• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby World Cup 2019 Qualifying & Repechage Tournament

Little something which hasn't been posted on this forum at all: Namibia may withdraw from the World Cup due to serious problems within the union. Personally I can't see them pulling out but if they did then Kenya would go to the World Cup as Africa 1 and Uganda would go to the repechage I guess

Well that wouldn't be good for World Rugby. The qualification process has already had its share of scandal.

Though I wonder if it's just a negotiating ploy to get funding.
They still have the money to go on tour to Russia, Spain and Portugal next month, right?
(They cancelled the friendly in Kenya scheduled this weekend, according to, for some reason, China)

There's also a story about Kenya here. The players haven't been paid and are striking. The Rugby Union is asking the government for money.

If they hold off the announcement that Namibia is withdrawing until the last minute, then World Rugby will have to invite Romania to take their place in Pool B. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think what you say is right , I can't remember now if Namibia cancelled their other games or not (the fact I can't remember implies they're still on).

African rugby is just so corrupt, I'd love to say that all these things surprise me but they really don't! If Kenya were to win the reperchage and Namibia dropped out last minute then I have no clue what would happen. Second place in the repechage goes to the World Cup? No idea.

Only a few more days of waiting. The squads would be announced before Friday i supposed.

canada kenya looked like a usa club rugby game... not even MLR level

Germany Hong Kong winner will likely advance

Germany beat Hong Kong 26-9. Canada won 65-19. Germany are looking really good, I fancy them to qualify and beat Canada next week. Perhaps it'd be a good (but painful) wake up call to RC to sort themselves out? Doubt it but Germany qualifying for the RWC would be huge. I was particularly impressed with their forward play (set piece and ball carrying) and also the kicking game. Every single one of those German backs can knock a ball beautifully downfield. Canada have problems in the forwards so I think they will struggle there next week and ultimately lose the game. Hopefully Germany can select this team or something similar for the REC next year. Russia looked good yesterday as well as Romania and of course Germany today. Spain have a good future apparently and some good players in their squad for this month. Five strong sides in the competition next year would be really good and go a long way to strengthening Georgia further.

I was impressed by the German flyhalf having tape wrapped around his head, squashing his nose so that his eyelid stayed in one piece!

Canadian selection was strange for this match. I think I'd still make them marginal favourites but agree Germany are a bad matchup for Canada due to their stronger pack.

I was really impressed by Hong Kong.

Their main issue is that they conceded a yellow card and 12 penalties (vs Germany 6 penalties conceded),
and then they're underweight which makes it hard to defend those rolling mauls.

But they're good at making spaces, and that Yiu Kam Shing (14) got close to scoring so many times, if he had a support runner closer to him...

It was a very close game up until that yellow card at 61'.

Canada vs Germany next weekend will be big, but Canada are still favourites.

Yeah Hong Kong were very good I thought too. Considering their players were physically smaller than Germany's, they defended very well. Also attacked well. I wonder if they'll give Canada a problem or two. We could easily see Canada lose to Hong Kong and Germany lose to Canada, and then the tournament will come down to bonus points and point difference etc.

Canada vs Germany next weekend will be big, but Canada are still favourites
I watched the Canada game in bits up until the score was 32-19. They didn't look impressive in that time despite having vastly superior players. I hear the Canada fans were not at all impressed by their team either at full time. They'll leak tries and points especially in the driving mail which has been an issue of late. I'm going to make a bold prediction right now - Germany to win by 6 and ultimately win the repechage.

Pretty much the repechage decider, Canada vs Germany streamed by World Rugby from 1500hrs GMT/UTC.

It's got to beat watching Dan Biggar* play at the same time, right? :p

*actually rates Biggar

If German pack will deliver, they will win this match.

If German pack will deliver, they will win this match.
I totally agree. I've seen a lot of predictions saying 'Canada will win by 20, Germany have a slim chance at best.' The matches last week showed us that Canada aren't anything special and imo Germany and Hong Kong looked stronger. Rain tomorrow for the game please. My prediction for this? Very bold but Germany by 4.

Yeah I know the feeling. Last two years I've seen a lot of predictions like US will won by 7, Samoa by 12, Canada by 10 but only Tonga managed by 5 vs Oaks ;)

Canada have been declining but there was a large gap between Germany and Russia/Spain in the REC.

Canada have their noses infront, 3-0.

I'd actually like them to win because they now have a professional club for 2019, they are more likely to be competitive for the RWC than Germany.

Try for Canada now, 8-0 with conversion to follow.

And Canada qualify. Though Hong Kong do enough to stop them getting the bonus point.
(unlike Kenya and Germany)

There was real hope after the REC that a Tier 3 country would qualify for 2019, but it wasn't to be.

It's all the same 21 teams this time, except Romania miss out instead of Uruguay or Russia.
You can't say Canada didn't earn it though.

Last edited:
And Canada qualify. Though Hong Kong do enough to stop them getting the bonus point.
(unlike Kenya and Germany)

There was real hope after the REC that a Tier 3 country would qualify for 2019, but it wasn't to be.

It's all the same 21 teams this time, except Romania miss out instead of Uruguay or Russia.
You can't say Canada didn't earn it though.

I doubt Canada would have defeated Spain or Russia in the repechage. They are incredibly lucky with the mess in Europe. But if this combined with them getting a professional team helps keep rugby in Canada on life support then I won't begrudge it.

Latest posts