Heineken Cup talks "have now ended"

Discussion in 'European Champions & Challenge Cup' started by ratsapprentice, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Feicarsinn

Feicarsinn Super Αdmin

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Yeah, but they're still in a position where they're threatened by their own mismanagement and general uselessness.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. psychic duck

psychic duck International

Do go on.

4. jonny24

jonny24 Academy Player

Country Flag:

Canada

Club or Nation:

Canada

I won't pretend to be an expert on the subject here, but I will offer this. I started watching Premiership, Super Rugby, and Pro 12 this year. And I have to say... Pro 12 is definitely lacking something, and not necessarily on the pitch. I want to say production value, but I'm not sure that's it. But something.

5. Tony Manx

Tony Manx TRF Season Ticket Holder

Club or Nation:

Biarritz

................will not be getting much of my time!

6. Feicarsinn

Feicarsinn Super Αdmin

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

No one made the Blues appoint Barber and Burnell or the Ospreys Scott Johnson.

7. munstermuffin

munstermuffin Hall of Fame

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Munster

Agree 100% with this. A lot if Welsh regions lie with themselves

8. Amiga500

Amiga500 First XV

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Ulster

"I would argue this does not need to be to the detriment of the international game"
    -Mark McCaffery

I hope all you blind short-sighted idiots that thought handing more power to clowns like McCafferty was a good idea are happy with a future of wendyball-lite. "Not need to be"... in other words, we dont care if it is collateral damage.

9. Tallshort

Tallshort International

Country Flag:

Poland

Club or Nation:

Leicester

only 1 blind short sighted idiot Amiga and that would be you..

10. snoopy snoopy dog dog

snoopy snoopy dog dog First XV

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Why the need for people to be antagonistic on all sides?!

To be clear, this seems like a rout of the Unions by the clubs. They have all that they asked for. I think though that we're already seeing the true intentions come to light. Under the initial RCC proposals, there were to be three competitions and lesser unions would be included. I and many others expressed doubt that PRL and LNR ever had an intention of looking after the lesser nations and this is already becoming clear. We have clear proposals for the EPCR Champions Cup and Challenge Cup competitions. The 3rd competition? That's been given the inspiring name of the Qualifying Competition and is to be run not by EPCR (which is RCC under another name basically) but by the amateur FIRA-AER. EPCR can't make money off it so leave it to the amateurs.

LNR and PRL have seen their purchasing power increase ahead of the WRU, RRW, IRFU, FIR and SRU. The take of the latter bodies is down to roughly 8% each. The take of the former is at around 33% each. While the old system was unfair, is the new system any better or has it shifted financial clout too far the other way?

I hope it works out. I fear it won't.

11. The Alpha Bro

The Alpha Bro Fat Boi

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Is there a set amount of money rabo teams will get each year for this competition or is it done by representation? Sorry if it's been said and I missed it.

12. psychic duck

The statement said EPCR with FIRA, although we will have to wait to find out the details of the arrangement.

Coaching appointments from 4 or 5 years ago are of little relevance to the current situation. Whatever has gone on in the past, the regions have managed quite well in this particular matter.

And as an aside it sums up how lowly the Pro12 is regarded when a title winning coach is still considered so badly, Johnson had a decent first season but fell away badly towards the end. Burnell is doing really quite well with London Welsh now as well by the way, even though his time was a disaster at the Blues.

13. ratsapprentice

ratsapprentice Hall of Fame

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

England

14. goodNumber10

goodNumber10 International

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

London Wasps

15. Feicarsinn

Feicarsinn Super Αdmin

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Not exactly an airtight argument. I could just as easily say it shows how great the pro 12 is that a man deemed good enough for both the Welsh and Scottish head coach roles was one of the poorer coaches in the league.

16. TRF_Peat

TRF_Peat Super Moderator

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Ulster

An alternate argument to that...

Coaches will always be judged on their whole reigns and probably more on the end than the beginning. That is the measure of a coach, not the competition, and there is no prize so glorious that a coach can't destroy their reputation after winning it. See Sir Clive Woodward for more details.

17. Amiga500

Amiga500 First XV

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Ulster

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...4-million-world-cup-compensation-9256728.html

Penny dropping yet?

Or do we need the PRL to actually prevent players playing for England before folks realise how bad a monster they've been feeding?

18. psychic duck

His reign fell away in Europe after a good first season not the Pro12 though, he left them in a good league position and Ospreys in fact ended up winning it that year after he left. It's unlikely he would have been got rid of and regarded as a mistake if the league was regarded highly.

19. welshglory

welshglory First XV

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Ospreys

Johnson isn't really a head coach in his style. His real specialty is identifying and developing youngsters, he's very very good at it as well. He would be most useful in a similar role to Gareth Jenkins' with the Scarlets. I think that's what he's doing now with Scotland officialy

20. Rumpi

Rumpi Academy Player

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Not necessarily the case. People just assume that sky throw money around, they'll only bid enough to beat the opposition. In ireland the rabo was on TG4, which basically means that RTE & TV3 weren't interested. Why? Because the viewership figures are terrible. Sky won't be paying any more then they have to to prize the rights off tg4, who operate on a tiny budget.

21. Feicarsinn

Feicarsinn Super Αdmin

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

Well, the point wasn't whether Johnson is a good coach or not, but rather that the Welsh regions will still be at the mercy of their own stupidity. Look at the Blues' stadium debacle over the past couple of seasons as another example.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!