWC in mind.

Saracens away is a bit easy. Was hoping for a tougher test but will have to wait until the QTR finals.
Chance for the Ospreys to avenge getting knocked out by Saracens in the 1/4 final stage way back in '08 maybe? Before Saracens were very good too. I remember they played them twice in a very short space of time, one in the EDf where Ospreys smashed them by 60, everyone thought the HC was going to be another walk in the park and Oapreys got their pants pulled down despite having a side full of stars (galacticos as WOL like to refer to that squad as).

Does rugby need to do something about the pretty blatant partisanship of French TV directors withholding footage that would go against France? I can't think of any other nation in the world that does it as blatantly as them and it's actually affecting reffing on the pitch.
Yes, it's a outrageous, how it's allowed to go on is beyond me.

The clubs and the French rugby team have suffered flagrant injustice from Anglo-Saxon referees.
I find it very vicious to put an Irish referee when a French team faces an English team or an English referee when a French team faces an Irish team.
2008 Heineken Cup Final referee: Nigel Owens (Wales) and many other finals unfairly stolen from French clubs by Irish, English and Welsh referees.

Ah yes the Anglo Saxon country of Ireland.

Also the 2008 final??? What a weird game to use, did anything particularly controversial even happen then?

I can think of a more recent match involving Munster and Toulouse where the tv operator was sure to avoid showing any replays though....

Also am I right in thinking the last Irish ref for a Heineken cup final was Rolland in 2014 for the two French teams?

Last edited:
The clubs and the French rugby team have suffered flagrant injustice from Anglo-Saxon referees.
I find it very vicious to put an Irish referee when a French team faces an English team or an English referee when a French team faces an Irish team.
2008 Heineken Cup Final referee: Nigel Owens (Wales) and many other finals unfairly stolen from French clubs by Irish, English and Welsh referees.
You think that the Welsh, Scottish or Irish would assist England against France...?

It's "anyone but England" not "Anyone but France".

Ah yes the Anglo Saxon country of Ireland.

Also the 2008 final??? What a weird game to use, did anything particularly controversial even happen then?

I can think of a more recent match involving Munster and Toulouse where the tv operator was sure to avoid showing any replays though....

Also am I right in thinking the last Irish ref for a Heineken cup final was Rolland in 2014 for the two French teams?

The last 2 finals for Munster vs French teams. In 2006 Biarritz we got a decision gainst us where Biarritz try from Bobo had his foot on line before. And 2008 we had few calls go against us. In 2002 Joel Jutge made a huge error too.

Latest posts