• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hika Elliot cut from Hawke's Bay books

maybe they are trying to make a point, but axing a local boy with 83 caps like that is not going to win them any fans. Hika is not by any means a sure All Black selection

I guess with ben franks they know he's unliekly to get many games and will be being paid accordingly. hika's contract will be a lot more, and I guess the union decided they cant carry the risk of him not being available. something like that maybe?

still a bit of a shock, I know that the NZRU helps the unions out when they lose players who are on all black duty. Maybe it just doesn't do enough.

I would be very surprised if Elliot's axing has anything to do with whether he will be in the AB's. There have always been questions raised about Elliot's attitude wherever he goes - perhaps he ****** off the wrong people this time (again)? He has the potential to be a good All Black, but he lacks consistency, and the AB's selectors don't seem to like him either. I'm sure there will be other ITM Cup sides in NZ that would be prepared to sign him though if he wants to stick around....

Wow. Surprising move.

But his AB isn't guaranteed either. Never really thought of him a s a sure lineout thrower.

Elliot doesn't have a problem throwing to lineouts, I think he's actually clearly better than Mealamu and Hore at throwing and it was particularly evident when he played for the AB's, even pressure line out throws were spot on.

His attitude issues are interesting, you hear about them but dont really see them. Bit of an unknown factor. There is something in it, I mean he played really well for the All Blacks on the 2010 EOY tour and had a good 2011 season but didn't get selected for the AB's in 2011 even though on field performance should have made him the obvious option - talk of attitude problems came out.

But he has started this season with the chiefs in the best condition I think I've seen him and people have said he has improved in some of his problem areas.

And he was one of the driving forces behind HB becoming a major force in ITM cup up in recent years (not last year they sucked if I remember correctly)

Good to see Dave Renee come out and stand beside Elliot on this issue

strange goings on, who knows maybe this will set a trend and we see this more with pressure building on unions to get in the black.

Latest posts