• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hong Kong 7's: 22nd-24th March 2013

LittleGuy

First XV
Country Flag
Canada
The Hong Kong 7's has another changed format for this year and one I think is better than last years. There will be the traditional 16 team tournament featuring the 15 core teams plus host Hong Kong, while a second 12 team tournament will take place between non core teams that will act as a pre-qualifier for core status next season. The entire event has already been sold out.

Main Tournament:

Pool A: South Africa, Wales, Argentina, Australia
Pool B: New Zealand, United States, France, Kenya
Pool C: Samoa, Scotland, England, Portugal
Pool D: Canada, Fiji, Spain, Hong Kong

Pre Qualifier Tournament:

Pool E: Tonga, Uruguay, Tunisia, Chinese Taipei
Pool F: Japan, Georgia, Brazil, Jamaica
Pool G: Russia, Zimbabwe, Cook Islands, Mexico

Last edited:
I wonder if anybody can stop the first team listed from winning each of those pools in the qualifier. And want to trade places in pool D for pool B in the main tourney?

Uruguay and Brazil have indeed qualified for the Hong Kong 7's and this has been edited into the first post.

I wonder if anybody can stop the first team listed from winning each of those pools in the qualifier. And want to trade places in pool D for pool B in the main tourney?

Zimbabwe would be the best bet to do that IMO.

We really need to make the Cup 1/4s again. Only 3 tournaments left before the relegation playoffs are determined. Gotta root against Scotland, Australia and Canada. While England are in reach, they are in the same pool as Scotland and Portugal so I think we need to root for them as they are both higher on points and more likely to take big points going forward.

I was at Vegas this year and it's great to see how quickly 7s is reaching a wider audience. I've heard that Hong Kong is the absolute home of 7s though so I'm looking forward to catching the highlights if I can.

NZ still look pretty unstoppable, but I'll be rooting for Kenya in the hopes that they can finally get a tournament win in.

Two changes to the USA squad from Vegas. Mike Palefau and Brett Thompson in, Blaine Scully (injury) and Mauer out.

USA Men's Eagle Sevens | Cathay Pacific HSBC Hong Kong Sevens
Andrew Durutalo
Nick Edwards
Jack Halalilo
Matt Hawkins (Captain)
Colin Hawley
Luke Hume
Carlin Isles
Folau Niua
Mike Palefau
Shalom Suniula
Zach Test
Brett Thompson

Two changes to the USA squad from Vegas. Mike Palefau and Brett Thompson in, Blaine Scully (injury) and Mauer out.

USA Men’s Eagle Sevens | Cathay Pacific HSBC Hong Kong Sevens
Andrew Durutalo
Nick Edwards
Jack Halalilo
Matt Hawkins (Captain)
Colin Hawley
Luke Hume
Carlin Isles
Folau Niua
Mike Palefau
Shalom Suniula
Zach Test
Brett Thompson

Not entirely sure about that... According to http://www.irbsevens.com/destination/edition=5/news/newsid=2061441.html

USA Men's Eagles Sevens
Mark Bokhoven (Denver Barbarians; Ames, Iowa)
Andrew Durutalo (Old Puget Sound Beach; Seattle Wa.)
Nick Edwards (Sydney University; Sydney, Australia)
Tai Enosa (USA Rugby; San Diego, Calif.)
Colin Hawley (USA Rugby; Trowbridge, Calif.)
Folau Niua (USA Rugby; East Palo Alto, Calif.)
Mike Palefau (Unattached; Salt Lake City, Utah)
Nu’u Punimata (Old Puget Sound Beach; Seattle, Wa.)
Shalom Suniula (USA Rugby; San Diego, Calif.)
Zack Test (USA Rugby; Palo Alto, Calif.)
Peter Tiberio (USA Rugby; Naperville, Ill.)
Maka Unufe (USA Rugby; Provo, Utah)

Here's an articlefrom irbsevens that agrees the squad will be: USA Men's Eagle Sevens: Andrew Durutalo, Nick Edwards, Jack Halalilo, Matt Hawkins (Captain), Colin Hawley, Luke Hume, Carlin Isles, Folau Niua, Mike Palefau, Shalom Suniula, Zach Test, Brett Thompson and they were talking about it on twitter with players like captain polar bear Matt Hawkins. He described the returning Thompson as "big man who can seriously move with a strong rugby and football background. Expect a ton of physicality on Off. and D" Link

They also posted the squad for...

England: England Sevens: John Brake, Richard De Carpentier, Sam Edgerley, Mike Ellery, Christian Lewis-Pratt, Dan Norton, Tom Powell, James Rodwell, Mathew Turner, Rob Vickerman (C), Marcus Watson, Jeff Williams

http://www.irbsevens.com/destinatio...42.html#england+sevens+make+changes+hong+kong

Not entirely sure about that... According to http://www.irbsevens.com/destination/edition=5/news/newsid=2061441.html

USA Men's Eagles Sevens
Mark Bokhoven (Denver Barbarians; Ames, Iowa)
Andrew Durutalo (Old Puget Sound Beach; Seattle Wa.)
Nick Edwards (Sydney University; Sydney, Australia)
Tai Enosa (USA Rugby; San Diego, Calif.)
Colin Hawley (USA Rugby; Trowbridge, Calif.)
Folau Niua (USA Rugby; East Palo Alto, Calif.)
Mike Palefau (Unattached; Salt Lake City, Utah)
Nu'u Punimata (Old Puget Sound Beach; Seattle, Wa.)
Shalom Suniula (USA Rugby; San Diego, Calif.)
Zack Test (USA Rugby; Palo Alto, Calif.)
Peter Tiberio (USA Rugby; Naperville, Ill.)
Maka Unufe (USA Rugby; Provo, Utah)

Just a guess but that looks like the squad for HK from last year. I wish Unufe wasn't hurt though. I'd love to see a lineup of Hawley, Test, Unufe, Hume, Suniula/Niua, Isles and Palefau. Disappointed not to see Taufa there, either, as it sounds like he's similar to Unufe in athleticism but that's more disappointment that he's not there yet as opposed to actual disappointment with the selections.

The Qualification groups look good! This is like a little world cup for mid-teams, but nevertheless they will give everything to keep going in the tour.
For our countries is nice to see this competition taking place each year, it means at least two tournaments a year (regional and HK7's) and of course double exposure to competitive rugby.
This kind of format is pretty good to develop the sport, perhaps something like that in the 15's could help mid- and low- rank teams to have regular game.

Last edited:
Just a guess but that looks like the squad for HK from last year. I wish Unufe wasn't hurt though. I'd love to see a lineup of Hawley, Test, Unufe, Hume, Suniula/Niua, Isles and Palefau. Disappointed not to see Taufa there, either, as it sounds like he's similar to Unufe in athleticism but that's more disappointment that he's not there yet as opposed to actual disappointment with the selections.

Yeah, I'm assuming the IRB simply made a mistake with that article, because I tweeted Tiberio, congratulating him on being selected and he laughed and said he wasn't going to HK this year. Kinda wish he was going, because I've watched him play and his ability to create something out of nothing is just ridiculous.

All the teams are in HK and they lined up all the cap's for a photo, even the ones from the qualifier teams...

BFxuBqlCYAAHxkY.jpg:large

My team plays at 5:50 AM and 8:50 PM on the same day Friday, gotta remember to set the alarm.

Hong Kong stadium looking great (from a team's walk thru pics)....

BF2i_jSCIAEgLO_.jpg:large

btw - NZ are missing Kurt Baker and Tomasi Cama. I predict we're not making it past the QF with the shitty squad we have (probably the worst in memory).

WTF happened to Miles Craigwell?

Not selected and really hasn't been all year. He played for USA A in the Americas Rugby Championship in 15s and honestly he's probably more suited to 15s as he isn't fast enough to play wing in 7s.

btw - NZ are missing Kurt Baker and Tomasi Cama. I predict we're not making it past the QF with the shitty squad we have (probably the worst in memory).

I'm actually quite excited by the look of this NZ squad. Though I agree it looks much weaker without Cama (and Baker, and Raikuna, and Jackman), I think it will be a great chance for NZ to develop another playmaker in Cama's absense. Rocky Khan is the obvious man to fill this role - he has been really impressive at the National Sevens over the last couple of season, so it will be great to see if he can transfer than form to the international stage. Spooner-Neera is rated incredibly highly, Gillies Kaka could be a phenomenal Sevens players (if he put his mind to it), while the likes of Stowers and Lam give us plenty of pace and power outwide. There is certainly a lack of experience, so they will be relying heavily on Forbes, Raikabula, and Mikkelson.

Perhaps I'm just excited as I have no idea how we will go - we could well get knocked out at the quarter-final stage, but I also think we have enough talent in the side to win the tournament.

I'm actually quite excited by the look of this NZ squad. Though I agree it looks much weaker without Cama (and Baker, and Raikuna, and Jackman), I think it will be a great chance for NZ to develop another playmaker in Cama's absense. Rocky Khan is the obvious man to fill this role - he has been really impressive at the National Sevens over the last couple of season, so it will be great to see if he can transfer than form to the international stage. Spooner-Neera is rated incredibly highly, Gillies Kaka could be a phenomenal Sevens players (if he put his mind to it), while the likes of Stowers and Lam give us plenty of pace and power outwide. There is certainly a lack of experience, so they will be relying heavily on Forbes, Raikabula, and Mikkelson.

Perhaps I'm just excited as I have no idea how we will go - we could well get knocked out at the quarter-final stage, but I also think we have enough talent in the side to win the tournament.

Mmm, that post makes me more optimistic. Khan certianly looked good during the Wellington 7's. I don't rate Lam at all - he only knows how to run hard, but he's not that fast and doesn't break that many tackles, but he does try the 50/50 offloads, which work less than 50% of the time. Stowers on the other hand I'm very happy he is back. Kaka has been a bit hit and miss, but generally looked a quite dangerous in the Wellington 7's. Wondering if Spooner-Neera will be in the U20's team this year.

I'm almost more pessimistic about our older players. Cama and Baker were two of the experienced players which still looked good (till Baker got injured and Cama admittedly actually didn't look particularly good) - but to me Forbes and Raikabula have looked quite off pace - I think their age is starting to show.

Day 1 (8 games) finished. I only saw the last 3 matches, but they were certainly worth watching! Samoa smashed England (probably not surprising, as England have been poor this season), New Zealand beat France, but the big upset for me was Argentina beating South Africa (21-0, as a result of 3 second half tries).

New Zealand did enough to win, but it was a much closer game than the scoreline suggested (it was 14-12 just after half-time). Kaka looked ok in the playmaker position, but I still think we should be giving Rocky Khan a shot there. I really like Sam Dickson in the forwards (who has a superb aerial game), and Mikkelson played well in the backs.

Bring on day 2!

I only saw Kenya vs USA from day 1, great game with 3 tries to 2 coming from some little defensive miscues and turnovers. I had to pull an allnighter to see it that's why I missed so many others, it was the 3rd match in and aired live at 3:50 AM where I live, heh. I really enjoyed the Shalom Suniula long kick ahead to Carlin Isles who chip kicked it to himself on the way to the try. If I had it to do over maybe I'd have hit the caffeine and watched Samoa v England and that Argentina/South Africa shocker. And I see Canada really laid into Spain, were they playing as well as they did previously? I'm sure my favorite team was closely watching France v NZ but I could only read about it.

Latest posts