• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hong Kong 7's: 22nd-24th March 2013

Scotland have just beaten England. What has happened to the England 7's side this season?

Congrats to the French 7s team and supporters, the latest victorious over the Eagles.

Scotland have just beaten England. What has happened to the England 7's side this season?

If they hadn't of won the New Zealand 7's they would be in relegation territory.

Edit: Fairly terrible game by Canada against Hong Kong only winning 14-12, took care of buisness but ugly win.

Last edited:
Looks like Aussie have upset South Africa too... doesn't look like South Africa can make the Cup playoffs now.

Portugal upset Samoa too, and are leading pool C :eek:

Last edited:
NZ beat USA to go through unbeaten. Just. We played a second string side, and USA impressed with their defense, but I must say there was some stupid play by the NZ side.

Neera-Spooner got a yellow card for throwing the ball away after the ball was in touch (directly after the ref told him to just put it down!). Later that half, when down to 6 men we decided to run the ball out from inside our 22 rather than simply putting the ball into touch and re-grouping (this lead to the second USA try). When we did eventually score again, rather than trying to score close to the post and make the conversion easier Neera-Spooner instead ran towards the touchline, making the conversion even more difficult (which we missed!). The next try after that Khan did exactly the same thing. I would call these 'schoolboy errors', but if I saw a schoolboy team making these mistakes I would be embarrassed for them. Ok end of rant. These successive Highlanders losses must be hitting me hard ;)

Fiji 33 NZ 14. Man what a semi final, felt like the final really, the score line doesn't reflect how close the game was, NZ were leading 14 - 0 for most of the first half until Fiji came back. Fiji haven't won the tournament yet though, I hope they don't get ahead of themselves.

It will be Wales vs Fiji in the final. There were a lot of upsets this tourny, Hong Kong having their best tourny yet, they've made it to the bowl final against England

Last edited:
Wales are absolutely dominating Fiji.
It's weird, they haven't looked impressive in the slightest in the build up to the final but they've really switched on now!

wow what a comeback, I really thought fiji were done at half time

Apparently there was yet more controversy surrounding the tip tackle in this one? A Fijian only got a yellow or something? Not seen it so no idea how bad it is. It'll be frustrating if it's a bad one and he got away without a red.

Ilai Tinai should have been red carded.

524911_10151343215588093_1632684157_n.jpg

Photo doesn't show the whole story but I can't seem to find a video. Lee Williams was clearly dropped on his head. Might have been a game changer for sure.

Sadly for Wales they ran out of gas.

Yeah, should've been red.
Ref went to his assistants as well and they said yellow too. Odd decision, but c'est la vie.

Yeah, should've been red.
Ref went to his assistants as well and they said yellow too. Odd decision, but c'est la vie.

It probably would have made the difference but what I saw of the 2nd half, Fiji just looked the fitter side. Would have comeback no matter what the score.

Not sure how I feel about Canada's HK 7's, a couple of good performances, a couple of mediocre and a couple of poor games. I guess we took advantage of our easy draw to secure a decent amount of series points and we moved ahead of England and Oz. Should be firmly out of the relegation zone at this point.

Ilai Tinai should have been red carded.

524911_10151343215588093_1632684157_n.jpg

Photo doesn't show the whole story but I can't seem to find a video. Lee Williams was clearly dropped on his head. Might have been a game changer for sure.

Sadly for Wales they ran out of gas.

Can't really be relying on red cards to win a game though, Wales got their advantage but in the end, 7 on 7 the better team took it

Last edited:
Can't really be relying on red cards to win a game though, Wales got their advantage but in the end, 7 on 7 the better team took it

No, but playing for the majority of the game with 6 players WOULD have made a difference. Trust me I know.

Not sure how I feel about Canada's HK 7's, a couple of good performances, a couple of mediocre and a couple of poor games. I guess we took advantage of our easy draw to secure a decent amount of series points and we moved ahead of England and Oz. Should be firmly out of the relegation zone at this point.

I always knew we were stronger then the US in Sevens and it was BS a couple of years ago when they moved us out of core-status. If the US doesn't pull themselves together over the next few tournaments they are in very real danger of being relegated.