• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup knockout rounds should be over two legs

If that's the case, why use the CL as a basis for the argument of 2-leg Knockout portions of the fixtures?

If that's the case, why use the CL as a basis for the argument of 2-leg Knockout portions of the fixtures?

I'm just saying that the idea of two legs isn't that unusual and is used in the biggest events

but my point is that who wins over 2 legs, home and away is a better and fairer way of determining who goes through

But will also kill game because we don't have finances for extra games and add in the increase in games means even larger panel needed and more dates which means 1 of 3
- Kill Domestic Leagues
- Kill 6 Nations
- Kill Summer Off

So this is ridiculous thread and comparison. Soccer players can play 2-3 games a week because majority of time it diving and dancing and a yawn festival.
Rugby guys need their bodies to rest because it constant physicality and alot more wear and tear never mind considering other issues.
I love the Heineken Cup Format as it is and well you say some teams walk their groups well that luck. Munster needed a few miracles in their time and they had motivation because of way format is, it makes every game a battle because unlike soccer the rugby lads always go to win

But will also kill game because we don't have finances for extra games and add in the increase in games means even larger panel needed and more dates which means 1 of 3
- Kill Domestic Leagues
- Kill 6 Nations
- Kill Summer Off

So this is ridiculous thread and comparison. Soccer players can play 2-3 games a week because majority of time it diving and dancing and a yawn festival.
Rugby guys need their bodies to rest because it constant physicality and alot more wear and tear never mind considering other issues.
I love the Heineken Cup Format as it is and well you say some teams walk their groups well that luck. Munster needed a few miracles in their time and they had motivation because of way format is, it makes every game a battle because unlike soccer the rugby lads always go to win

I just said above I'm not comparing the Champions League to the H Cup

You are not reading my point properly, I don't want to change the group stages

I just want the semi finals to be played over two legs

that is just one more week of fixtures for only four teams

and saying that one more week of fixtures would kill things, is a complete and utter over reaction,

I've said here three times now, ditch the LV Cup and elaborate playoff systems, the Top 14 should be made smaller to 12 teams

and add two legs for at least the semi finals of the Heineken Cup to make it fairer and the most deserving team to do the best

Do you say LV Cup is killing rugby? NO
Do you say Wales v South Africa at the beginning of June in a friendly in Cardiff is killing rugby? NO
Random matches in Hong Kong is killing rugby? NO
Midweek games on international tours? NO

I just said above I'm not comparing the Champions League to the H Cup

You are not reading my point properly, I don't want to change the group stages

I just want the semi finals to be played over two legs

that is just one more week of fixtures for only four teams

and saying that one more week of fixtures would kill things, is a complete and utter over reaction,

I've said here three times now, ditch the LV Cup and elaborate playoff systems, the Top 14 should be made smaller to 12 teams

and add two legs for at least the semi finals of the Heineken Cup to make it fairer and the most deserving team to do the best

Do you say LV Cup is killing rugby? NO
Do you say Wales v South Africa at the beginning of June in a friendly in Cardiff is killing rugby? NO
Random matches in Hong Kong is killing rugby? NO
Midweek games on international tours? NO

why-so-serious-cat-funny-picture.jpg

Whats the last four points got to do with the argument?

Last edited:
Depending on your yeiw point northhampton. Or at least they were very much outsiders.

Well of course Northampton didn't deserve it. They were a half crocked bunch of Englishmen (who'd only had to play against schoolkids and fresh air en route). And it was the Irish sides' passing out parade. Everybody knew that.

*snigger*

That was me saying it in regards to 2 legged QF and SF. And well after 6 nations there a match every weekend as it is so how could you fit an extra 1 in when some teams have too many games already.
Also a comment was made suggesting lower top 14 to 12. And anger the French because they could loose out on money in sponsorship etc. And in ML and Premiership there only 12 teams and we still play nearly every weekend

That was me saying it in regards to 2 legged QF and SF. And well after 6 nations there a match every weekend as it is so how could you fit an extra 1 in when some teams have too many games already.
Also a comment was made suggesting lower top 14 to 12. And anger the French because they could loose out on money in sponsorship etc. And in ML and Premiership there only 12 teams and we still play nearly every weekend

Saying that things would be Killed off, is a complete over reaction, particularly as it's not that much of a drastic change

and as said above, do you accuse the LV Cup, elaborate playoff systems, random matches in Hong Kong, midweek games on international tours, Wales v South Africa in June in a friendly at Cardiff, Barbarians?

you don't say that those matches are "killing" things, so why is one extra match for just four teams going to "kill" things off?

Saying that things would be Killed off, is a complete over reaction, particularly as it's not that much of a drastic change

and as said above, do you accuse the LV Cup, elaborate playoff systems, random matches in Hong Kong, midweek games on international tours, Wales v South Africa in June in a friendly at Cardiff, Barbarians?

you don't say that those matches are "killing" things, so why is one extra match for just four teams going to "kill" things off?

1. Its not an overreaction.
2. Most people don't want the LV Cup.
3. All the best in trying to get the Top 14 to reduce itself to 12 teams, somehow I don't think you would be welcomed in France.
4. Play Off System was introduced into the Magners for instance because the league had become dull and boring and to be honest I like it in the Magners.
5. What random matches in Hong Kong? If your talking about the Bledisloe Cup, its not being played outside in Hong Kong for another 10 years, through the new agreement. But there was nothing wrong with it trying to gain interest in rugby in Asia. How does that even effect the NH?
6. Wales vs. South Africa ... has what to do with this? Played at the back end of last season in prep for the Summer Tour. End of Season job.
7. Baabaas game is to celebrate 130 years of Welsh Rugby and is a warm up game for the WC, nothing wrong.

Move on.

Last edited:
Well I'll put it this way Welsh teams play in LV cup and have to make it up with Midweek games already.
For an Irish province we aren't in LV and still have too many games.
Yes 4 teams may have extra game but remember if it comes in Heineken it has to come in Amlin so that 8 teams and then the 8 teams they were supposed to play domestically is 16 teams effected.
Playoff system is needed in leagues and very much appreciated.
The games in Hong Kong don't effect NH teams and internationals are played mainly within test windows so cutting an international game etc wouldn't make difference as National teams can still take players.
Add in fact then if you weaken any league by eliminating playoffs then you possibly weaken the leagues entertainment and loose revenue in marketing etc

Well I'll put it this way Welsh teams play in LV cup and have to make it up with Midweek games already.
For an Irish province we aren't in LV and still have too many games.
Yes 4 teams may have extra game but remember if it comes in Heineken it has to come in Amlin so that 8 teams and then the 8 teams they were supposed to play domestically is 16 teams effected.
Playoff system is needed in leagues and very much appreciated.
The games in Hong Kong don't effect NH teams and internationals are played mainly within test windows so cutting an international game etc wouldn't make difference as National teams can still take players.
Add in fact then if you weaken any league by eliminating playoffs then you possibly weaken the leagues entertainment and loose revenue in marketing etc

Again , you say 1 extra game for eight teams will kill the game off (a rampant over reaction)

But you don't say 1 or 2 extra playoff games for 14 teams will kill the game

3-5 Lv Cup games for 16 teams kill the game

Or Playing international games in June kill the game

Or playing midweek matches against Australia or South Africa kill the game

so why does one extra match for 8 teams kill the game and those don't?

Last edited:
Maybe the knockout stages in the World Cup should also be played over 2 legs...

Playoffs in leagues are 1 leg and aren't extra as they've been here ages. They took over from Celtic Cup so hardly extra ML games.
And those Midweek games against test nations are each clubs own choice and generate large revenues which wouldn't be case in your 2 legged idea. At least do some research if your going to be acting up.
And it not an overreaction it reality.
Also in 2 legged semi final it'd effect attendances traveling supports and plenty more.
But seen as you full of brains you tell me how they can fit an extra weekend on to an already over congested season. And thank god we live in tropical conditions and bad weather will never mean we have to reschedule games.

Latest posts