Highlanders plan to snub draft

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by esoj, Jun 6, 2006.

1. esoj

esoj Guest

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. woosaah

woosaah Guest

good find esoj :D

big call by the highlanders though, but it will benifit them in the long term and will help boost their chances in the air new zealand cup as well with more of their players gaining more experience at higher levels.

good stuff i say

4. Black-Monday

Black-Monday Guest

What is the draft? Infact anyone got a suitable way of explaining how people are elligible for each team and how fijians play for one team, and how Rawlinson became a Blue etc...

Cheers.

BM

5. Ripper

Ripper Guest

Easy, he's plays for North Harbour in the NPC, which is in the Blues zone.

And Fijians don't play for one team you dunce. It's all got to do what NPC team you play for.

6. Black-Monday

Black-Monday Guest

I meant how does a fijian play for one team and another for another, but if non nz players can play in the npc i understand. Is it the same with Rawlinson etc. How did Rico Gear go from Blues to 'saders?

BM

7. woosaah

woosaah Guest

gear switched provinces from auckland (guessing he was playing for them in npc i cant remember, could have been north harbour for all i care) and then went for nelson bays which falls under the crusader banner. that isnt really part of the draft at all...

i dont think anyone knows how the draft actually works.. ill see if i can find anything about it

8. woosaah

woosaah Guest

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/event/story.cfm?...jectID=10352668

that tells you a little

9. Black-Monday

Black-Monday Guest

So theoretically, the NPC clubs could get all the good players in one province, and kick arse? Or is there a Wage cap to stop this?

BM

10. woosaah

woosaah Guest

there is going to be a salary cap in the air new zealand cup to spread the talent, it is going to make things interesting in the coming years

11. Black-Monday

Black-Monday Guest

That draft sounds barmy, while some of the names mean nothing. It still shows a flawed system.

BM

12. woosaah

woosaah Guest

well the system seams to work. having the two top teams of the competition being two new zealand teams.

and nucifora was happy about it, even though he got a crap team (he liked the team he just couldnt do anything with them)

13. esoj

esoj Guest

the draft works fine imo. ultimately the super 14 is a tool used to find abs etc and so the nzrfu will always reserve the right to intervene in the selection process. with the franchise boundaries as they are a team like the blues that has 3 division one npc teams will always be screwed over by the draft as it is simply impossible for 3 to go into 1 team.

14. Candyman

Candyman Guest

I think this is a good move lets them bring through local talent and be stronger for the nz cup......this should be done in all teams

15. Ripper

Ripper Guest

Of course if the Naptime Premiership used it, it would be greatest system ever.

16. Black-Monday

Black-Monday Guest

It would never happen in GP rugby. Purely for the fact that we have clubs and not regions. Also I couldn't quite see how the logistics would work. We have transfers when people go out of contract. Best thing to do and easiest to manage.

BM

17. Ripper

Ripper Guest

Works for all Major Sports in America.

And Foriegners are allowed to play in the NPC... don't know why people think they can't.

Brock James was the Naki Player of the year in 2004.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!