• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup talks "have now ended"

I've said elsewhere/earlier in here that the only way I'd want the regions in the premiership is if there's no euro cup happening, and they're subject to the same relegation rules as everyone else.

Doesn't look like this will happen, though. I'd hope that the clubs (especially the lower table clubs/Bristol) would really push for this if/when they start seriously planning it all out.

But you see my point in that scenario and realistically it's not impossible as the Regions I think will be weak as they're loosing a lot and can't recruit when they don't have a clue what's happening

I still don't understand how relegation would work. Even if only one Welsh region in susceptible to relegation every season, there's every chance that the Dragons would be relegated after their first season, where the hell do they play then? What if the Blues go down the following season (on recent Pro12 standings, again a distinct possibility), followed by the Scarlets etc. There doesn't appear to be any deal involving us actually joining the English club system like in football, simply a deal between PRL and RRW about joining the Prem / creating a new competition.

I think I've come to the conclusion that I have no idea what's happening, nor does anyone else on here, or even any of the bodies involved (WRU, RRW, PRL, RFU etc. etc.). If things carry on like this, England may be in the same position we are in Wales shortly, with huge arguments between the RFU, PRL and Championship clubs, a huge power struggle.

Last edited:
I've said elsewhere/earlier in here that the only way I'd want the regions in the premiership is if there's no euro cup happening, and they're subject to the same relegation rules as everyone else.

Doesn't look like this will happen, though. I'd hope that the clubs (especially the lower table clubs/Bristol) would really push for this if/when they start seriously planning it all out.

There are reports that a deal on Europe could he struck next week, which would end all this.

There are reports that a deal on Europe could he struck next week, which would end all this.

We can only hope.

We should all be getting richer and building a stronger, more diverse set of competitions. Not ******* on each other.

We can only hope.

We should all be getting richer and building a stronger, more diverse set of competitions. Not ******* on each other.

It's never too late for a bit of common sense to break loose ... hopefully ...

All parties met yesterday at Heathrow. Another meeting planned for next Wednesday but it seems it was extremely positive and lots of parties are gone back to get the "OK" from their unions/boards on whatever has been agreed

All parties met yesterday at Heathrow. Another meeting planned for next Wednesday but it seems it was extremely positive and lots of parties are gone back to get the "OK" from their unions/boards on whatever has been agreed

Yup, fingers crossed everyone backs down now and common sense prevails.

ERC withholding funds from the regions. Shocking. I want no part in a tournament controlled by this organization.

ERC withholding funds from the regions. Shocking. I want no part in a tournament controlled by this organization.

You're joking? Isn't it legally theirs by right as it's basically money for participating in the HC? Surely this must be one of surely many final nailed in the coffin for the ERC? Regions won't want to be a part of this rubbish!

You're joking? Isn't it legally theirs by right as it's basically money for participating in the HC? Surely this must be one of surely many final nailed in the coffin for the ERC? Regions won't want to be a part of this rubbish!

My guess is, and I could be wrong, is that they are closing down the ERC, this is probably just an accounting/legal procedure. Seem if a deal on a new European competition is close, that the ERC. Is a goner.

Same with the english clubs, withholding over 1m currently looks like the toys are out the pram.

don't think it's a toys out of the pram thing lol

they have with-held all payments, so also to IRFU and Scottish and French, i presume?

i think they're going to be closed whatever scenario unfolds, if there is a compromise on European competition next year as reports suggest there will be, it will be governed by the six nations, not the ERC, so the company is being wound down and closed. The accounting and legal mumbo jumbo involved in closing a company (and paying their liabilities etc) are ridiculously complicated.

:rolleyes:

The directors of ERC voted unanimously at a Board meeting to postpone all decisions including the release of further instalments of ERC's distributable central revenues to the six shareholder countries until 19 February next when the Board will meet again to reconsider the issue.

The ERC Board of Directors is made up of representatives from the six unions of England, France, Ireland, Italy, Wales and Scotland, as well as representatives from three club bodies, namely the Ligue Nationale de Rugby (LNR), Premiership Rugby (PRL) and Regional Rugby Wales (RRW).

(Please see list of Board meeting attendees below)

The vote to postpone any decision followed preliminary advice received by the Board, and was taken in the best interests of the company after lengthy discussions.

The Board agreed unanimously that further detailed legal and other professional advice was necessary in order to facilitate the ongoing discussions in relation to the future of European club rugby tournaments and the distribution of funds deriving from the 2013/14 season.
Each season, ERC makes five payments of its distributable funds from its central revenues to the six participant countries from October through to September.

At the ERC Board meeting of 11 September 2013, it was decided that distribution payments should be approved by the Board before any funds are released. The first payment of €15 million (euro) was made in October 2013 following Board approval.

Mark Dodson and Ian McLauchlan, the directors of ERC representing Scottish Rugby, did not attend today's Board meeting, while Regional Rugby Wales has chosen not to replace Stuart Gallacher who resigned as as a director of ERC in December 2013.

ERC Board directors in attendance:
Jean-Pierre Lux - ERC independent Chairman
Michel Palmié - FFR
Marcel Martin - LNR
Rob Andrew - RFU
Peter Wheeler - PRL
Fabrizio Gaetaniello - FIR
Andrea Rinaldo - FIR
Peter Boyle - IRFU
Philip Browne - IRFU
Roger Lewis - WRU

Also in attendance:
Derek McGrath - ERC
Roger O'Connor - ERC
Steve Phillips - WRU

ERC Board directors not in attendance:
Mark Dodson - SR
Ian McLauchlan - SR
Regional Rugby Wales has chosen not to replace Stuart Gallacher as its Board director

I'm sure everyone will note a few things.
- It was unanimous.
--- Thus, all the unions agreed to it.
--- PRL* agreed to it.
--- LNR agreed to it.
- RRW's child-like policy of not going to the meeting has shown up the situation for what it is.
- The SRU were not present, I don't know if this means anything.

The regions are run by people used to getting their own way and not being able to be a constructive and willing partner of a wider organisation.

*Thats the same PRL that RRW are busy whoring themselves to at the minute.

Once again, the regions show themselves to be run by the stupidest pack of idiots on the rugby planet. Yet, this place will be full of apologists backing their stance and unable to see the wood for the trees.

Last edited:
The board members of the ERC have to vote in the best interests of that company, whatever their other interests might be.

I think this is part of a winding up process, not winding up the English and Welsh, but winding up the ERC as a company. Their position is untenable at this point.

The board members of the ERC have to vote in the best interests of that company, whatever their other interests might be.

Tell that to Peter Wheeler. Who had no problem agreeing to the Sky TV contract extension with ERC despite also being on the PRL board that agreed the BT deal.

Dirty, dirty dealings.

I think this is part of a winding up process, winding up the ERC as a company.

Possibly.

I should have prefaced my last post with "In Theory ... "

Oh I know and agree.

I'd reckon if the will was there, there could easily be a criminal investigation of Mr Wheeler for his actions over the past couple of years.

Dont think they have, only seen it reported that it effects the Welsh Regions and English clubs

Out of curiousity, where have you seen it? Have these reports explicitly said it only affects those two?

Latest posts