• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Champions Cup - Rd 1

What is Clermont's team like this season? Not actually too sure on many of their squad.. I see they're 7th in the Top 14.

I'm hoping Duane Vermeulen will be able to make his debut. Our backrow has been doing well but inexperienced, we need him. Apparently he has been integrated into the squad this week after getting COVID with the Barbarians.

If Vermeulen is starting and Henderson is back, I'm quietly confident. We've had some good wins over Clermont and been desperately unlucky at times away.

I'll never not back AB. Wouldn't be disappointed with Larmour either, I think he's been very strong this season.
I would be happy with either, but Leinster have a track record of always picking Larmour so it'll likely be him. I don't think he's been noticeably poor or that Adam Byrne has been especially brilliant.

Adam Byrne could be devastating if Bath are as much of a mess as they've been hyped up to be (their posters could enlighten us on this one), not saying he's a flat track bully because he isn't but he can be very good in that context.

Leinster .......... What an awful backrow set of choices they have. Oh I wish we had a team of Eric Millers :D

Really is an embarrassment of riches though. Think like Penny, Ruddock, Doris, Conan, Leavy, VDF, Deegan off top of my sleepy head. Yes never a case when all are fit but like 1 or 2 of them literally are bag holders in depth chart. It is ridiculous.
Not saying any should move either as probably that is reason standards are high as everyone pushing and well it doesn't always worl out moving but hard to see them all staying there.

So It Begins Helms Deep GIF

Meanwhile in Cardiff, I've been at the gym this morning expecting a call up...

It'll be a wild squad mix of some Wales players, academy players and semi-pro players. I'll be interested in what squad Toulouse decide to field. Shame really as this would have likely been the game of the season for us given the history of the fixture.

You do get feeling an awful precedent may be set christmas period could cause havoc for outbreaks in January games

I think that 5 points and a 28-0 concession for not being able to field a team, even though you did everything right by all accounts is deeply unfair, but I don't really have a solution. Only potential solution I could think of is maybe allowing any loan players to remain non cup tied? Tournament will probably turn farcical pretty quickly again. Pray we can field a team.

Last edited:
I think that 5 points and a 28-0 concession for not being able to field a team, even though you did everything right by all accounts is deeply unfair, but I don't really have a solution. Only potential solution I could think of is maybe allowing any loan players to remain non cup tied? Tournament will probably turn farcical pretty quickly again. Pray we can field a team.
Oh we are fielding

I'm gonna head to Swansea and Clermont and start coughing at people,

Sale to make the playoffs with one LBP again!

Munster have confirmed they have positive cases in the group who returned to Irelabd and are currently isolating.

If Cardiff stay within even fifteen points of Toulouse with that squad then that should be considered a good result. And Scarlets losing 28-0 to Bristol automatically is probably less severe than what they could have managed had they just about been able to field a side, even taking into account Bristol's own poor form this season.

Munster: Patrick Campbell; Andrew Conway, Chris Farrell, Damian de Allende, Keith Earls; Joey Carbery, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Scott Buckley, James French; Eoin O'Connor, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O'Mahony (C), John Hodnett, Daniel Okeke.

Replacements: Declan Moore, Mark Donnelly, Roman Salanoa, John Forde, Conor Moloney, Ethan Coughlan, Tony Butler, Jonathan Wren.

In some crazy way this is a decent team.

Like our pack

12.12.21_Ospreys_Away_HCC_TeamNews_Newsletter-1-819x1024.jpg

Like that a lot,
Good to see Yarde and Taylor back - we were looking very threadbare at hooker and in the back 3

Latest posts