• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Chris Boyd - from Wellington to Leinster coach?

snoopy snoopy dog dog

First XV
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Leinster
It looks as though Joe Schmidt will be offered the Ireland head coach job. That's leaving a job opening at Leinster. Chris Boyd has been mentioned as a possible left field replacement. As a northern hemisphere poster, I'm ignorant about the ITM Cup (and attacking rugby in general). Boyd has an extensive CV but I know nothing about him other than what a quick google search brings up. How is he rated as a coach?

His record is okay but I wouldn't get too carried away. Wellington under him have just done what we always have. He has had good squads which lack that little bit extra necessary to actually win the competition.

The only place I've seen him mentioned is as an after thought in a Thornley article. As I've said elsewhere I think Gibbes is the most likely. With a new backs coach.

His record is okay but I wouldn't get too carried away. Wellington under him have just done what we always have. He has had good squads which lack that little bit extra necessary to actually win the competition.
Thanks for replying.

We tend to bury our heads in the sand in the European rugby playing nations about having, generally, poor skill levels whilst bemoaning the "basketball rugby" or SupeRugby even though those nations regularly monster us at the end of our season every year. The reason Leinster became so dominant as a club under Joe Schmidt is that he helped improve their basic skills exponentially. If Boyd or anyone can continue that work, that's all that's required.

Latest posts