• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Cup talks "have now ended"

Round three of the eurocup kicked ass as usual.

Connaught had a massive impact on their pool on Sunday by beating Toulouse. Saracens could now theoretically top the pool, while Toulouse' quarterfinal ranking potential has dropped dramatically, no easy QF for them! Also Connaught do have a chance of progressing to the quarters for the first time. There's your improvement right there.

Teams like Connaught, Exeter, Treviso, Edinburgh and Scarlets routinely wreck the big sides European campaign every single year. A low seeding after the pool stages is damn near lethal to a club's aspirations. A dropped bonus point can consign you to an away quarter final vs Clermont or Toulon. Ask Leinster or Leicester from last year. In this competition you have to put these sides away as insurances against any loss against a big side, but these smaller teams aren't going down without a fight, it all contributes to the drama and those big clashes like Ulster vs Leicester become all the more important because if you've drop a point in Treviso or if Montpellier ambush Leicester next week, which would be a disaster. There are no dead rubbers. Every single year it goes down to round 6. Every year. PRL just talk out their collective asshole. This competition is the crown jewel of domestic rugby and PRL are only wrecking it so they can get 143 million quid.

Look at Cardiff and Llanelli's eurocup records. Pre-regions, Cardiff were a joke but post regions they contested one of the best knock out games we've ever seen and in round 2 they beat the euro champions. Llanelli pre-regions were outside ***le contenders, regularly reaching the knock out stages. In 2002 they contested mini 3 match series with Leicester that is now Eurocup folklore, They Smashed the living daylights outa us on their own patch, we came back to win at welford road and the semi final was one of the hardest matches you'll ever ever see in your life. won by the most amazing kick ever. Post regions Llanelli just don't have the pack anymore but they have still shocked Toulouse in France in the past and they beat Harlequins this year AT THE STOOP! Why are quins playing do or die rugby right now? Because they lost a home game against the scarlets, that why.

The different between Treviso of old and present day Treviso is stark. Treviso now regularly beat at least one big team at home. In fact, if there is one team to prove that dumping the likes of Zebra into the shield will not help them develop then I point you towards Treviso. Their eurocup history proves they've gone from where zebra are now to wrecking team's campaigns. Leicester have just about achieved what they needed to do against Treviso by scoring in the last play of the match TWICE!!! One mess up (and we are talking about Leicester here, we balls our moves up quite often.) and we'd be in serious trouble vs Ulster in round 6 and we'd have probably been out of the cup in the pool stages last year. Treviso is Zebra about 6 years into the future but only if zebra are allowed to face the likes of Toulouse and Leicester. Zebra as a club is only about three years old, what do you want from these guys? if you want to fast track them they HAVE to stay in the Euro-cup. Otherwise they are Bucharesti. Never going anywhere. That will hurt the Italian national side as well.

People were rightly congratulating Georgia last week on a decent Autumn series. But what have they really got to push for? Are we seriously going to say that Georgia could one day play in a 7 Nations when we're crippling the Scottish and Italian national sides by slashing their player's exposure to top flight domestic rugby by 50%? Bigging up Georgia utter hypocrisy. You want to show Georgia that there is a pathway to competing with the best in Europe? You may want to start with allowing Zebra, Connaught and Edinburgh to stay in the European cup.

There's no two ways about it. We've had another fantastic round of European cup. The tired old English arguments have been show up as rubbish once again with Ospreys and Racing Metro deservedly losing and Leinster and Harlequins deservedly winning. It got nothing to do with rest times, everything to do with application. Every European cup weekend just blows PRL's agenda out of the water and all they are left with is 143 million quid as the excuse to wreck the European cup and that should be unacceptable to every true rugby fan in the northern hemisphere. If you think that's okay then you don't understand whats at stake or you don't care, either way your point of view is decidedly suspect and ultimately you are harming international rugby.

If we applied your logic to the six nations then Scotland and Italy would be playing against Russia and Georgia, the Four Nations would be three weeks long and all you PRL fans will be over the moon. Give us ten years of that and watch the fans and international interest drop to Rugby league levels. There is no way that anyone can honestly say that PRL's intentions are for the good of the sport. I'd compare it to Britain's opium wars in China. I just wish someone would stand up in the house of commons ask what the hell are you doing, and how the hell are you supposed to justify your actions?

I don't think anyone is debating how great the Heineken Cup is. I love it. But I disagree that all the teams deserve to be playing just because they occasionally cause an upset. I think it would be better for their development to be playing similar ranked teams in the lower competition so that they have more of a chance of developing players and building crowds. Getting smashed all the time does not improve you as a player.

Round three of the eurocup kicked ass as usual. <snip>

Packman, a simply outstanding post. If there were such a thing as "post of the year" I would nominate this.

ETA: I'm hearing scuttlebutt that Canal+ are taking the LNR to court for breach of contract over their discussions/negotiations with BT Sport. Apparently, the LNR had signed a tender agreement with Canal+, and by then entertaining a higher offer from BT Sport they are in breach of that contract.

Can any French posters confirm this?
</snip>

Last edited:
I thought it was an absolutely dour weekend of rugby(unless your an Irish fan), with pedantic matches, massive blowouts and teams that fielded sides that apparently didn't even care (Toulouse looking at you), but I guess it's a matter of perspective.

I enjoyed two maybe three of the weeks games, Montpellier's fightback was impressive, Blues vs. Glasgow was OK. and Connacht's win is impressive even if it looked like Toulouse wanted to be at the pub instead. I could maybe throw in Exeter vs. Toulon and Castres vs. Ospreys as at least compelling due to their closeness but those games had some serious stop go periods of play capped with loads of sloppy play, and weren't much better than what you'd get in even a domestic competition.

Last edited:
If the Welsh did join the Premiership they could always do conferences/ divisions. For example North and South. Bear in mind I have no idea of the traditional rivalries you's want kept together.

North:
Sale, Newcastle, Leicester, Worcester, Gloucester, Northampton, Blues, Dragons
South: Sarries, Quins, Irish, Wasps, Bath, Exeter, Scarlets, Ospreys

Each team would play home and away with the teams in their division, and only one game against the others. Take the top two from each for the playoffs.

22 game regular season
3 more weekends of playoffs
25 game season

This also replaces the LV cup, no weeks needed for that.

The only thing I don't like is the fact that the Pro12 seems kind of fooked if they lose a third of their teams. B&I league anyone? The Italians can play with the french. Much simpler to keep track of :cool:

Last edited:
I don't see why the leagues need changing.

Unless the premiership has lost it's draw which I don't think it has. very competitive league just not as high a standard of teams on a European level as it was a few years back.

The much loved Stephen Jones said in yesterday's Sunday Times report on the Saints-Leinster match "The one good aspect of a reduced Heineken Cup without England teams is that at least English referees can take charge of games. In their absence, much of the officiating at the tournament can be terrifyingly bad."

Stephen Jones is a blight on rugby. If the times fired him at lunchtime I wouldn't shed one single tear.

The clown Cleary isn't much better.

Assuming the rumours that the current BT deal preclude the PRL from playing in the HEC are true... I'm theorising that BT are willing to make a new deal with the PRL that allows them to join the HC.

They would obviously want something in return - the inclusion of the regions.

Why would they want Wales? And where would we fit them in?

Last edited:
Last edited:
http://www.planetrugby.co.uk/story/0,25883,16024_9067578,00.html

The RFU have issued the following statement, nothing to get too worked up about until PRL clarifies its position, which I expect will happen this afternoon. Last thing I heard was that PRL were boycotting the Eurocup, which means an embarrassing U-Turn if they've changed their minds. Of course, refusal could be the opening international rugby supporters need to talk English regions...

BBC2 could do an entire new series of Blood On The Carpet based on this fiasco.

PRL aren't going back to the Heineken Cup unless the Celtic Unions give the RFU their goalposts back so it can actually fulfil its United Nations special peace envoy role. Find it hilarious that Ian Richie had to do the rounds of the press to answer ERC and other Unions briefing behind his back that the RFU is weak and in the pockets of the clubs. Apparently, trying to work with your club rugby colleagues and keep the peace = weakness in the wacky world of European Rugby.

Anyway the PRL's impending no show next season isn't the real story: its the impending meltdown in Wales thats the real story:

The regions wrote to the WRU last week saying that the proposal for the Heineken Cup next season meant they would not be in a position to agree a new participation agreement for the next four seasons. They have until the end of the month to say yes or no knowing that it is not so much an accord they would be signing as a suicide note with the deal worth the same, before inflation, as it was in 2009.

Both the regions and the WRU are looking at options should the agreement not be signed. The former are talking with Premiership Rugby about an Anglo-Welsh league while the union is considering setting up two professional teams in South Wales, in Neath and Pontypridd, and another in the north, with players on central contracts, but if the regions remained trading the governing body would struggle for players and next season's Heineken Cup would be even less prestigious.

The Anglo-Welsh plan involves a five-year agreement and a 16-team league. The regions are prepared to go to court to win the right to play in a cross-border tournament without the consent of their union, but they will also take out an injunction against the WRU if it next month tries to set up new teams and centrally contract players. If successful, they would almost certainly have to put Anglo-Welsh plans on hold until the outcome of a hearing.

A five-year Anglo-Welsh league, broadcast by BT Sport, would mean no way back for the Welsh and English clubs into the Heineken Cup as it is currently run. They envisage two smaller tournaments of 20 teams each, divided into four pools with sides playing each other once before the semi-finals and final.

Copied from the Guardian's breakdown email.

This is madness and sadly this is not sparta...

It undisguisedly is weakness - If they were stronger they could simply stipulate exactly what they want the clubs to do.

That isn't a criticism necessarily - I agree with coolbawn, below.
But the reality of their relationship.

Last edited:
I'm not going to criticize Ian Ritchie and Bill Beaumont yet (if ever). Surely negotiating behind the scenes isn't weakness ?

The RFU has always been in a pivotal position. I don't know these guys from Adam but Ian Ritchie has a good track record and is trying to work behind the scenes and Bill Beaumont always seems like one of the really plausible union types who has loads of contacts throughout European rugby. I don't believe for a moment that Ian Ritchie didn't know about the other unions' meeting or that he was upset not to be invited. That's just a smokescreen to ward off the grief he would have got from the PRL camp if he had issued a joint statement with the other unions. Basically, it looks as if he helped the other unions towards agreeing reasonable changes so it was time for those unions to offer the changes to PRL so PRL would look unreasonable if they still turned them down.

Only the unions can possibly put/keep all the interwoven pieces of the rugby community in place and that costs money so they should be in charge (albeit with commercial input from clubs etc). The unions can justifiably wield influence over cross-border matters; for example, the RFU might quietly remind the IRFU to accept the odd compromise if the IRFU wants the RFU to back the IRFU's RWC bid. The RFU is pivotal. The RFU's style is not like the FFR's. So I don't mind them negotiating behind the scenes and wish them well as they seem to see the big picture. I hope ....

If anyone doubts that the Heineken Cup is a great competition, they need look no further than THIS

You will never see something that approaches anywhere near as big an upset as this in an Anglo-French turd ploughing competition, even less likely in an Anglo-Welsh league.

We get upsets like this every year in the FA Cup and occasionally in the Premiership, it is what makes sport great at times, but generally the status quo is maintained once a club has had a blip:
Connacht 9 - 37 Toulouse

And Cooky, i think everyone agrees the HC is a good comp, but it is in spite of the ERC not because of it. The replacement cup will be as good and games will continue as before.

Last edited:
Two good latest posts from Prestwick & coolbawn.

No finger pointing or barbed comments, just stating things as they stand and like me recognising that in some quarters the current status quo is resulting in a shambles which cannot continue without detriment to all those involved.

This hasnt been brought on by the PRL alone, and even though i am not 100% behind their stance, i will back them on here in the face of unwarranted and unjustifiable attacks on a solitary basis. I find it quite disturbing that there are some BM's that are salivating in their desire to see one particular side fail here. If one side fails, then all will suffer, but some will suffer far worse than others to the extent that their domestic system will fail. that is not an option as far as i'm concerned and hopefully the new impetus by the RFU will see a light at the end of the tunnel:

http://www.espnscrum.com/heineken-cup-2013-14/rugby/story/208997.html
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/25382232

Latest posts