• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Champions Cup 22/23 - Round of 16

Playing in nearly 30 degree heat feels a bit weird for European Rugby.

I know heat training can help but going from 10 degrees in Ireland to 30 degrees in South Africa must be tough.
I know it's not a new debate, but I find this whole competition a tad forced.

I have a BT Sport subscription for the Prem and the cricket, so I saw a little of the last game while eating my lunch, but I'm not honestly interested in who wins. Certainly would never spend any money specifically on watching this on TV or going to a game.

I thought this Quins vs. Stormers game would be entertaining and so far so good!

I think the South African clubs have added loads to European rugby.
In what way?

To me it just doesn't feel like the HEC anymore - feels more like that weird international competition they cobbled together at the end of the COVID lockdowns (autumn nations cup?).

Sure it's got the best teams there but it doesn't mean anything anymore,
I still watch because it's entertaining but it doesn't feel like there's anything on the line

Ah they're very frustrating. They produce their fair share of talent, not on the same level as Leinster but better than Ulster and Connacht, and never really make it count.

Sharks definitely came to play and they're a team I'm excited about / wary of in the URC when they make it work (reckon the Heineken Cup is a bit of a steeper learning curve but we'll see). But I reckon today's quality performance needs to be closer to their average than their peak for them to be the powerhouse they're capable of being.

I remember when they were the dominant Irish team.

In what way?

To me it just doesn't feel like the HEC anymore - feels more like that weird international competition they cobbled together at the end of the COVID lockdowns (autumn nations cup?).

Sure it's got the best teams there but it doesn't mean anything anymore,
I still watch because it's entertaining but it doesn't feel like there's anything on the line
New style of rugby, new venues, more quality, more star players.

The tournament shot itself in the foot when it became the Champions Cup, shot itself in the head when it changed to the current format. Having new, strong and exciting teams is literally the only positive administrative choice it has made in the last few years.

Having new, strong and exciting teams is literally the only positive administrative choice it has made in the last few months.
It's harming the European clubs though, the EPCR don't fully fund the travel and accommodation for SA trips, the club's have to do it themselves,
Rob Baxter said having a South African side in Exeter's pool meant they'll lose money playing in Europe this season

It's harming the European clubs though, the EPCR don't fully fund the travel and accommodation for SA trips, the club's have to do it themselves,
Rob Baxter said having a South African side in Exeter's pool meant they'll lose money playing in Europe this season
It has made the URC far better and the non-Welsh clubs are delighted. There's going to be teething problems as there was with the URC but there's no reason that it won't work when they're offering a better product than before.

"Massive hit from the stormers and Quins couldn't absorb the pressure as it came through"

I'm a scrum noob but I'm fairly sure you're not supposed to push before the balls in so how does that work?

It has made the URC far better and the non-Welsh clubs are delighted. There's going to be teething problems as there was with the URC but there's no reason that it won't work when they're offering a better product than before.
I don't share your optimism, but I can see what you're saying

I think we're as likely to see the French and English clubs pull out of Europe as we are to see this be a new golden age of European Comp though
Have to wait and see if moving back to the traditional pool setup sees an uptick

We were lucky to get away with no points scored against us in the last ten. Fourie has been immense as per usual.

On the other end of the conversation above. There is definitely going to be a lot more eyes on this from SA, as we generally didn't care about it/didn't even get all the tv rights/show all games. There will at least be more cash coming in from that, especially as it becomes more of the usual in SA.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the switch over to the URC and the development of new rivalries (plus being jaded by the terrible SR format). Champions Cup definitely needs to sort out its awful group stage, but from this point on there aren't really easy games.

On the flights, yea they are way more expensive than they have been in the past which is going to be nailing every one, but hopefully this is short term macro economic factors that ease up in the future. For reference, an SA economy direct return used to be like 400-450 pounds, now it's more like 700-800.

The sooner the Stormers clear out this terrible football pitch for rugby grass now that they have a full time lease, the better. This pitch has sucked for two years.

Mad finish,

Surprised they didn't formally check the touchline, though - very very close

Latest posts