• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup set to be salvaged

S

shazbooger

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/6630747.stm

Heineken Cup set to be salvaged

Next year's Heineken Cup final could be in Cardiff
A European Rugby Cup meeting on Tuesday is expected to announce that the Heineken Cup will go ahead next season.
A deal is believed to have been brokered that will see the tournament go ahead in its current format, with the leading English and French clubs.

Welsh Rugby Union group chief executive Roger Lewis has played a role in the peace process.

He is confident enough of success to have made a bid to host the 2008 final in Cardiff's Millennium Stadium. [/b]

Well any news is good news.

How? Unless the RFU has caved in I would see no chance of this being true. If it is true, good luck to seeing either Premier Rugby or the RFU keeping its promises post World Cup.

Apparently Syd Millar has played a significant role in this effort. Lot of behind the scenes efforts going on according to Phillip Browne.

If there is a tournament though I don't see why the final should be in Cardiff AGAIN, surely it should be in Paris or Edinburgh before Cardiff gets another chance.

The question is, who blinked first? The RFU or the English Clubs?

I thought everything had gone suspiciously quiet after that rushed meeting at Heathrow between the iRB and all the warring parties.

...also, how'd they get the french clubs to cave? You can only buy those buggers off with baggettes and wine for so long...then you actually have to start producing.

Usual teams will take part, but they dont necessarily have to field their first teams.

If there is a tournament though I don't see why the final should be in Cardiff AGAIN, surely it should be in Paris or Edinburgh before Cardiff gets another chance.
[/b]

Agreed, as much as i like to have the Heineken Cup there, it's unfair on others.
I don't see why France should get the final after kicking up the fuss that they have.
Ireland, Scotland...or, dear me, who could have ever even considered poor little Italy!

Latest posts