• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Here is the TRF EXCLUSIVE SCOOP, 22/6/2011!

Wow ... unreal

agreed, i think it best to just ignore nonsens like that... what is don't understand is why people like him bothers?? If doesn't like it, why not just keep quite and go, it very clear that most people are getting excited so the "right to my opinion" argument isn't really relevant for comments like that anymore...

Yeah, just check out sites like mddb.com - there are a million mods for XBOX 360 and PS3 games out there, so it's definitely possible. I haven't done it myself yet, but I'm guessing it just takes a little patience to work out :)

No,
Consoles are locked content systems by nature and therefore modability can only be achieved by :
- Tools provided by the developpers themselves or
- Modding consoles and playing modified copies of games.

On non-modded consoles, direct edits of saved rosters might be possible on ps3 version. HB may allow direct imports of user-made faces via usb sticks, but I'd surprised.
Every modification on Xbox 360 will have to be made by hand.

Also, playing with modified stats/jerseys/faces online is an absolute no.

Don't expect anything close to the level of modability on the '08 PC version (which by PC modding standards isn't very flexible itself), you won't have new teams or tournaments.

No,
Consoles are locked content systems by nature and therefore modability can only be achieved by :

On non-modded consoles, direct edits of saved rosters might be possible on ps3 version. HB may allow direct imports of user-made faces via usb sticks, but I'd surprised.

Don't expect anything close to the level of modability on the '08 PC version (which by PC modding standards isn't very flexible itself), you won't have new teams or tournaments.

Exactly how I felt about this. It sounds to me from the most recent articles like you won't be able to alter the appearances of the players in the New Zealand or Australian sides. So, it sounds like changing their names and attributes is about as far as it goes. Quite worrying in a way, as I know likenesses wouldn't be permitted, but not being able to customise appearance in any way will likely mean changing the names for those sides will be a largely pointless exercise.

Can't wait for this game, come on time hurry up i want 26th august already! :)

Exactly how I felt about this. It sounds to me from the most recent articles like you won't be able to alter the appearances of the players in the New Zealand or Australian sides. So, it sounds like changing their names and attributes is about as far as it goes. Quite worrying in a way, as I know likenesses wouldn't be permitted, but not being able to customise appearance in any way will likely mean changing the names for those sides will be a largely pointless exercise.

This is my concern for both games. I only play online as I much prefer human competition than any programed AI. The problem is that no modifications will be allowed online due to cheating and licensing issues. So not playing against The All Blacks or the Wallabies online is going to suck donkey balls!!!!!

Well done, I would love to know if Canada is able to pre-order as well. If so from where?

I was wondering this as well. I am from Nova Scotia but am unsure of how to purchase this game, even though it is developed in Lunenburg, about 45 minutes away. Hopefully someone from HB will be able to answer this question.

why wont the allblacks be in the game ??

Because another game has the rights to the All Blacks and Australia. It's called All Black Rugby Challenge, though I'm under the impression that the name changes depending on where you live. For example in Australia it's called the Wallabies Rugby Challenge. So I'm guessing for us it could be like WRU Rugby Challenge or Irish Rugby Challenge.

I believe that AJ has made comments on other posts that we are pursuing avenues for distribution in North America, and that there will be more news to come on that in the coming weeks or month. We are in North America so yes we want to see it released here :)

Also the RFU deal is an exclusive agreement. It is mentioned in the first post in the thread where it was announced on these very forums.

Does the south african license include the use of any of their stadiums?

HB_Glen thanks, that is what I thought.

Also Sanzar it is probably because of the amount of profit that is directly related to the advertising in the game is not substantial enough for them to get two little paychecks instead of a massive one.

i stand corrected! i thought the first screens were awful but i have never been happier to be proven wrong. Those graphics look very good! I was wondering, if HB made fifa world cup 2010, would rugby world cup 2011 have the same graphics???

Very exiting stuff :D :D really wetting my appetite :D :D can't wait for these next few weeks to fly by :p

Haha Graphics are amazing. Cant wait for it come out!. Anyone know if they licensed the Pacific Island teams??

I was wondering, if HB made fifa world cup 2010, would rugby world cup 2011 have the same graphics???

Rugby World Cup 2011 is built on our own technology that has been developed over the past four years. While we continue to collaborate with EA Sports on a number of ***les, Rugby is built on a different engine. As with all of the elements in the game we aim for the highest quality and FIFA certainly has set a very high bar visually.

No,

Well personally I don't really care an awful lot about online... and I'd be more than happy to have my system modified to play the game the way I want. But I see your point; the fact that it's only on console is something of a downer. I'm not sure what HB's attitude has been with regard to editability, but I would suggest that it's emphatically in their interest to make it as easy as possible for the end user to be able to edit their way out of the licensing issue. The fact that the Union's don't understand the potential of this medium shouldn't be cause for the consumer to suffer.
In any case, I think we can be quite certain that Sidhe's ***le will be highly editable, so if HBs proves too close then we can always just focus on Sidhe's.

Also Sanzar it is probably because of the amount of profit that is directly related to the advertising in the game is not substantial enough for them to get two little paychecks instead of a massive one.

But wait, you're still looking at it from the wrong angle in my opinion. Which party usually pays when attempting to have their product shown or associated with something that has strong public exposure? That's why this is irrational in my opinion.

For instance, how does the SARU, ARU, RFU etc etc NOT benefit from having THEIR PRODUCTS appearing in an interactive media with a large audience - an audience that may help provide them with new fans. To put it another way, the only reason that the Wallabies benefit from having the QANTAS logo on their jersey is that QANTAS pay them. But with a video game, you're providing people the opportunity to essentially get up close and personal with your products (teams) and therefore help familiarise people with them. In essence it's little different to the Waratahs spending a bundle of cash to produce their TV Show on the team called "The Code" in which people get an insight into the workings of the team and the player personalities. It's an exercise designed to increase public awareness and broaden the fan base, because when you do that you increase the chances of getting more money from your all important TV deal.

I posted an article a while back arguing that in Australia the NRL should directly invest in creating a high quality video game if its new TV deal gave it substantial funds. The NRL now looks like it will get $1 billion for its next contract - almost double its last one - and I would suggest that it would be worthwhile them investing several million along side a developer to create a very high quality product that would be appreciated for its realism, game play and attention to detail to such an extent that non Rugby League fans would pick it up in non-Rugby League states in the same way that so many non-soccer fans buy soccer games because of the quality of FIFA etc.

Perhaps this is more a result of being Australian - the football market here is more competitive in terms of seeking the affections of fans than any other in the world, and so the marketing of your sport is truly a battle ground, but either way I would suggest that these football organisations stand to gain a fair bit themselves if they do this right. We'll already had companies paying the devs of games like GTA to put advertisements for their products around fake cities. This may be more mutually beneficial, but is it really so different that the devs and publishers should be sending themselves broke just to get the license?

Last edited:
The fan-boys are stupid. Anyone who jumps in and starts becoming tribal in their support for a product is just silly... these are both products and as avid rugby fans it's in all of our interests that they both be good! The better they are and the closer their rivalry, the better for the sequels. The only thing we should all be concerned about is when both companies will be releasing jersey templates and game code information so the modding community can begin fixing the non-licensed sides.

I agree, we all just want a really good rugby game, OR TWO. lol

I totally agree. And beyond this, I dont really understand why the sponsors of the teams arent going nuts. Surely Qantas for example want their logo and branding advertised in both games, and they presumably pay a ludicrous amount of money to the union. You would think that they would put a load of pressure on the union to license both!

Latest posts