• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup 2022/23: Quarter Finals

Well, that was the usual combination of a very good French side, a useless referee and biased replays from the French broadcaster. I remember why I don't make a point of watching European games.

How was that a turnover at the end? It was playing the 9. Brace just is a bang awful ref

I actually fancy our chances against La Rochelle as underdogs but I just don't see a way around the producers, impenetrable bias.

Well that was incredibly frustrating. Always thought it would be a tough uphill battle without the power of McFarland and (as of last week) Christie, but to then loose BV and it did look like we had not much heft. Sloppy passes and too many moments where we were isolated really did seal out fate.

Credit to the French, they made perhaps three (?) quality try saving tries that could have really led to a different outcome.

The ref wasn't great, but far more important with the RWC in France is independence of the video feeds. It isn't a good look when there seems to be minutes of replays and countless angles that would favour a French side and then literally nothing else for a non-French opponent.

As for who is going to win the tournament, it will be a toss up between Toulouse and Leinster. They both have too much quality and depth.

I actually fancy our chances against La Rochelle as underdogs but I just don't see a way around the producers, impenetrable bias.
Im not sure as if there is one criticism id put on Cbiefs this season its getting turned over at the breakdown and La Rochelle were great today in that respect. If we cant keep possession and play on our terms then we're screwed.

WR really needs to set some standards for home game directors, or even make it independent. The extent to which French TV directors take the **** to the extent they are influencing the game is shambolic. I can accept home teams continuing to have home directors but there should be a review of the footage shown and how frequently the spend time looking at incidents for the home team vs away team, particularly in cases of foul play.

How was that a turnover at the end? It was playing the 9. Brace just is a bang awful ref
Brace is terrible. Honestly I don't get why the URC aren't pushing forward some of their strong performing women referees into more frequently refereeing our games/Champions Cup. I've not seen any complaints about Hollie Davidson and Aimee Barrett-Theron (who was SA ref of the year). Completely bizarre that we continue to have refs in the league like Brace who everyone considers poor, but don't feature these referees more.

WR really needs to set some standards for home game directors, or even make it independent. The extent to which French TV directors take the **** to the extent they are influencing the game is shambolic. I can accept home teams continuing to have home directors but there should be a review of the footage shown and how frequently the spend time looking at incidents for the home team vs away team, particularly in cases of foul play.

Or at least do the football thing and don't allow replays in the stadium. That way you remove any potential influence from the tv directors and it only gets flagged if the TMO picks it up.

Im not sure as if there is one criticism id put on Cbiefs this season its getting turned over at the breakdown and La Rochelle were great today in that respect. If we cant keep possession and play on our terms then we're screwed.

Attachments

• 51A44CC2-6A4A-4EB0-AE30-5C69A2E3CC98.png
    51A44CC2-6A4A-4EB0-AE30-5C69A2E3CC98.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
Or at least do the football thing and don't allow replays in the stadium. That way you remove any potential influence from the tv directors and it only gets flagged if the TMO picks it up.
Or simply don't allow any of the refs to look at the big screen unless the tmo has deliberately put something on it

Something needs to be done before the world cup

A few years ago I made my flair la Rochelle cause I thought their terrorist rugby with bougarait running around gouging people's eyes was hilarious. Now they are two wins away from back to back Heinekens.

Be careful, La Rochelle has enough experience to lift the ***le in 2023.

On the other hand, if the technical staff of Leinster does not take it into his head to put the players of Stade Toulousain on the ground, the French club will obtain the qualification.

Leinster's combination game won't work against Stade Toulousain because they have a similar game of combination and speed.

To beat this Toulouse stadium, you have to be frontal. This year, they are too strong technically.

The Durban Sharks understood how to neutralize Stade Toulousain but unfortunately they lost Eben Etzebeth before the game, I think he would have tipped the scales on the side of the Sharks.

This Stade Toulousain has reached its peak. Leinster are warned.

In the 2020 champion cup, in a hotly contested match, the English from Exeter leads 14-11 at half-time after scoring two converted tries. On returning from the locker room, the English from Exeter were very frontal and they brought all the players from the Toulouse stadium back to the ground. 28-18 at the end.

Well that was incredibly frustrating. Always thought it would be a tough uphill battle without the power of McFarland and (as of last week) Christie, but to then loose BV and it did look like we had not much heft. Sloppy passes and too many moments where we were isolated really did seal out fate.

Credit to the French, they made perhaps three (?) quality try saving tries that could have really led to a different outcome.

The ref wasn't great, but far more important with the RWC in France is independence of the video feeds. It isn't a good look when there seems to be minutes of replays and countless angles that would favour a French side and then literally nothing else for a non-French opponent.

As for who is going to win the tournament, it will be a toss up between Toulouse and Leinster. They both have too much quality and depth.
The TV companies have no control over the footage available to the TMO. The TMO has access to all angles available.

The TV companies have no control over the footage available to the TMO. The TMO has access to all angles available.
No quite, the TMO can request angles, but the TV director is still in control. It's especially apparent with replays where the director will show a missed penalty by the opposition over and over, but then hide a missed penalty for the home team.

No quite, the TMO can request angles, but the TV director is still in control. It's especially apparent with replays where the director will show a missed penalty by the opposition over and over, but then hide a missed penalty for the home team.

You think that'd be the obvious solution - the TMO has their own (independent) director that has access to buffered copies of all the camera feeds.

So the host broadcaster has their own director doing their thing and the TMO process is completely decoupled from that.

I'm almost certain that's what happens in the premiership/with BT Sport, but in Europe each country is responsible for providing its own feed so presumably the French directors give the TMO what they deem relevant rather than all the feeds all the time

Be careful, La Rochelle has enough experience to lift the ***le in 2023.

On the other hand, if the technical staff of Leinster does not take it into his head to put the players of Stade Toulousain on the ground, the French club will obtain the qualification.

Leinster's combination game won't work against Stade Toulousain because they have a similar game of combination and speed.

To beat this Toulouse stadium, you have to be frontal. This year, they are too strong technically.

The Durban Sharks understood how to neutralize Stade Toulousain but unfortunately they lost Eben Etzebeth before the game, I think he would have tipped the scales on the side of the Sharks.

This Stade Toulousain has reached its peak. Leinster are warned.

In the 2020 champion cup, in a hotly contested match, the English from Exeter leads 14-11 at half-time after scoring two converted tries. On returning from the locker room, the English from Exeter were very frontal and they brought all the players from the Toulouse stadium back to the ground. 28-18 at the end.
Why do Leinster have to figure out how to beat Toulouse and not the other way around? The recent head to head record is heavily in Leinster's favour.

Latest posts