• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Help with French tactics

goblind!

Academy Player
Hey guys and gals,

I have been reading through a book in French on rugby, and I would really appreciated some help with some of the terms.
My French is ok, but a few of these really have me stumped. Any and all helped muchly appreciated:

<meta charset="utf-8">Lancement de jeu - play-the-ball?
3 zones: source, milieu, large - source, middle, wide?
MELEES GAUCHE, MELEES MILIEU, MELEES DROITE - LEFT, MIDDLE & RIGHT SCRUM?
Touches completes directes - touche is line-out, complete direct line-out??
ba
llons port
és - no idea!
pivot du preneur (Whole phrase: Jeu simple 9 à 10 à 12 _ Pas d’appels de 7 et 8 _ 7 et 8 au soutien du 12 _ Retour fermé avec pivot du preneur)

Many thanks!

As I don't know the context, what i'll give you might not be accurate :

- Lancement de jeu : the best translation here would be "Moves". All the moves starting from a Scrum, a Lineout, etc... (http://stapscrew.free.fr/Texte/Les lancements de jeu.htm)
- 3 zones : sources, milieu, large - source, middle, wide. As I don't know the context, it's quite difficult to explain this. I guess source refers to where the ball is/where the action does start.
- About mélées : you're translation is correct, there's not much else to say about it.
- Touches complètes directes : something like "direct full lineouts". I've never seen this before, I can't really help you here. Maybe is it the fact that you decide to do your line-out with 3 jumpers, instead of just 2 or 1 ?
- Ballons portés = maul (this one was easy :p ! ballon = ball and porté = carried)
- "Jeu simple 9 à 10 à 12" is what we usually call "hands" here in England (although it may have another name elsewhere. It means that the 9 passes the ball to the 10, who then passes the ball to the 12). "Pas d'appels de 7 et 8" means "no call from the 7 or 8", basically your flankers won't be involved in the passing process, they're not going to claim the ball and "8 au soutien du 12" means "8 is supporting the 12", so once the ball reached the inside center (12), he gets the support from the 8.

"Retour fermé avec pivot du preneur" probably means "Retour coté fermé", which is "back to blindside with a pivot from the guy who takes the ball" ("preneur - prendre means take").

Maybe it means that once the inside center got the ball and ran into the opposition with the number 8 supporting him, the guy who then takes the ball (the "preneur"), probably the scrum half, is playing back to the blindside (which is something you usually do not do).

De rien !

What's the name of your book ?

It's a book about tactics that a french coach has written.
Book is perhaps a bit generous, more notes/folder...

Latest posts