• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Champions Cup - The Final

There's a softness in Irish rugby. I said I was worried about going to France, thought we'd win but I'm in no way surprised.

We pick our moments and it's usually when the opposition don't expect us. Favourites tag and away from home we buckle, and that applies to all 4 provinces and the international team.

As a neutral enjoyed the match.
My takes.
Leinster out the blocks bar a pen or 2 couldn't get the usual cushion.
La Rochelle worked hard to get back in by 1/2 time Leinster must have known they had to up the game.
Understand the need to keep knocking 3 points but maybe ultimate demise in not turning screw with going for corner on at least a couple of occasions.
Some big players didn't show up today.
Sexton , Henshaw, Ryan and JVDF for me were anonymous for most of game.
Shout to JGP if Leinster had won would have been MOM.
Worthy winners La Rochelle scoring 3 v 0 only discipline made it harder work.
Personally thought it would be a walk in the park for Leinster, but on the showing maybe they did as well.

Says a lot that the toughest man in the history of Irish rugby and a proven leader of men; was born in San Diego.

Someone needs to tell Sexton that the game has moved on from "taking the 3 points" and we should win

Team now score more points and quicker than 5 years ago

Am I happy that everyone's apparent favourite team lost or that a team coached by Ireland's answer to Will Carling won?

Not sure

I thought Henshaw and VDF were our guys who actually showed to be honest. Johnny did nothing too bad but he relies on guys being accurate around him and when they weren't today he couldn't get them focused.

Really feels like a game we lost, rather than one we got beaten in as the cliche goes. Didn't turn up.

At least a bunch of fans whose teams could not beat us in a weak of Sundays (the entire nation of Argentina included) are enjoying it, have fun guys.

Ruddy hell, I feel dumb. I know French teams have powerful packs with their penchant for Georgians, but that was just like watching Ireland up against an English, French or Bok pack. They were huge. I'd never pick Ireland in those scenarios if the other side is in form. A humungous pack can neutralise Irish ferocity at the breakdown and there isn't really much of a plan B. I'd still have expected a Leinster win though in a tight affair because the La Rochelle backs were good on paper but not outstanding. Stadium made the wind a complete non-factor too which didn't favour the Irish.

Other than Rhule's effort there wasn't a whole lot in this for me, two teams playing extremely conservative rugby in general, which in fairness is a tendency in a final. Ross Byrne will likely need to earn the right to another big match. 2 howlers and a half howler in the space of five minutes from coming on got La Rochelle's tails right up.

As an aside, lovely refereeing from Barnes. Quick, decisive, accurate and bilingual.

I thought Henshaw and VDF were our guys who actually showed to be honest. Johnny did nothing too bad but he relies on guys being accurate around him and when they weren't today he couldn't get them focused.

Really feels like a game we lost, rather than one we got beaten in as the cliche goes. Didn't turn up.

At least a bunch of fans whose teams could not beat us in a weak of Sundays (the entire nation of Argentina included) are enjoying it, have fun guys.
Watched extended highlights and few glaring things.

- Sexton needed to rely on allowing guys outside him make it happen instead of him and he didn't. He tried to force it and the body just wasn't able. It will be huge next 12 months.
- Conan and Doris were non existent today. Ruddock at least made big impression but 2 lads went AWOL today VDF was superb.
- Sheehan played well but darts were shaky.
- Furlong and Porter went off and Leinster pack lost mojo.

No strong feelings but somewhat conflicted. On the one hand Leinster is a URC side vs a French team so have my support but on the other LR were the underdog and though I'd prefer to see him in a Stormers shirt I am happy for Leyds. Good that he will be remembered for more than that one pass and getting his hair pulled by Izzy Folau.

I really don't know who to put yesterday on, defensively our tactics were good, force their ordinary backs to make something happen while playing very narrow and they only managed to break us once.

With the ball we put pressure on and in the first half we were turning it into points at every opportunity, so something was going right but I feel as if we didn't play to our strengths. Then they just starved us of the ball. Doris, Conan, Ryan, Moloney and Porter were all fairly anonymous and that was the game.

I'm inclined to say the players didn't turn up and were inaccurate but I don't think we approached this game well at all.

Mostly sickened by our fans, multiple neutrals said that they couldn't believe how quiet they were, fans made the trio to the south of France to make less noise than I would watching in my living room. A bunch of Toulouse fans supporting Leinster near me were making fun of the silent brigade sitting a block over. It was embarrassing.

Not taking this loss well at all, in France until tomorrow evening and I honestly just want to go home.

I really don't know who to put yesterday on, defensively our tactics were good, force their ordinary backs to make something happen while playing very narrow and they only managed to break us once.

With the ball we put pressure on and in the first half we were turning it into points at every opportunity, so something was going right but I feel as if we didn't play to our strengths. Then they just starved us of the ball. Doris, Conan, Ryan, Moloney and Porter were all fairly anonymous and that was the game.

I'm inclined to say the players didn't turn up and were inaccurate but I don't think we approached this game well at all.

Mostly sickened by our fans, multiple neutrals said that they couldn't believe how quiet they were, fans made the trio to the south of France to make less noise than I would watching in my living room. A bunch of Toulouse fans supporting Leinster near me were making fun of the silent brigade sitting a block over. It was embarrassing.

Not taking this loss well at all, in France until tomorrow evening and I honestly just want to go home.
Be a man get out knock back a few Heinos, meet some French lass or lad if that your menu and make it a trip for winners lol

From a position of complete ignorance I think there have been a bunch of plonkers like myself that felt if Leinster can boss Toulouse they can boss La Rochelle. Just because they play in the same league doesn't mean they have the same personnel and tactics.

La Rochelle focussed on forward muscle rather than Toulouse's finesse and had the pack to execute that. Perhaps just a tougher matchup for Leinster, played in France.

To be young, free and fluent in French on a summer's day and miserable. Gotta love sports.

Latest posts