• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup talks "have now ended"

Are they any worse than messers Guscott, Wood, Nichol and Davies? I think not plus Sky and BT dont have that annoying Sonia bird that the BBC insist on.

Overall Sky definitely have better analysis... BT actually have barely any real analysis.

I don't think either are particularly good though.
So many of the personalities involved in British (English, at least) rugby broadcasting fail to inspire much confidence in their knowledge or understanding of the game.

AS far a Laws go, BCM has actually come onto the referees forum and asked about some of the things he and other commentators get wrong, for example the old myth, "you have to let him up". Pity he's with the Beeb.

Its great to see that at least he is making the effort.

Last edited:
Shaggy's tendency to shout at the mic is something I find amusing, Quinny I like I duno wheater its just the way he speak or what hes actually saying theres just something I like about him. Greewood is the best of the lot IMO, brings good analysis.

Nah, they are nearly all blathers. Anyone can go on about pashun, intensity and fronting up. Technically analysing the minutia of the game rather than the overall shape of the match (which anyone can make a decent go at) is far and away beyond the majority of them.

The dagger has been on the Beeb and RTÉ recently - different league. Absolutely different league from the rest [well, apart from Bernard Jackman I suppose].

Former WRU cheif David Moffett has come out and said that the WRU are currently neglecting the Regions and clubs funding deliberately even though their own financial health has dramatically improved.....

http://www.espnscrum.com/wales/rugby/story/214889.html

Moffet is a Muppet. He was partially responsible for the mess in Australian Rugby League when he was the NRL boss back in 1999/2000 (you'll struggle to find a Rabbitohs fan that has anything good to say about him) and he fecked up the NZRU when he was the boss there. It took a few years to get the NZRU back into a profit again after this asshole had finished with it.

Personally, I wouldn't let him anywhere near a sporting organisation. He should stick to what he's good at... being the rubbish man!

Last edited:
Well, someone needs to call out the WRU, and although I am not a fan of his, I put more trust into him than Lewis.

Looks like another hurdle may be overcome in the never-ending HC fiasco:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...are-television-rights-for-European-clubs.html

"A historic agreement between BSkyB and BT to share the television rights for European club rugby moved a step closer on Thursday night after senior executives for the warring media giants spoke openly about a "solution" being found. Sky Sports managing director Barney Francis indicated a willingness to "compromise" and BT Vision chief executive Marc Watson said he was "optimistic" of striking a deal that would remove the biggest hurdle to a successor for the Heineken Cup.

Both companies broke their silence over negotiations revealed in Telegraph Sport last month, which are being brokered by Rugby Football Union chief executive Ian Ritchie. "

I still maintain that if it wasnt for Ritchie,then all out war between all parties would of probably been the outcome. I don't normally praise the suits of the RFU, but he deserves credit if this all works out.

I still maintain that if it wasnt for Ritchie,then all out war between all parties would of probably been the outcome. I don't normally praise the suits of the RFU, but he deserves credit if this all works out.

Totally agree and, when he has done this, I hope he sorts out the over employment of managers and ex players at HQ next and he will be able then to retire comfortablly in the knowledge of a job well done!!

http://www.espn.co.uk/heineken-cup-2013-14/rugby/story/218951.html

I really hope this is all as positive as it sounds. Just fed up and bored with back 'n forths.

Interesting to note this version is a 20 team competition, with a 6/6/7 split across Aviva/Top14/Rabo. With final place bring a four team playoff between one Aviva, one Top14 who placed 7th in their leagues and 2 Rabo teams who placed 8th and 9th. Although only for this first year will see just a single playoff between 7th placed qualifiers from Aviva and Top14.

I like the inclusion of a third tier competition and qualifiers for the second tier. Wonder how much will actually be televised from the third tier?

Feel happier that this appears to be a union run competition, and could help protect our international game.

Let's just hope someone comes up with more inspiring name that "Rugby Champions Cup"... totally insipid name, that.

How's this gonna work if Italy do pull out of the Pro12?

Well, they did propose an Italian domestic league with 8 clubs. So, the winner of that could take the "seventh" Rabo space. And decrease the Rabo participants to six teams.

But. I really doubt the Italian clubs will pull out at all.

Scotland and Italy's slide into being international also-rans is assured. Romania, forget it dudes. Its a closed shop. You are just there to make the rugby world cup last longer than a fortnight.

I've washed my hands of Northern Hemisphere domestic rugby. Here's one consumer who doesn't find the Northern Hem's product even remotely tempting. In fact I've cooled off rugby union as a whole. I haven't felt inclined to post on this website since December. I consider myself a casual England supporter now. Union isn't really going anywhere, there's no way for anyone outside the old boys network to progress, its stagnant and pointless save for cheering on your country 11 odd times a year. All of which means I'm gonna have a bit more cash and I can get that Kayak I've always wanted. C'ya.

I always liked hearing from Paul Wallace too. More from him please...

Shame there is no Dean Ryan from his darkened cave anymore

Ryan was a fantastic pundit, he just understood the game on a level none of the others could get near... barnes is very myopic but i have a soft spot for him, he writes better than he speaks (if that makes sense).

Greenwood is good, Horgan is good. And i thought Robinson was good int he England game the other day... i also think Woodward is going to turn out to be a good pundit longterm for BBC.

*edit: Sorry just seen how old those posts i was replying to were...

Scotland and Italy's slide into being international also-rans is assured. Romania, forget it dudes. Its a closed shop. You are just there to make the rugby world cup last longer than a fortnight.

I've washed my hands of Northern Hemisphere domestic rugby. Here's one consumer who doesn't find the Northern Hem's product even remotely tempting. In fact I've cooled off rugby union as a whole. I haven't felt inclined to post on this website since December. I consider myself a casual England supporter now. Union isn't really going anywhere, there's no way for anyone outside the old boys network to progress, its stagnant and pointless save for cheering on your country 11 odd times a year. All of which means I'm gonna have a bit more cash and I can get that Kayak I've always wanted. C'ya.

Sorry to hear that Packman.

Although, going by your original concerns, I would have thought this Union run version and not a Club run version would be preferable to you.

I agree there needs to be more transparency and real opportunity for teams from other countries to develop and maybe progress up the competition tiers. But I am optimistic that the new third tier and its promotion/relegation with the second tier is a first step that should lead to the same between tier one and two of the European competition.

So, Romania's reward for being reasonably competitive in the Challenge Cup against British and French clubs and beating the hell out of the Italian ones will be relegation to this fantasy "Third Tier" competition that will probably never exist. Who is going to pay for the huge travel costs of this competition? Are clubs from Tier 2 nations expected to be able to afford travel between (for example) Portugal and Georgia (over 5000km), or between Spain and the home of the Russian champions in Krasnoyarsk (over 8000km)? This is ridiculous, it's just an excuse to boot the few non-Tier 1 clubs from the Challenge Cup in order to make more space for the big boys.

Club owners in Romania and Russia who have invested millions of euros per year for a while now in order to build competitive clubs hoping for inclusion in European competitions have been idiots. European club rugby doesn't want their clubs and doesn't care about their efforts.

So, Romania's reward for being reasonably competitive in the Challenge Cup against British and French clubs and beating the hell out of the Italian ones will be relegation to this fantasy "Third Tier" competition that will probably never exist. Who is going to pay for the huge travel costs of this competition? Are clubs from Tier 2 nations expected to be able to afford travel between (for example) Portugal and Georgia (over 5000km), or between Spain and the home of the Russian champions in Krasnoyarsk (over 8000km)? This is ridiculous, it's just an excuse to boot the few non-Tier 1 clubs from the Challenge Cup in order to make more space for the big boys.

Club owners in Romania and Russia who have invested millions of euros per year for a while now in order to build competitive clubs hoping for inclusion in European competitions have been idiots. European club rugby doesn't want their clubs and doesn't care about their efforts.

I fully agree

Latest posts