• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hong Kong Sevens

K

kaftka

My word. What a thrashing New Zealand are being handed by Fiji.

28-0

At half time!!! :eek:

I thought there was some hope for us after the OZ and Scotland games...

Truly brilliant performance by Fiji in the first half.

The only players who seemed to really want to win for the kiwis were Jane and Rakim.

Y'know that Rakinbuca ir whatever. In the second half there was no real urgency. I felt sure we'd get to the final. I thought the biys had stepped it up.

Sevens is such a stupid game.

SEVENS IS NOT STUPID!! :p

I heart sevens. Its cool, its like the twenty20 in cricket..except we rule at it..we just cant win in hong kong :(

England have had a great sevens tournament at the mo, should be interesting to see what happens....

wales are getting better - and should win the plate. it would have been nice to see them go through - but this year havent been too bad, for a side that aint been on the sevens circuit for three years.

Bloody South Africa getting schooled by England as per usual......England are just waaaaaaay tooo good!

Oh well......come on Fiji in the final! :bravo:

Originally posted by BBC SPORT
England will meet Fiji in the final of the Hong Kong Sevens after they beat South Africa 24-0 in the semi-finals.

Mathew Tait, Simon Amor, Tom Varndell and David Strettle were the tryscorers as England cruised through.

Fiji looked in ominous form as they beat New Zealand 35-10, with tries from Mosese Volavola (2), Jone Daunivucu, Filimoni Bolavucu and Neumi Nanuku.

Earlier, England had to survive a real fright, coming from 10-0 down to beat Samoa 14-10 in the quarter-finals.

Scotland also reached the quarter-finals, but fell to a 26-12 defeat against Fiji.

Meanwhile, Wales moved to the final of the Plate Trophy against Kenya after a 29-0 win over Canada.

Wales reached the semis with a 31-0 win over Portugal in the quarter-finals.

Originally posted by IRB Sevens Website
In one of the most heart-racing, topsy-turvy finales to a Sevens tournament, England beat Fiji in the dying seconds 26-24 to take the Cathay Pacific/ Credit Suisse Hong Kong Sevens and - just as importantly - close the gap in the race for the IRB Sevens crown.

Ben Gollings, mysteriously overlooked in Melbourne, was England's saviour, dashing over at the last to take England level, and converting the try to the extasy of the thousands of England fans.

Varndell put England ahead early on, but Daunivucu hit back. Gollings scored, then Tait for a 19-7 England lead, but Fiji hit back strongly.

Tries for Dranivasa, Naevo and Ryder edged the Fijians into what looked a winning lead, only for England to break up field through Seymour and gain the valuable possession they needed to allow Gollings to scamper in virtually unopposed.

The victory takes England to 90 points overall, just six points behind the Fijians on 96. South Africa lie on 70 points and New Zealand on 56.

Fiji were to first to book their place in the final when they beat New Zealand to make their fifth final out of five this season. Tries for Volavola (2), Bolavucu and Dranivasa put Serevi's men 28-0 up by half time and, although New Zealand fought back with tries from captain Ioasa and Hunt, a late Nanuku effort made the final score 35-10. Fiji had earlier come from behind to beat Scotland. New Zealand, had made the semis after Cory Jane inspired them to a win over Australia.

England then overcame South Africa 24-0 in a passion-filled match. First Tait sprinted the length of the pitch to score under the posts, before Mdaka scored for South Africa, only for his try to be disallowed after play came back for a Jonny Mokwena yellow card. Simon Amor stretched England to a 12-0 half time lead - hard on South Africa skipper Jaco Pretorius, whose defence was almost single-handedly keeping South Africa in the match. Varndell and Strettle - together with Bolavucu vying for the honour of fastest man in the tournament - both scored after the break to stetch the lead to 24-0, and although Juries tried and tried, England held their lines.

good stuff!

anyone know if there are going to be any tv highlights of this in the UK?

Originally posted by Ashton@Apr 2 2006, 12:07 PM
good stuff!

anyone know if there are going to be any tv highlights of this in the UK?
I havent seen anything about highlights, considering the final happened in the last hour it would of been cool to have some live coverage, but coverage of the sevens in this country is really awful, it really annoys me...

Shame we couldn't do this in Melbourne really.

But great to notch up another win, Hong Kong really seems to be a lucky place for English 7s.

i really wasnt expecting nz to win this tournament....they hav a very young team...they need to find a new playmaker since amasio valence has moved to japan and orene ai'i is injured...

the playermakers are the key players for each team...henry paul, ben gollings and simon amor for england...serevi, danivucu and ryder for fiji....nz at the moment has no experienced playmakers...
its a tough job for gordan tietjens...he finds the talent and after one season the talent is swooped up by the s14 franchises.

Latest posts