• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup 2022/23: Quarter Finals

Why do Leinster have to figure out how to beat Toulouse and not the other way around? The recent head to head record is heavily in Leinster's favour.
Toulouse have won a cup since Covid and nothing that happened before Covid matters.

Why do Leinster have to figure out how to beat Toulouse and not the other way around? The recent head to head record is heavily in Leinster's favour.
Because Toulouse's 2023 game system will easily beat Leinster in their own stadium.

If you had told me about the Toulouse stadium for the 2019 or 2020 season, I would agree with you, but here we are talking about an Antoine Dupont version of the Toulouse stadium and you have to read the statements of Jake White (Bulls) and Sean Everit (Sharks), to defeat the Toulouse stadium you have to put them on the ground.

Stade Toulousain was put in difficulty by the Sharks for 60 minutes by a frontal game and they brought them back to the ground, then the South Africans collapsed mentally. In my opinion, Jake White transmitted the message to the Sharks, unfortunately they only lasted 60 minutes.

If Leinster play their combination game, they will lose. On the other hand, if he plays a frontal game, Toulouse will take a slap.

Because Toulouse's 2023 game system will easily beat Leinster in their own stadium.

If you had told me about the Toulouse stadium for the 2019 or 2020 season, I would agree with you, but here we are talking about an Antoine Dupont version of the Toulouse stadium and you have to read the statements of Jake White (Bulls) and Sean Everit (Sharks), to defeat the Toulouse stadium you have to put them on the ground.

Stade Toulousain was put in difficulty by the Sharks for 60 minutes by a frontal game and they brought them back to the ground, then the South Africans collapsed mentally. In my opinion, Jake White transmitted the message to the Sharks, unfortunately they only lasted 60 minutes.

If Leinster play their combination game, they will lose. On the other hand, if he plays a frontal game, Toulouse will take a slap.

Leinster's game did OK 12 months ago... Leinster are down Sexton for this game and VdF and Lowe could easily be out too, I make Toulouse slight favourites because of that.

All evidence over the past few seasons suggests that Leinster's opposition needs to overpower them to stop Leinster playing their game and not the other way around. La Rochelle and the Bulls are the only two teams to manage it in the last two seasons.

Leinster's game did OK 12 months ago... Leinster are down Sexton for this game and VdF and Lowe could easily be out too, I make Toulouse slight favourites because of that.

All evidence over the past few seasons suggests that Leinster's opposition needs to overpower them to stop Leinster playing their game and not the other way around. La Rochelle and the Bulls are the only two teams to manage it in the last two seasons.

We are in 2023.

The Toulousain stadium today is very different, more experience, better background, holders at the peak of their level.

This match will be a final before the hour.

Jonathan Sexton will not play and James Low may be unavailable.

I have a few friends among the members of the technical staff of the Bulls youth teams, I talked a little with them to know their feelings about Stade Toulousain, they are all unanimous, If Leinster play their usual game, they will lose at Dublin. The only solution with this Stade Toulousain, you have to press them very high, you have to go get them and above all bring them back to the ground.

And those members of the technical staff who explained this to me, they transmitted the message to the Sharks, the strategy had worked for 60 minutes and then mentally the Sharks collapsed.

Jack Willis has already launched hostilities through the media: Leinster are not invincible !

I think Lancaster will have a plan and well is supposedly staying behind with frontliners for next 2 weeks to really implement gameplan.

Big issue for semi final will be for all Leinsters good players and recent history good or bad is irrelevant as a missing Sexton is huge. Leinster are known to really drop maybe 15-20% of full capabilities when he is gone.
But the bigger picture is they are still good enough to beat most at that drop but the issue is that equally papers over cracks. And these usually get massively exposed then when they meet the good teams.
This has been Leinster's biggest issue over the last few years and why despite having their best crop of players over recent years have only once won it in last 11 years.
That is the biggest issue for them is being able to play at a low ebb for x amount of games and then really drive up those levels when needed.

We are in 2023.

The Toulousain stadium today is very different, more experience, better background, holders at the peak of their level.

This match will be a final before the hour.

Jonathan Sexton will not play and James Low may be unavailable.

I have a few friends among the members of the technical staff of the Bulls youth teams, I talked a little with them to know their feelings about Stade Toulousain, they are all unanimous, If Leinster play their usual game, they will lose at Dublin. The only solution with this Stade Toulousain, you have to press them very high, you have to go get them and above all bring them back to the ground.

And those members of the technical staff who explained this to me, they transmitted the message to the Sharks, the strategy had worked for 60 minutes and then mentally the Sharks collapsed.

Jack Willis has already launched hostilities through the media: Leinster are not invincible !

I agree with most of what you're saying to be honest but I think you're underestimating Leinster. (There might be a language barrier also, which is obviously absolutely fine, thank you for making the effort)

I think Leinster have matured massively this year and have realised that they need to be mentally strong in addition to being ultra prepared so this is a real test.

Like I said, I think Toulouse will win narrowly but I do think Leinster can win by playing their own game.
I think Lancaster will have a plan and well is supposedly staying behind with frontliners for next 2 weeks to really implement gameplan.

Big issue for semi final will be for all Leinsters good players and recent history good or bad is irrelevant as a missing Sexton is huge. Leinster are known to really drop maybe 15-20% of full capabilities when he is gone.
But the bigger picture is they are still good enough to beat most at that drop but the issue is that equally papers over cracks. And these usually get massively exposed then when they meet the good teams.
This has been Leinster's biggest issue over the last few years and why despite having their best crop of players over recent years have only once won it in last 11 years.
That is the biggest issue for them is being able to play at a low ebb for x amount of games and then really drive up those levels when needed.
Yeah, would be a fitting time for Ross to add to his game again, he's definitely a far better player than last season. I'd say Faz is secretly delighted.

I agree with most of what you're saying to be honest but I think you're underestimating Leinster. (There might be a language barrier also, which is obviously absolutely fine, thank you for making the effort)

I think Leinster have matured massively this year and have realised that they need to be mentally strong in addition to being ultra prepared so this is a real test.

Like I said, I think Toulouse will win narrowly but I do think Leinster can win by playing their own game.

Yeah, would be a fitting time for Ross to add to his game again, he's definitely a far better player than last season. I'd say Faz is secretly delighted.
Don't disagree with Ross. Even when he was being called average to poor by Leinster fans and to be overtaken by Harry I stuck up for him here. I backed him to be ahead of Crowley in 6 Nations too.

But it just life noone can be same as Sexton in terms of influence on this team.

But just overall as a team in terms of structures and like where Leinster are at is the issue. Like the argument can be asked is the fact most players don't play anything until Semi Final again a good thing or bad thing. Like there no correct recipe. None of us think Leinster are poor or average guys that aren't good enough. Internationals have shown that. It more can they get out of autopilot or effectively cruising in 3rd/4th gear and ramp it up to 6th

Latest posts